Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers "The Test"

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Excellent shooting/time from the holster. I shot this drill for the first time this last April in a Hackathorn class. I passed every time but with low scores. It kicks my but. I can approach somewhat decent at 5-7 yard rapid fire shooting with .20 sec splits on an 8" target with a round sometimes two (when I get too target focused) dropped out of the A zone during a Bill Drill for example, and I can shoot 1" groups at 7yards and 3"-5" at 25 with no time pressure, but a more intermediate target with an emphasis on accuracy/precision AND time like the Test is definitely a weak spot for me. I'll have to start shooting the Test regularly, when I can use a range that allows for timer use, which is another problem. The other problem is starting to shoot regularly and avoiding binge training, but now I'm wining.
    thanks! It's definitely a tricky drill - it helps that I've shot it dozens of times in the past 2 weeks or so. I actually shot it so much that I ran out of B8 target centers... will have to print off more!

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I will shoot it from low ready.... one of these days.

Think about all the extra X's you'll get with the extra time!

Tried The Test for the first time today. Shot 4 times with WWB 115gr FMJ in a G19. Scores were 94(1x) 9/10 black 7.33s...95(4x) 9/10 black 6.77...98(5x) clean 6.43...97(4x) clean 8.24

The two passes shown below:

(the target is the back side of the kyle lamb vtac target, which is listed as an SR71 bull, but the dimensions are identical to the center of a B8, black is 5.5" circle, you can see it the squares are 1" and the black is 4 full squares and two 0.75 squares...also I measured them to be sure lol)

Last edited by Steaz; 06-11-2016 at 12:51 PM.

I ran two other pistols through The Test several times today. One was my very first .40 pistol, taken to the range for the first time.

My favorite tests/targets of the evening were:

FNS40 Federal Al case 180gr TMJ, 6.23 seconds, score 97/100 (almost clean, one was not in the black). (I also had a 7.23 94/100 with Gold Dots)

Glock 26 with Federal HST 147gr, same test, 6.52 seconds 96/100, clean
    Last edited by Steaz; 06-21-2016 at 08:06 PM.

I am new to appendix carry and the NY1 trigger so I ran this several times in a row to see if I could clear it with a draw.

Glock 26 - Gen 4
    NY1 Trigger/stock connector
    JM Custom
    Cheap blasting ammo

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  22.2 KB

Views: 695
Size:  22.3 KB

Views: 644
Size:  22.0 KB

Views: 648
Size:  22.3 KB
    Last edited by GAP; 06-26-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Ran this twice today, back to back with a P30 and a G4G17.

Tricky for me transitioning triggers without any dry fire in between, but it worked out okay. Pushed the P30 a bit left in comparison.

G26 - Gen 4 right from my JM Custom. Finally hit 100 cold, now I just need two more in the X.

Views: 802
Size:  24.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    G26 - Gen 4 right from my JM Custom. Finally hit 100 cold, now I just need two more in the X.
    Really?

I would say, you are shooting it too slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Really?

Ummm, I would say he did a damn fine job. This is a trigger control drill in which the goal is to use the alloted time and get the best hits possible. Looks good to me.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Really?

If I wrote down 10.01 you'd be correct.

Where's your target?
    Did you read the rules of the test?
    Can you show up to a range cold, draw and group like that with a subcompact?
    Fitting name.

User Tag List