Thread: Substituting Magnum Large Pistol for Standard

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Substituting Magnum Large Pistol for Standard

While I was getting ready to load up some .44spl OWCs last night, I made a discovery. The two bricks of what I THOUGHT were CCI 300 are actually CCI 350. How/when this occurred is a life mystery as I don’t own anything that would use them. My guess is that I didn’t read the fine print.

Has anyone subbed these? Typically, I use Unique in everything .44. Initial thoughts are perhaps backing off the usual 7.5gr, and 6.5gr loads maybe by 3/4 or a full grain and see what happens. Option “B” is to bite the proverbial bullet and grab some off GB since the usual sources are out of stock. I have about 100 prepped and primed cases, plus enough loaded to keep me happy through the spring, but sooner or later the fun’s gonna end.

Suggestions?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    While I was getting ready to load up some .44spl OWCs last night, I made a discovery. The two bricks of what I THOUGHT were CCI 300 are actually CCI 350. How/when this occurred is a life mystery as I don’t own anything that would use them. My guess is that I didn’t read the fine print.

Has anyone subbed these? Typically, I use Unique in everything .44. Initial thoughts are perhaps backing off the usual 7.5gr, and 6.5gr loads maybe by 3/4 or a full grain and see what happens. Option “B” is to bite the proverbial bullet and grab some off GB since the usual sources are out of stock. I have about 100 prepped and primed cases, plus enough loaded to keep me happy through the spring, but sooner or later the fun’s gonna end.

Suggestions?
    Yes you can sub magnum for standard and I have. As you indicated above back off the load a grain and work form there. Might actually save you money in powder.
    The .44 case is large enough that space in the case won't cause a pressure issue if you back off a little.
    If these were 9mm it could be iffy from a pressure standpoint.
    Different powders react differently to magnum primers from a pressure and velocity standpoint.
    I say use em up.

Here's an article from Loaddata.com on the issue.
    https://loaddata.com/Article/BenchTo...stol-Loads/331
    Last edited by baddean; 03-02-2022 at 12:14 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

I have used Federal LPMs in working up beyond book .44S +P+ loads. I haven't swapped standard to magnum on existing loads but I have gone the other way, m to s with no real changes to velocity. The safe mantra would say reduce by5% and work up from there but with my experience with the loads you are doing and if I was doing it, I would load 5 with a unreduced charge and shoot them across the crony. I don't see a mag primer being unsafe of those loads. I was driving that bullet to 1250fps out of my 5 inch.
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 03-02-2022 at 12:13 PM. Reason: clarification

I don't think you'll notice a difference. You can back off a half or whole grain to test, but it's not likely to make a big difference. Unless you're at the upper end of the recommended charge, then back off and work up.

Quote Originally Posted by 4gallonbucket View Post
    I don't think you'll notice a difference. You can back off a half or whole grain to test, but it's not likely to make a big difference. Unless you're at the upper end of the recommended charge, then back off and work up.
    ^^^^ This

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks all.

I figured as much, but I knew someone here had more than likely been down the road. See what they want for LPP’s lately? Yikes. At the rate I shoot the .44spl, I should be good for a bit, or at least allow me to find some eventually in stock somewhere.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List