Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers "The Test"

The black is 5.5"
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Nope, () the 9, 10 and X constitute the black.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The Test (Classic): 10 yards; 10 rounds; 10 seconds; low ready with a pistol with a capacity of 10 or more.

The Test - 1911 Version: 10 yards; Eight rounds; 10 seconds; from the holster
    I believe you have those reversed -- the gun that needs a reload starts from the ready, the gun that needs no reload starts from the holster.

The 90% that Wayne mentioned doesn't mean 90 points out of 100, it means nine of the ten shots are inside the black.

I shot it today, only had B-16 targets. First run was all in the black in 6.89 from concealment. Second run I tried to get better hits and slowed down to use the time available:

(89-1X in 8.28s)
    Don't know what it would be in B-8 terms.

The black part of the bull must be 5.5" in diameter. 10 rounds from 10 yards in 10 seconds, from the ready.

All 10 rounds in the black, go/no go.

That's the variation I have the most experience with standing in front of both Ken and Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The black part of the bull must be 5.5" in diameter. 10 rounds from 10 yards in 10 seconds, from the ready.

All 10 rounds in the black, go/no go.

That's the variation I have the most experience with standing in front of both Ken and Larry.
    This is very good news! For my scores.

In our class we were scoring with the rings but with the span of control across the class I could easily have mis-understood Ken.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The rings can be scored, but there's not too much reason to do that until you have either everyone cleaning it or you have a shoot-off between the top guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I believe you have those reversed -- the gun that needs a reload starts from the ready, the gun that needs no reload starts from the holster.

The 90% that Wayne mentioned doesn't mean 90 points out of 100, it means nine of the ten shots are inside the black.

I shot it today, only had B-16 targets. First run was all in the black in 6.89 from concealment. Second run I tried to get better hits and slowed down to use the time available:

(89-1X in 8.28s)
    Don't know what it would be in B-8 terms.
    Todd,

When Ken and Larry ran it, the 1911s only fired the eight shots they had on board and since they had a nominal two shot pad over the high caps (in terms of rounds NOT required), they made the single stack guys start from the holster. I think that there is likely lots of "drift" on this drill and lots of variations out there. I'm just posting how they came "from the horse's mouths". As for scoring, LAV was scoring the rings on everybody and setting a 90% pass standard, which translated to 90/100 for the high caps and 72/80 for the 1911 crowd. To make folks feel more included (so they can get a trophy and eat pizza with the rest of the team), I've run it lots of times with the B-8 bull's black being a full count area and the eight ring down one point.

Any way you run it, The Test is a pretty good tool for moderate speed and accuracy testing. The Half Test (from holster - 10 rounds in five seconds at five yards) really puts most folks into the ditch the first time they run it and somebody that can shoot it clean or down a couple, when scoring the rings, is a solid shooter.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

We are diminished
    Wayne... You're exactly right and I remembered wrong about the low capacity guns needing to reload. Thanks for clearing it up!

There was a AAR over on FT&P froum from a few years ago that had a embeded video of Ken H shooting the classic version of the test with a glock 19. The video is no longer good but it was informative. Ken H shot it clean by the way. The version he shot was 10 rounds at 10 yards in 10 seconds from the ready.

that is what I was looking for, thanks.

User Tag List