Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC Knife issue - Benchmade Mini Grip

EDC Knife issue - Benchmade Mini Grip

My usual every day knife is a Benchmade Mini Grip. I like it a lot. However, I've had this issue off and on and it concerns me somewhat: When I draw from closed front concealment (carrying either SS IWB or AIWB), the hem of my shirt will catch on the clip of my knife and un-seat it from my pocket such that it goes flying to the floor.

Anyone else have this issue and how did you solve?

I've thought about just redneck engineering the clip a little to remove the bent-out lip from the tip of it some.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    My usual every day knife is a Benchmade Mini Grip. I like it a lot. However, I've had this issue off and on and it concerns me somewhat: When I draw from closed front concealment (carrying either SS IWB or AIWB), the hem of my shirt will catch on the clip of my knife and un-seat it from my pocket such that it goes flying to the floor.

I've thought about just redneck engineering the clip a little to remove the bent-out lip from the tip of it some.

Try clipping it between the pants and the belt?

If you remove the "bent out" then the clip will dig into your palm while you're using the knife.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Actually I have had that happen with certain knives. I’m not willing to move where I carry my EDC folder, so I just don’t use those knives.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Interesting...Just the other day in fact I noticed the clip (OEM) on my Mini-Grip was about 1mm proud of the surface of the scales...such that it wasn't sitting very securely in my pocket. I removed the three torx screws and bent the top a bit, so it was angled more sharply, and remounted it. It's very firm now.

I don't know if the steel just bends from use or what. FWIW I don't seem to have this problem with the wire clip on my Spydey Dragonfly 2, it has always been very secure.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-02-2022 at 11:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    I had this happen once or twice with the clip on the Kershaw random task blade. The scales were polished G10 and super smooth. I stopped carrying the knife because of that issue.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I'd weigh the priority in terms of placement of knife vs holster, then determine whether I can simply relocate the folder. To wit, I sometimes clip a (smaller) folder in my rear pocket and suffer no penalty in terms of easy access.

Yep, I know the issue well.

My resolution was easy - I am semi-ambidextrous so I simply carry my Mini Grip in my left pocket instead. No more slinging it across the room with a draw.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Actually I have had that happen with certain knives. I’m not willing to move where I carry my EDC folder, so I just don’t use those knives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I had this happen once or twice with the clip on the Kershaw random task blade. The scales were polished G10 and super smooth. I stopped carrying the knife because of that issue.
    I'm in this camp as well. If clip modding doesn't fix it, I'd get rid of it.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post

Clip design is underrated when choosing a knife. There’s a large aftermarket for clips for the mini grip that could solve this problem.

Just have to decide do I wanna spend $30 on a clip for a knife I like or $100 to find a similar replacement knife.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    I am semi-ambidextrous so I simply carry my Mini Grip in my left pocket instead. No more slinging it across the room with a draw.
    There are good reasons to carry a knife on the support side--that's where mine is. But, it didn't prevent snagging for me.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List