Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers "The Test"

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Was it scored just In the black or Out of the black - or by the actual scoring rings?

Thanks (and great shooting).
    Ken used the scoring rings.

When I first read about it, I tried it a few times and found it pretty easy to keep all the shots in the black, thinking I was a pretty good shot. But then when Ken said it wasn't just keeping the shots in the black, but scoring the target, the confidence level drops a bit. lol

And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
    Ken used the scoring rings.

When I first read about it, I tried it a few times and found it pretty easy to keep all the shots in the black, thinking I was a pretty good shot. But then when Ken said it wasn't just keeping the shots in the black, but scoring the target, the confidence level drops a bit. lol

And thanks!
    That is how I recalled it from Ken's class last year also. It's trickier than it first sounds.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Here is a video showing Ken administering the test to Larry and Super Dave.

Starts at around 2:47

https://youtu.be/IIl912RdZC8
    Last edited by EMC; 04-15-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Tagged.

I thought that Larry Vickers shooting a glock left on the test was interesting and Ken telling him he might want to drift that sight to the right.

Tried this today for the first time:
    97 pts - 9.29 sec - Glock 26 Gen 4

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  21.6 KB

I disagree that this is only a trigger control drill. For me anyway, it also is good for sight tracking and testing my grip. I have been shooting it and a couple of variations a lot lately. I have been noticing that around shots 6 or 7 my grip starts to break and I have to clamp back down. Now I realize that seldom will I be called on to shot 10 shots in a row under most circumstances but this could still be a clue that I need to concentrate a little more on grip. I always run the standard version from the holster and call all in the black a pass. The variations I run are 5R5, and 5SHO/5WHO. My best run today on the standard version, but from concealed holster, was a 7.45 second, 97 point 3X run.

Cleaned "the test" for the first time today. 5 10's and 5 x's in 7.75.

Such a great drill.

Vickers and Hackathorn are very good at creating drills/standards.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 04-23-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I disagree that this is only a trigger control drill. For me anyway, it also is good for sight tracking and testing my grip. I have been shooting it and a couple of variations a lot lately. I have been noticing that around shots 6 or 7 my grip starts to break and I have to clamp back down. Now I realize that seldom will I be called on to shot 10 shots in a row under most circumstances but this could still be a clue that I need to concentrate a little more on grip.
    Agreed. Trigger, sight tracking, grip, cadence. It is very revealing of grip issues for me as well. For reset shooters, a way to work with that. I use it at the start and end of the session.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-23-2016 at 11:54 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Also... since this thread has had a bit of a resurgence...

Hackathorn said on Tac TV: "If I could only practice one drill... The Test would be it."
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 04-23-2016 at 11:50 PM.

User Tag List