Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P-F.com Useful Target Thread

P-F.com Useful Target Thread

We have the printable target thread already, but I thought a thread to post information about targets we find useful would be beneficial. Anyone who comes to P-F.com and pays attention knows about some of the good targets out there - the LTT target, the Modern Samurai target, the Rangemaster targets, etc. But some aren’t well known and may be useful to shooters. So here’s my initial contribution:

ConcealedCarry.com target https://www.concealedcarry.com/gear/...ooting-target/
    Name:  IMG_3938.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  36.2 KB

Minneapolis PD practice target https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten...ice-target.asp
    Name:  IMG_3918.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  27.2 KB

So what targets do you find useful? For me, having the capability to shoot multiple drills, tests, etc. is what I look for in practice targets.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    We have the printable target thread already, but I thought a thread to post information about targets we find useful would be beneficial. Anyone who comes to P-F.com and pays attention knows about some of the good targets out there - the LTT target, the Modern Samurai target, the Rangemaster targets, etc. But some aren’t well known and may be useful to shooters. So here’s my initial contribution:

ConcealedCarry.com target https://www.concealedcarry.com/gear/...ooting-target/
    Name:  IMG_3938.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  36.2 KB

Minneapolis PD practice target https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten...ice-target.asp
    Name:  IMG_3918.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  27.2 KB

So what targets do you find useful? For me, having the capability to shoot multiple drills, tests, etc. is what I look for in practice targets.
    Good thread idea.. I keep LTTs, Rangemaster Qs, B8s, etc on hand but those above look pretty useful

Here are a couple that I use.

This one is for general rifle marksmanship. The white/buff color scheme shows bullet holes well out to about 300 yards on rainy, gloomy days. You can make them any size you like. This one is 10" across, made by putting a 5-gallon plastic bucket on the backer and painting around it with cheap white spray paint.

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 6.18.33 PM.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  27.9 KB

This one is for zeroing iron sights. Works well for long guns and handguns. I got the design from Ross Seyfried. Bars on this one are 4" thick but you can vary them to suit the distance and sights in question.

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 6.18.46 PM.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  39.1 KB

Both are made on corrugated cardboard to stand up in the wind and long, soaking rain that are common in western Washington.

I use 1.5" sheet metal screws and a cordless drill to mount them on wooden target frames.

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 6.18.21 PM.png
Views: 256
Size:  31.4 KB

If the target blows off of the backer, then it's time to go home.

Okie John
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

If memory serves Seyfried got the upside down T target from an old British target.

The vertical arm is made in a width such it visually matches the front sight width at the distance that it is used. This was to help precision.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Here are a couple that I use.

This one is for general rifle marksmanship. The white/buff color scheme shows bullet holes well out to about 300 yards on rainy, gloomy days. You can make them any size you like. This one is 10" across, made by putting a 5-gallon plastic bucket on the backer and painting around it with cheap white spray paint.

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 6.18.33 PM.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  27.9 KB

This one is for zeroing iron sights. Works well for long guns and handguns. I got the design from Ross Seyfried. Bars on this one are 4" thick but you can vary them to suit the distance and sights in question.

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 6.18.46 PM.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  39.1 KB

Both are made on corrugated cardboard to stand up in the wind and long, soaking rain that are common in western Washington.

I use 1.5" sheet metal screws and a cordless drill to mount them on wooden target frames.

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 6.18.21 PM.png
Views: 256
Size:  31.4 KB

If the target blows off of the backer, then it's time to go home.

Okie John
    I like the bucket lid idea. I have at least one scope with thick crosshairs and it’s difficult aiming on a black bullseye past 100 yards

RJ took my rough idea of a B-8 with negative scoring, and made a printable version.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I stole leveraged @Joe in PNG's idea to use down zero type scoring to create a B-8. Named imaginatively as a "B-8 DZ" (hey I'm an engineer.)

I shot it today, and counting down from 100 was a lot easier than counting up from 0.

Attachment 106465
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I need/want more carbine practice for multi-gun to develop a better sense for how fast I can hit what at how far, right now I think I am probably shooting slower than I need to.
    But the club where I would do the practice doesn't allow personally owned rifle plates outside of a sanctioned match.
    I haven't used it yet, but I have a 4in hole saw and created this negative target as an experiment:

Name:  Negative.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  17.5 KB

Also need to get some more hole saws for some projects on my boat and am finding that simple ones are a lot cheaper than I remember:

Name:  HS.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  58.2 KB

I've become fond of using index cards, 3x5, 4x6, and 5x8, on recycled cardboard, in addition to USPSA, and IPSC targets. I use an indoor range, so setting up 2 or 3 actual targets for transitions, isn't an option. However, 3x5 cards, on a wide piece of cardboard, at half the normal distance, let's me do a little bit of transition work, for things like Blake drills.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I've become fond of using index cards, 3x5, 4x6, and 5x8, on recycled cardboard, in addition to USPSA, and IPSC targets. I use an indoor range, so setting up 2 or 3 actual targets for transitions, isn't an option. However, 3x5 cards, on a wide piece of cardboard, at half the normal distance, let's me do a little bit of transition work, for things like Blake drills.
    So far I can do pretty much everything I need to with some combination or other of B8s and 3x5s (exe. the former as the body and the latter as the head for a failure drill or Fast Test, etc.). Also, since taking his class, I've adopted Chuck Pressburg's approach to target maintenance and that's been very helpful (tape holes outside the B8, use spray glue to replace the B8 and do it often). So, 3M spray glue is my only slightly off-thread recommendation for useful things.

That said, I also really like the LTT target, especially when I'm zeroing something. It's very busy but the ConcealedCarry.com target looks similarly useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    . . . 3M spray glue is my only slightly off-thread recommendation for useful things.
    I'm also a fan of spray glue. I also use it at work, instead of staples, to hang paper targets on the cardboard backers.
    Last edited by DMF13; 01-20-2024 at 12:20 PM.

User Tag List