Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers "The Test"

Hmmm...just realized that all shots need to be in the black

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Hmmm...just realized that all shots need to be in the black
    That depends on how you want to score it. Vickers and Hackathorn did it differently. I believe Vickers preferred all in the black and Hackathorn preferred 90 points or above. I might have those backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    That depends on how you want to score it. Vickers and Hackathorn did it differently. I believe Vickers preferred all in the black and Hackathorn preferred 90 points or above. I might have those backwards.
    Thanks! Will work on getting all 10 in the black and under time

Pretty sure with either Vickers or Hack all shots had to be in the black to pass, Hack just added the scoring.

Either way that’s the way I do it, anything out of the black is an automatic no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Pretty sure with either Vickers or Hack all shots had to be in the black to pass, Hack just added the scoring.

Either way that’s the way I do it, anything out of the black is an automatic no go.
    Evidently vickers all black. Hack 90 or above. I should try for all black

https://youtu.be/zE9TtOwKA4I?si=U8oac5-CnD-bcK40

Evidently vickers all black. Hack 90 or above. I should try for all black

https://youtu.be/zE9TtOwKA4I?si=U8oac5-CnD-bcK40
    Note that if you want to improve a skill, practice methodology is different than testing methodology.

So in order to improve a test result, you might do something different than just running the test over and over.

For example this was the first time I had her run this. But because of what we were doing in practice, I expected it to be fine. I can break the training down for anyone who wants to do better at the test.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Note that if you want to improve a skill, practice methodology is different than testing methodology.

So in order to improve a test result, you might do something different than just running the test over and over.

For example this was the first time I had her run this. But because of what we were doing in practice, I expected it to be fine. I can break the training down for anyone who wants to do better at the test.
    Sure! That can only be helpful to all.

Sure! That can only be helpful to all.
    It's only helpful to people who want help...

Running drills over and over without improving skills is like playing soccer games and trying to get better.

You kind of can, but it's more efficient to work on component drills in practice where you can experiment with things, use training wheels, improve mechanics in a progressive and graded fashion.

Pretty much all of these tactical tests are variations on a very simple theme.

It basically comes down to SWYNTS training.

Guide to tactical drill mastery

1. Check your trigger press mechanics. Untimed 10 shots at 10 yards. Goal is 2” centered circle.

If you can’t keep them well within a 4” target at 10 untimed, you have no chance at succeeding with time and recoil added in.

Work on dry trigger presses at speed. Have to be able to have that accuracy with a medium aggressive pull, not a bullseye trigger pull.

2. After the trigger presses are squared away, you can work on recoil management.

Set three 3-4” circles at 10 yards and from on target (not low ready) shoot three shots at a 0.7-8 second cadence. Repeat on next circle. And next circle. You’re working for consistency and not for a lucky three.

Keep working these until you’re able to keep all shots within an acceptable radius (your acceptable will be a personal choice based off what your commitment level is).

Basically there’s no “good enough” and you can always keep learning and improving if you don’t settle.

I keep pushing this parameter to either go faster or tighter, but you’ll quickly be able to exceed the tactical standard if you’re continuing to learn from every shot.

Last edited by JCN; 11-30-2023 at 09:01 AM.

@G19Fan

This is an example of what I’m talking about.

This is untimed, unsupported at 10 yards.

Name:  IMG_0219.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  36.1 KB

Which translates to this with a time limit and recoil management.

Note that I didn’t stop at 10 shots, just at 10 seconds.

Because it’s not about getting a lucky 10 shots, it’s about being able to do it again and again.

Name:  IMG_0222.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  36.0 KB

I could go faster, sure. But then I’d cut it closer to the “fail zone.”

IMO it’s about being consistent under pressure and having margin.

Because if you flinch 10% of the time… what’s to say that won’t be the first shot you pull or jerk and maybe that’s the shot you really needed to hit dead on…

User Tag List