Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers "The Test"

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Was it scored just In the black or Out of the black - or by the actual scoring rings?

Thanks (and great shooting).
    Ken used the scoring rings.

When I first read about it, I tried it a few times and found it pretty easy to keep all the shots in the black, thinking I was a pretty good shot. But then when Ken said it wasn't just keeping the shots in the black, but scoring the target, the confidence level drops a bit. lol

And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
    Ken used the scoring rings.

When I first read about it, I tried it a few times and found it pretty easy to keep all the shots in the black, thinking I was a pretty good shot. But then when Ken said it wasn't just keeping the shots in the black, but scoring the target, the confidence level drops a bit. lol

And thanks!
    That is how I recalled it from Ken's class last year also. It's trickier than it first sounds.
    "I realized all the mindset talk was useless without action and that with action, all the mindset talk was unnecessary." - Mike Pannone

Here is a video showing Ken administering the test to Larry and Super Dave.

Starts at around 2:47

https://youtu.be/IIl912RdZC8
    Last edited by EMC; 04-15-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Tagged.

I thought that Larry Vickers shooting a glock left on the test was interesting and Ken telling him he might want to drift that sight to the right.

Tried this today for the first time:
    97 pts - 9.29 sec - Glock 26 Gen 4

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  21.6 KB

I disagree that this is only a trigger control drill. For me anyway, it also is good for sight tracking and testing my grip. I have been shooting it and a couple of variations a lot lately. I have been noticing that around shots 6 or 7 my grip starts to break and I have to clamp back down. Now I realize that seldom will I be called on to shot 10 shots in a row under most circumstances but this could still be a clue that I need to concentrate a little more on grip. I always run the standard version from the holster and call all in the black a pass. The variations I run are 5R5, and 5SHO/5WHO. My best run today on the standard version, but from concealed holster, was a 7.45 second, 97 point 3X run.

Cleaned "the test" for the first time today. 5 10's and 5 x's in 7.75.

Such a great drill.

Vickers and Hackathorn are very good at creating drills/standards.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 04-24-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I disagree that this is only a trigger control drill. For me anyway, it also is good for sight tracking and testing my grip. I have been shooting it and a couple of variations a lot lately. I have been noticing that around shots 6 or 7 my grip starts to break and I have to clamp back down. Now I realize that seldom will I be called on to shot 10 shots in a row under most circumstances but this could still be a clue that I need to concentrate a little more on grip.
    Agreed. Trigger, sight tracking, grip, cadence. It is very revealing of grip issues for me as well. For reset shooters, a way to work with that. I use it at the start and end of the session.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-24-2016 at 12:54 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Also... since this thread has had a bit of a resurgence...

Hackathorn said on Tac TV: "If I could only practice one drill... The Test would be it."
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 04-24-2016 at 12:50 AM.

User Tag List