Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P30 sights help

P30 sights help

My P30 shoots low and slightly left, about 3 inches down and 2 out at 25 yards. I need a front sight that is lower than mine (factory tritium) and I need a rear sight pusher (other than punch and hammer option). Using a crappy micrometer, the front sight comes to about 0.170, maybe .180. Does anybody have any leads on these two items?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My P30 shoots low and slightly left, about 3 inches down and 2 out at 25 yards. I need a front sight that is lower than mine (factory tritium) and I need a rear sight pusher (other than punch and hammer option). Using a crappy micrometer, the front sight comes to about 0.170, maybe .180. Does anybody have any leads on these two items?
    I would replace the factory sights with Heinie, Dawson (they offer fiber optic, plain or tritium and whatever front height you want) or wait for 10-8 sights which are in development. Alternatively, you can get HK to send you a shorter front sight, and have Tool Tech insert a tritium vial in the factory front sight and paint the rear two white dots black. I routinely need to make a small right rear sight deflection on most every handgun and just give the sight a tap with a hammer and brass punch.

G., thanks. Dawson option seems to be out, as their front sight is 0.170 - which the same as mine. Heinie would be a whole new setup as they don't sell front ones alone. I don't remember for sure, but I think I've read reports that Heinies also shoot low on P30. Getting a lower factory sight could be an option; I wonder if they have lower heights.

My 9mm P30 with Heinie sights shoots high, not low, which motivated me to order Dawson sights with a taller than standard front sight ( .180 as I recall).

I don't remember for sure, but I think I've read reports that Heinies also shoot low on P30.
    A lone data point for you -- My P30 w/ Hienies shoots a little low (align the dot instead of top edge of sight) at very close range and then at 7-ish yards it shoots to POA at the top edge of the sight out to distances further than I would be willing to attribute any variations to the sights rather than myself (accuracy at distance with pistols is a major "needs improvement" area for me).
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Inside of 10Y, I used the "drive the dot" hold.
    For anything past 10Y, it was a center hold.

This just reinforces that pistols vary, and the way people see sights varies. That is why I am delighted Dawson will make sights to the height you specify, and hopefully 10-8 will offer front sights in different heights, just as they do for Glock pistols. That is a frustration I have with Heinie sights -- one front height only.

JV - I know many said that, but I can't figure how this is possible, unless the dot is small and is very close to the tip. 9mm goes nearly flat between 7 and 25 yards. If there is appreciable distance between center of the dot and tip of the sight, I can't imagine that there would that much trajectory change between 7 and 25 to use those two spots as distinct aiming points. In my case, the dot is right in the middle of front sight's blade. To use the dot for 10 and tip for 25, I would have to believe that there is POI drop over this distance to account for half of front sight's height.

Aside from theoretical part, the targets say it is a no go. I get POA hits using dot at 7 yards and 25 yards, and 3 inch low hits using tip at 25. Problem is that the dot covers almost all of bullseye target at 25.

GJM - does one need to contact Dawson to request a custom height? In tritium, I only see 0.170 option,

Site Supporter
    I can't figure how this is possible, unless the dot is small and is very close to the tip.

I see what you did there. Cool.

Anybody has any leads on rear side pusher? I really prefer controllable sight drift vs. hammering it away.

User Tag List