Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Try to carry the best you can do. Means What? CDW4ME ... That's funny.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I somewhat disagree, I think that a more likely reason is that they are simply ready to move on. I believe there is very little altruistic about people in general, including SME's.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion, but how many have you asked why they left? How many have PM'd, texted, or called you and discussed their departure, either before or after? Hell, some have explicitly posted that's why they've cut back on posting or left. I also know why I don't bother posting nearly as much information, etc. elsewhere any longer. I've nothing to sell and my nuts are sufficiently hugged, but I won't waste my time teaching those who don't wish to learn. For awhile, the minority who do want to learn is worth dealing with the others, but it eventually just seems like you're stuck in a loop. Pushing the boulder up the mountain for bringing fire to mankind and all that.

I guess if you'd like to remain cynical you can assume they are lying to themselves and others and it was really all about whatever you want it to be about, and I've obviously not talked to everyone that left, but what I'm saying is the cited reasons.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Everyone is welcome to an opinion, but how many have you asked why they left? How many have PM'd, texted, or called you and discussed their departure, either before or after? Hell, some have explicitly posted that's why they've cut back on posting or left. I also know why I don't bother posting nearly as much information, etc. elsewhere any longer. I've nothing to sell and my nuts are sufficiently hugged, but I won't waste my time teaching those who don't wish to learn. For awhile, the minority who do want to learn is worth dealing with the others, but it eventually just seems like you're stuck in a loop. Pushing the boulder up the mountain for bringing fire to mankind and all that.

I guess if you'd like to remain cynical you can assume they are lying to themselves and others and it was really all about whatever you want it to be about, and I've obviously not talked to everyone that left, but what I'm saying is the cited reasons.
    Todd G. the founder of the forum left for awhile before his passing (he returned eventually) - I believe due to this. Others knew the man way better than I (I never met him but I was active on the forum and read his posts, etc. for years). SLG the current author of pistol-training who picked up the reins - no longer posts here. Darryl from Hits no longer posts here.

I think it’s all for the reason I believe largely that BehindBlueI’s is mentioning. I’m glad we have the SME’s we do and for them. I just show gratitude and try to ask thoughtful questions. It is the same way when I cross SME’s in my professional life. I work with a guy that consults with Cisco’s internal technology board for wireless to advise and represent and is a ratifying member of the IEEE. When I have a wireless question - he is literally the last person in my mind I go to. Would he say to do that? Probably not, but I respect his experience and his work efforts. I go to professionally certified wireless guys I also work with first.

ETA: Same with Jiu Jitsu (back when I did it) - when I met Relson Gracie or Andre Galvao in a seminar. I just shut up and listened as closely as I could.

Not saying SME’s are beyond questioning but their opinion is real dollars valuable and so is their time. Crossing swords with everybody on the Internet when they could be promoting their business and image other ways is probably why they drop off.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    This thread is like "One Weird Trick to Win Every Gunfight"

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    SLG the current author of pistol-training.
    I had no idea that the blog was active again and it’s great news that there is some preservation of the legacy there and I can again passively hoover up good information from SLG. I view this as proof that something positive can be learned even from reading these ultra cringe threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I'm assuming that you are carrying the rest of your EDC loadout regardless of what pistol you are carrying.

To me it makes little sense to carry a small pistol like a .380 as in the overall scheme of things, the pistol is just a small component. I mean really, when I'm loaded up with my IFAK, expandable baton, OC, EDC light, backup mini EDC light, clinch pick, leatherman, signal mirror, VS-17 panel, and watch (that I've taken pictures while it's laying artfully draped on a pistol and posted on the internet) it really makes shit for difference what size your pistol is, might as well carry a 6 inch Model 29 with eight speed loaders.
    I don't really have an EDC loadout. Wallet, phone and keys.

I can't stand pocket carry. Ill deal with it for a 10 min store run but not for all day. Then there's the whole thing with lack of grip.

I actually find full size guns to be comfortable to carry IWB. I don't even notice them. And I would carry one to the store if I didn't have to change twice for a 10 min trip.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Todd G. the founder of the forum left for awhile before his passing (he returned eventually) - I believe due to this. Others knew the man way better than I (I never met him but I was active on the forum and read his posts, etc. for years). SLG the current author of pistol-training who picked up the reins - no longer posts here. Darryl from Hits no longer posts here.

I think it’s all for the reason I believe largely that BehindBlueI’s is mentioning. I’m glad we have the SME’s we do and for them. I just show gratitude and try to ask thoughtful questions. It is the same way when I cross SME’s in my professional life. I work with a guy that consults with Cisco’s internal technology board for wireless to advise and represent and is a ratifying member of the IEEE. When I have a wireless question - he is literally the last person in my mind I go to. Would he say to do that? Probably not, but I respect his experience and his work efforts. I go to professionally certified wireless guys I also work with first.

ETA: Same with Jiu Jitsu (back when I did it) - when I met Relson Gracie or Andre Galvao in a seminar. I just shut up and listened as closely as I could.

Not saying SME’s are beyond questioning but their opinion is real dollars valuable and so is their time. Crossing swords with everybody on the Internet when they could be promoting their business and image other ways is probably why they drop off.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I think forums in general are dead or dying. Imo this medium peaked 10 years ago. It's the same shit over and over. I'm waiting for the newest version of which oil or 45 vs 9 or.....

You log in and it's the same people discussing/arguing about the same thing day in and day out. I'm by no means an SME but at this point I may log in 5 times in one day or one time in 5 weeks. Just kinda however the mood strikes me.

As well as lately there's been very little in the way of innovation. Mostly just same thing repackaged in different skin. I think the last real innovative moment was the Sig 365.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    This thread is like "One Weird Trick to Win Every Gunfight"
    It was the internet equivalent of T-shirt’s sold at state line gas station souvenir shops

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Or it can be an opportunity to teach… and I’m hoping we can make the most of that.
    You’re like a zen Dirty Harry

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I think forums in general are dead or dying. Imo this medium peaked 10 years ago. It's the same shit over and over. I'm waiting for the newest version of which oil or 45 vs 9 or.....
    Which is why we try to not be that forum. If you want that sort of thing, or you aren't interested in deeper dives on topics, you'll likely not find the value in membership here. That's ok. Not everyone is a good fit for every forum.

I can say I've benefited quite a bit from membership here because I was interested in those deeper dives. The most interesting things to evolve aren't the hardware. I gives too shits about how many more rounds they crammed into the future is now's micro9 or how much lighter they got the pull on the glockkilla2030! pistol, although those things are discussed here as well.

Tactics, mindset, supporting skills, changing legal contexts, etc. were why I became a supporting member and later accepted moderator.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    You’re like a zen Dirty Harry
    Do you feel lucky dude?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List