Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: El Presidente question

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    In the Jan/Feb 1979 issue of American Handgunner, Jeff Cooper describes the setup as "three I.P.S.C. Option targets are placed ten meters distant, three meters apart".

Ref:
    https://americanhandgunner.com/1979issues/HJF79.pdf
    That's what I remember as well.

10m spacing makes the drill a LOT harder. Suddenly a 10-second par time is downright miserly.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Ah... El Pres.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    That's what I remember as well.

10m spacing makes the drill a LOT harder. Suddenly a 10-second par time is downright miserly.

Okie John
    Which is why I started this thread.

When I took Gunsite 250 in 1995 I remember the targets being 3 yards apart, but later at other schools and shooting events people were placing them 1 yard apart and getting times way below normal.

Just a footnote for humility:
    Shot this at lunch with a coworker. We do not have the “Option/USPSA/IPSC” targets at work, but did our best w/“Q” targets. We were able to get the 9 feet between targets, and I believe there is a difference.
    First run w/a bozoed reload=12.49. Somewhat redeemed myself with a 9.52 and 9.34-all good hits.
    A little humility in history is not a bad thing…

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

Ah... El Pres.
    This is what I'm talking about and why I asked about the original version which we now know was:

From concealed, in carry gear, hands relaxed at the side, with targets 3 yards apart.

Not knocking Ben S. in this video as I've seen others perform at the same speed, but this is not the original El Presidente.

That American Handgunner article was a kick! I’m so old, I actually recall reading it…
    If we’re going to do original, don’t forget the 1911 in a Summer Special, 7 round mags and 230 “hardball”!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    That American Handgunner article was a kick! I’m so old, I actually recall reading it…
    If we’re going to do original, don’t forget the 1911 in a Summer Special, 7 round mags and 230 “hardball”!

I wish there were a way to like this more than once. It reminds us how much things have changed in the last 40 years. Are we better off now with our carry optics, AIWBs, and increasing demands for better hit factors? I doubt it. But do not let that doubt keep you from chasing your dragons all over creation. LOL. YMMV. And so on and so forth.

@TNK: I sincerely appreciate the sentiment, sir! Speaking for myself, I am a bit better off. The G19 w/optic I usually have has allowed me to continue shooting, especially at distance. I treat the Glock relatively casually-not as maintenance intensive. The JMCK IWB(I’m not a “cool kid”w/AIWB) is one of the best holsters I’ve had over the centuries. Not chasing hit factors much anymore, but I appreciate how competition has brought us along.
    The late Louis Awerbuck(RIP) once said something to the effect that a good man with a bolt gun could be a formidable adversary. Nothing wrong w/a .45 LW Commander, but keeping up is a bit less painful these days.
    As you say, YMMV; I say: keep shootin’ something!

I found it interesting to note that in the Handgunner article Cooper made a reference to dry fire as a method of practice. Here we are all these years later and dry fired is often touted as a sensible and economical way to improve skill (a recommendation I agree with).

Cooper May have become a bit of a contrarian in his later days, but he was definitely someone who contributed a lot to the craft.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Following.

El Prez is dry drill number 10 in my Steve Anderson Dry Practice book I've been using. I have 2/3 scaled USPSA targets at 21' (approx full size at 10 yd) due to where I dry practice (garage.) They are currently set 2 feet apart, but I'd be very curious what "the" distance is supposed to be. Steve doesn't mention a distance in the book.

Attachment 85308
    Very cool setup.

User Tag List