Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Military readiness

Military readiness

In the last month or so, I have read that fighter pilot readiness has been affected by a reduction in flight hours in recent times. Just anecdotally, but it seems like they are working hard to polish the rust off of skills. In the winter, we are under the edge of a military training area, and the fighter jet training activity seems to have dramatically increased in the last few days.

Name:  A2F9CE86-ACF1-44A2-968F-227AA2AD1A3D.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  26.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Yeah. It’s been busy up there.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In the last month or so, I have read that fighter pilot readiness has been affected by a reduction in flight hours in recent times. Just anecdotally, but it seems like they are working hard to polish the rust off of skills. In the winter, we are under the edge of a military training area, and the fighter jet training activity seems to have dramatically increased in the last few days.

Name:  A2F9CE86-ACF1-44A2-968F-227AA2AD1A3D.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  26.7 KB
    Interesting. Driving home over the GG Bridge the other day I was surprised to see a couple of fighters hauling ass westward out over the ocean. Assuming they came from Travis. Unusual, because the military presence in the Bay Area is a shadow of its former self. We generally only see fighters during Fleet Week.

Site Supporter
    While not everyone is getting 'busy' in that way - it's very safe to say that the leadership of every element in a US military uniform is talking to their formations about world events right now.

I sincerely hope that things calm down substantially in the coming weeks.

But I hope that our senior leadership has heard the wake-up call and realized that we are not at peace, and therefore we should not be prioritizing endeavors that are best left to peacetime. We need broken in boots, zeroed and cleaned rifles, a commo fill, and packed rucksacks.
    Everything else should be strongly and emphatically secondary to those requirements. Too many of those secondary/tertiary/sounds-good-to-politicians sorts of things have been taking primary priority in training schedules, budgets, and leadership requirements. I hope we see the end of that very soon.

Anecdotally, the good news I've observed is those of us ready to get on a plane tomorrow to go kick in Russian teeth tend to be EXACTLY the ones you'd want with you and leading you.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    But I hope that our senior leadership has heard the wake-up call and realized that we are not at peace, and therefore we should not be prioritizing endeavors that are best left to peacetime.
    +1,000

Not that I'm advocating, but every time I hear a politician state we can't risk a NFZ over Ukraine because it might lead to WW III, I question their grasp on reality.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Not that I'm advocating, but every time I hear a politician state we can't risk a NFZ over Ukraine because it might lead to WW III, I question their grasp on reality.
    Nothing is simple. This does a good job of looking at the costs of doing that. Are we ready to pay the price?

https://warontherocks.com/2022/03/th...e-no-fly-zone/

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Anecdotally, the good news I've observed is those of us ready to get on a plane tomorrow to go kick in Russian teeth tend to be EXACTLY the ones you'd want with you and leading you.
    Of that I have no doubt! I tell friends who get all Chicken Little and send me vids of Russian mil recruiting vids with their underwear models and I'm pleeeez, how many warfighter type folk do you know? I'm rubbing their noses in those model's vids this week.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Well around here many people are still spending a lot of time complaining about too many military aircraft flying around, making too much noise.

Good read, appreciate the link.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I'm about 15 air miles from NAS Whidbey Island. All of the Navy tactical electronic attack squadrons flying the EA-18G Growlers are there if they aren't at sea. They do carrier qualifications and training there. Flight ops up until about two weeks ago were 2 days a week in good weather. Now the flight ops are everyday in all types of weather, sometimes late in the evening after dark. It's damn noisy around here.

Clearly, things are starting to spool up on the home front.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-04-2022 at 03:09 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List