Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Campers & RVs (5th Wheels, Class A, Super C)

Large Format Campers & RVs (5th Wheels, Class A, Super C)

Back when we were buying our current Class B, I got a lot of good info out of the Sprinter/Camper-Van/Class-B RV Owners? thread. Based on that and a few other discussions around the forum I get the sense that we have some other RVers here.

I'm becoming more and more interested in a larger format RV or camper. A toy-hauler/5th-wheel, or a Class A (bus type) or Super C (class C on a hauling chassis).

Curious to know if others here have, or have had, any of these types, maybe want to share what made you choose one vs the other, etc. or, even if you own a bumper-puller (not currently on my radar) or a standard Class C (kinda maybe sorta on my radar), why'd you choose one of those vs one of the larger options? Price alone, or other criteria?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I've had 3 rv's. All Northwoods. One fifth wheel Arctic Fox and 2 trailers Nash and Arctic Fox. What kind of info are you looking for? Brands, types?

A lot will depend on your budget and how you intend to use it. My wife and I like to go hunting and dry camping as apposed to nice camp grounds (3 dogs) so we went for more of a 4 season heavier duty unit. Our criteria was quality of manufacturer and build over all else. I did research those Super C's pretty extensively. If I was retired and we wanted to travel the country I'd think hard about one of those although tons of folks are very happy with Gas and Diesel pusher class A's. I'm no expert but do have some experience and have done a ton of research so feel free to PM me or ask away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuefelhunden View Post
    What kind of info are you looking for?
    Moreso just looking to discuss in general with (relatively) like-minded folks.

But, since you mentioned having had a 5th wheel, what were/are you towing it with? What are the pros/cons for you of a bumper-puller vs. the 5th wheel? It's just you and the wife, no kids or other family coming along?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Moreso just looking to discuss in general with (relatively) like-minded folks.

But, since you mentioned having had a 5th wheel, what were/are you towing it with? What are the pros/cons for you of a bumper-puller vs. the 5th wheel? It's just you and the wife, no kids or other family coming along?
    No kids just dogs but I think you are thinking of space which is why I mentioned the dogs. Enough space to be comfortable is very important.

I towed a AF 32-5 fifth wheel with a RAM 3500 dually diesel. 16000 lbs fully loaded. Fifth wheels are the best bang for buck in regards to storage and interior space and they tow nicely behind the appropriate tow vehicle. On the truck I would not go below 1 ton and recommend dually. We gave up our fiver because it was just too big for the kind of camping we do. Mainly too tall going through trees and such. Also, some State and National camp grounds do have size restrictions if that is important.

We downsized to a 32' trailer with a great floor plan with lots of floor space and couldn't be happier. A traditional travel trailer will be potentially cheaper, smaller, and many more options and floor plans to choose from. Regarding length I personally wouldn't go beyond 32' of length. They can sway in windy conditions during towing but modern sway control hitch's help a ton to prevent that.

Really coms down to your priorities, what you are going to tow it with, how you like to camp and what your budget is. Looking for a serious cross country setup for the whole family? Fifth wheel and appropriate truck to pull it. Occasional weekender in local camp grounds with the family? A travel trailer may suffice.

Learn from my mistakes, buy the truck first! My wife and I finally settled on a 30' Winnebago travel trailer with an "all living" floor plan that we love. Towed by an F-250 SD 6.2L crew cab. More than adequate towing for out 10K travel trailer. Many try to tow larger than they should with their Ecoboost 1/2 tons and it's not always ideal. Yes, you can tow it, but can you steer and stop it?

Although 5th wheels are great for turning and maneuvering, the overall size of some of them minimize your various camping sites. Don't buy a toy hauler unless you actually have the toys, else you lose ~13ft of living space. I've seen many folks later regret their toy hauler and lose their ass when trading or selling.

Personally, if you are just browsing, I'd wait another year or two before buying. Given supply chain and employee issues, the current lot of available units are thrown together. I've heard horror stories from those who have bought 2021/2022 model year units. They were built cheap to begin with, I can only imagine the problems the current one's have. Just my .02.
    Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 03-02-2022 at 01:20 PM.

+1 agree with all of that. I would only add don't be afraid of a used unit. If taken care all the gremlins and bugs have been worked out for you. All 3 of the new ones I have had needed something done or fixed. All under warranty but it just happens. A good used unit should have all that sorted.

We love our Class B.

Hated the Class A and sold it to a friend.

Couldn’t get comfortable with the feeling we were driving a plywood box… watching Top Gear episodes didn’t help.

If I had to do it over again I would do a Super C for retaining more truck features and safety for the driver and passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    We love our Class B.
    We do too, in certain circumstances. it's a great activity vehicle, good for just wife and I, or just wife and kids, but with all four of us... it's not great to be honest. Being based in SE Florida, we gotta have a way for 4 people to sleep under air at least 6 months out of the year, and a B ain't it. The kids slept in a tent while we slept in the van when we went out west, and it worked fine (although again, you lose some of that mobility around movement when you have to pack up a tent) but that doesn't work in SE FL.

which is part of how I'm arriving at the idea of a larger unit. The benefit of the B is the easy of parking/moving/etc. and being more mobile in general, but that small size comes at a cost. I could buy a van, minimally fit it out for our local beach trips and other tailgating outtings where we love having the B (having it at shooting matches has been awesome!) and then do a larger RV for actual camping. either having an A/super-c to be able to have a toad, or a 5th-wheel/toy-hauler and the toy vehicle becomes the runaround.

I'd like to stay places longer too (which my wife doesn't agree with, but whatever) and there again parking the B for a week starts to get old.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Don't buy a toy hauler unless you actually have the toys, else you lose ~13ft of living space. I've seen many folks later regret their toy hauler and lose their ass when trading or selling.
    that's part of my equation. Do we want to, or would we, take any "toys". Right now we have a street legal golf cart which would be nice to have in many cases. If not, a Super C and a Wrangler toad might make more sense.

Having not experienced one, the "garage" and "patio" seem like nice additions to have to me though. I see some with a dedicated AC and half bath back there, seems like it would be a great "kid land", there are a lot of waterfront sites where it would be cool to have the ramp/patio/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    We do too, in certain circumstances. it's a great activity vehicle, good for just wife and I, or just wife and kids, but with all four of us... it's not great to be honest. Being based in SE Florida, we gotta have a way for 4 people to sleep under air at least 6 months out of the year, and a B ain't it. The kids slept in a tent while we slept in the van when we went out west, and it worked fine (although again, you lose some of that mobility around movement when you have to pack up a tent) but that doesn't work in SE FL.

which is part of how I'm arriving at the idea of a larger unit. The benefit of the B is the easy of parking/moving/etc. and being more mobile in general, but that small size comes at a cost. I could buy a van, minimally fit it out for our local beach trips and other tailgating outtings where we love having the B (having it at shooting matches has been awesome!) and then do a larger RV for actual camping. either having an A/super-c to be able to have a toad, or a 5th-wheel/toy-hauler and the toy vehicle becomes the runaround.

I'd like to stay places longer too (which my wife doesn't agree with, but whatever) and there again parking the B for a week starts to get old.
    Agreed. And a Super C with slide outs might be the ticket.

More work but possible would be Class B pulling a pop up trailer or Airstream type thing?

User Tag List