Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Giant spiders moving north

It does make me wonder how fat the birds and small mammal predators in the new range are going to get from these things. That's a fair bit of protein on stilts.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I have the same issue with snakes, poisonous or not. My high pitched kindergarten girly voice is still careening thru the universe over this discovery a few years back... 6 total living in the mower.

Attachment 85527

Attachment 85528
    If I’d have found that, then the mower would have been his. I would have noped my way straight to the lawnmower buying place and had me a new one…..

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    This spider claimed our front window last year, it was very fast and aggressive. (my excuse for not washing these windows).
    We get those behind our shop every year. I think they're cool, and leave 'em alone. Kinda neat to see em get bigger and bigger all summer.

We get a few snakes too. They're not interested in me, and I just let them go on about their business.

Name:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  46.7 KB

Snakes

In Nashville we had a barn built. Day after starting to move stuff in this unwelcome visitor appeared. Wife still checks her bike seat before riding.

Attachment 85545Attachment 85547

Site Supporter
    That is one big ass spider. We get the garden spiders in the yard from time to time and they seem big but they're only an inch or so long in the body. Tarantula occasionally come in the yard too, but they're very docile.

The scorpians are no good as they come inside. Oh, and these things
    Name:  DSC01467.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  27.9 KB

Texas big red headed centapede. That's the first one of those I ever saw, and on my daughter's play house on our deck. It may play an important part in the food chain, but not in my yard, hell no!

My favorite spider moment was driving down a dirt road in Arizona and clearly seeing a spider in the road from the driver’s seat. That doesn’t happen it the northeast. :-)

Stopped, got out, walked up to take a look. Big grey tarantula. Very cool.

Spotted this cousin of joro's a few months back:

Name:  Spidey.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  28.2 KB

Yes, that's my finger.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I’ll take snakes all day over scorpions or centipedes.
    #RESIST

Not a spider, but this guy (seen frequently here in AZ) tops my list for creepiest.

Vinegaroon (Thelyphonida)

"Whip Scorpion"

Non venomous, but you don't want to get bit by one anyway.

Name:  Vinegaroon.jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  7.9 KB

These little bastards have caused me to run into more fences, walls, and trees and contributed to my ability to do a 36" standing vertical leap than any rattlesnake I have ever encountered.

My theory is that the person in the photo holding it in his hand is deceased. I know I would have to be in order to hold one.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post

The scorpians are no good as they come inside. Oh, and these things
    Name:  DSC01467.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  27.9 KB

Texas big red headed centapede. That's the first one of those I ever saw, and on my daughter's play house on our deck. It may play an important part in the food chain, but not in my yard, hell no!
    Anything smart enough to operate that many legs should be considered a serious threat.

User Tag List