Thread: Romeo3 XL auto-shutoff doesn't work

Romeo3 XL auto-shutoff doesn't work

The title pretty much tells the story. I got a new Romeo3 XL today and put the battery in to test it out. Didn't mount it because I don't have the appropriate MOS plate yet. Anyways, I set it on top of my safe and when I came back an hour later, the dot was still on. Supposedly it has a motion-based auto-shutoff, but it doesn't seem to be working. The manual doesn't seem to indicate that there's a way to turn off the auto-shutoff feature, but I thought I'd ask in case someone knew for sure. I did try removing and reinstalling the battery, but that didn't make any difference. Is there anything else I can try to get it working properly?

I emailed SIG but their web form said it may be awhile before they get around to answering me.

Yes.... try a quality vetted red dot?

I'll throw out that those motion activated sensors can be extremely sensitive. I swear sometimes you can simply look at them and they turn on. Am I exaggerating, not by much!

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Yes.... try a quality vetted red dot?
    Please elaborate.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    The title pretty much tells the story. I got a new Romeo3 XL today and put the battery in to test it out. Didn't mount it because I don't have the appropriate MOS plate yet. Anyways, I set it on top of my safe and when I came back an hour later, the dot was still on. Supposedly it has a motion-based auto-shutoff, but it doesn't seem to be working. The manual doesn't seem to indicate that there's a way to turn off the auto-shutoff feature, but I thought I'd ask in case someone knew for sure. I did try removing and reinstalling the battery, but that didn't make any difference. Is there anything else I can try to get it working properly?

I emailed SIG but their web form said it may be awhile before they get around to answering me.
    Call Sig Optics at 603 610-3000, option 2, then option 2. They are in Pacific time at Optics.

I just set one on the bench and the Motac requires me to tap (or grab) the pistol gently to have the dot awaken but walking alone didn't do it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I called SIG and apparently there's a feature (nothing about it in the manual as far as I can tell), where you can disable the auto-shutoff if you hold down both the brightness buttons simultaneously. The auto-shutoff is working now. This particular sight either must have come that way, or I may have unknowingly enabled it.

Glad you figured it out. SIG has a branding issue - they really should have two separate lines of optics, one light duty like the ROMEOZero and ROMEO5s, and another with the pro gear like the ROMEO1 Pro, ROMEO2, ROMEO3XL and ROMEO4T - with separate product line names. Lumping them all together under the generic SIG banner just muddies the water and probably hurts sales.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Glad you figured it out. SIG has a branding issue - they really should have two separate lines of optics, one light duty like the ROMEOZero and ROMEO5s, and another with the pro gear like the ROMEO1 Pro, ROMEO2, ROMEO3XL and ROMEO4T - with separate product line names. Lumping them all together under the generic SIG banner just muddies the water and probably hurts sales.
    Totally agree

User Tag List