Thread: Switching Back To My S&W 617 Again

Switching Back To My S&W 617 Again

I've been having loads of fun with my Black Mamba, shooting our monthly Steel Challenge Matches and have been improving on each match. In March it's time for me to switch guns and start shooting my S&W 617.

Last year I shot it with iron sights. This year I've mounted my C-More 12 MOA red dot sight on it and went out to experiment with a variety of ammo.

I shot Champions, American Eagle, AutoMatch. Eley and Wolf Match Extra. I only have 3 bricks of Wolf but that gives me 2 matches. It shined as the best grouping ammo this time around. Very light recoil and a pleasure to shoot. Not too dirty, I was able to shoot 10 reloads before having to clean the cylinders. ( I take an electric drill with me for fast clean-up between stages.
    i
    AutoMatch gave me too many failures to fire so it will be relegated as practice ammo while Champion and Target held their own but required cleaning after only 5 cylinders full. Eley had 2 failures to fires but went off on the second strike. Not match ammo.

CCI Mini Mags and Blazers I have a lot of and they work fine. When I'm out of the Wolf ME I'll probably just go with.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/kPYvvUDh.jpg[/img
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have mixed feelings about that picture, but I do love my 617. making a quarter size glory hole in a target at 10yd is child's play for it.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I have mixed feelings about that picture, but I do love my 617. making a quarter size glory hole in a target at 10yd is child's play for it.
    Yeah but that's 25 yards.

Nice! Was that group offhand?

Have you tried Norma Tac-22? It was suggested to me as equal to or possibly better than CCI SV but of course that’s firearm dependent with rimfires.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List