Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers "The Test"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    B8s got too easy so I used an index card today.

Anyone else want to give it a whirl?

Attachment 10094
    B8s are definitely not getting too easy for me, but I gave the index card a try this morning at ten yards.

I did have a ten round warmup, and shot the drill from low ready with G4G19-1. The last shot just _barely_ nicked the card, or at least that's what I'm telling myself

Site Supporter
    Simple yet challenging drills are one of the foundations of skill development

PensFan
    Funny this one slipped my mind for a long time. Shot it twice today. First run was a 7.44 but I jerked one outside.
    Slowed a bit and shot a 8.28 with a G19 Gen5.

Cool app out there. TargetScan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DEG View Post
    B8s are definitely not getting too easy for me, but I gave the index card a try this morning at ten yards.

I did have a ten round warmup, and shot the drill from low ready with G4G19-1. The last shot just _barely_ nicked the card, or at least that's what I'm telling myself

A couple of years later from that post; shot again a few weeks ago. I like this variation of the drill. Low ready with a P30.

Name:  IMG_1634.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  53.5 KB

I really like the G45 and I think it makes me a better shooter than I really am (whereas the G19 yields results that more accurately reflect my mediocrity). Despite my misgivings due to the lack of a Gadget for it, I couldn’t resist and picked up a VP9 a few weeks ago.

My unscientific impressions from a few range visits to break in the VP9 were that it made me a little better still. The recent thread here about the Glock grip angle- https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....liche-evidence - prompted me to do a head-to-head comparison yesterday with the G45 on The Test.

While it hasn’t yet been published in a peer reviewed journal, my research suggests that the science is now settled that stout, balding middle-aged lawyers shoot the VP9 a bit better than the G45.

For each, I shot The Test twice in succession, then shot the Splatterburst target below with 10 rounds from 10 yards, untimed and at a steady but slower pace, to get a sense of my inherent accuracy with each.

G45: stock (with Ameriglo sights), except for Gadget
    VP9: stock except front sight painted bright red.

Name:  Image 1-13-19 at 12.36 PM.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  Image 1-13-19 at 12.37 PM.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  100.5 KB

My score on the first VP9 run was my best ever. Although she has many good qualities, my wife stubbornly refuses to allow me to put the target on the fridge.

Shot this today with Beretta 92A1 from the holster:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Name:  73A8C4E1-9070-46B5-9073-0CA376BD2B5C.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  35.1 KB

100-7X shot last weekend with a stock gen 3 Glock 17 apart from the Proctor Y-Notch sights

This continued heat and humidity has killed my desire for any USPSA style practice and it has been ages since I did any kind of group shooting.

Shot the LTT cold from concealment (cold as in I last touched it in May)
    8.64 seconds
    94 pts/ 3 1/2x
    124 WWB Nato
    I shanked the first 3 shots on the LTT, the trigger travel on the gun feels like a 10 hour drive.
    Name:  20210810_124502.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  60.4 KB

Shadow 2 from low ready
    8.84 seconds
    98pts/ 4x
    125BBITC @ 132PF
    The shadow2 with the gamer loads was taking forever to settle from recoil, the low shot was me trying to push the gun down faster.
    Name:  20210810_124528.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  48.5 KB

Smile Resurrection of the “Test”

Muddling through the internet yesterday, I came across the “Vickers 2 yard torture test”. It takes 40 rounds, but it did remind me of “The Test”-10 rounds from ready in 10 seconds on a B8 at ten yards. Why not this then for my Friday afternoon weekend tuneup? And, just for a little pressure and education, shoot with an old faithful G19 with irons, cold.
    I have been working for the better part of two years with dots…
    Relieved to report I can still see the sights somewhat: 99 points in 8.29 seconds.
    I quit while I was ahead…
    (Edit: I still have to figure out how to post pics…)

And another year rolls around-

I got an old companion back today: a Colt LW Commander in .45acp that had the slide refinished and a gold bead front sight installed. I maybe bring this old warhorse out once a year for sentimental reasons. I wanted to check the sights quickly in close, so I decided a quick run of the Test in its classic form: 8 rounds from the draw on a B8. I checked hits at 3,5 and 7 yards just to make sure things weren’t way off-gtg. Put the target at 10 yards and let’r rip! All in the black in 10.29 seconds; 95 points scored, grouping slightly right.
    I recall Ken Hackathorn would give .30 seconds to account for the buzzer, and I’m taking that today. 230 hardball was a little startling after all the 9x19 over the past year.
    A run to finish with my work G45 and a Holosun EPS yielded a 98 in 9 seconds and change, all “in the black”. The 9 in a polymer gun with optic is just easier. Nice to know I can hit ok with both still.

User Tag List