Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers "The Test"

Site Supporter
    I hadn't done this drill in a while and the discussion peaked my interest, so I tried it a few times today. EDC Glock 35, 180 grain MagTech ball. B-8 at 10 yards, 10 rounds from the Low Ready.

I was able to consistently clean it in the 7.5 to 8.0 second range, but if I tried to drop ANY below 7.5 I started to lose 2-3 rounds just below the black. This tells me I have been laid off from practice too long and need to work on my trigger control.

This drill is a better test than its simplicity might suggest.

All I had was a 4x6 card at 20 yards.
    10 for 10 in 10.03 seconds from low ready.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    All I had was a 4x6 card at 20 yards.
    10 for 10 in 10.03 seconds from low ready.
    That's like a smaller version of The Test... "The Quiz"!! Nice shooting.

The Test was a great motivator for me when I was just working on fundamental marksmanship. It requires *some* speed but not much, just so you have to do the fundamentals on demand a few times in a row. It's a great motivator because as I practiced the fundamentals, all the effort showed up vividly on The Test. I could literally see myself improving week by week, depending on how much I'd practiced. I don't run it much these days, what with my immediate goal of consistent <7s FASTs. But it's a great measure of the basics, especially from the holster, and I plan to include it in my "skills maintenance" plan once I hit my pistol goals.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

The Test is a pure trigger control drill... nothing more, nothing less.

And one of the best out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The Test is a pure trigger control drill... nothing more, nothing less.

And one of the best out there.
    Reminds me of a question I meant to ask. It's obviously a good "Test" of trigger control, but do you feel it's good practice for trigger control, too? I used it both ways, and I think it helped as practice, but maybe I could have done something more effective with those rounds?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    Reminds me of a question I meant to ask. It's obviously a good "Test" of trigger control, but do you feel it's good practice for trigger control, too? I used it both ways, and I think it helped as practice, but maybe I could have done something more effective with those rounds?
    That's a heckuva question.

lol

That's a heckuva question.

lol
    Heh, I wasn't very clear, was I?

I guess I'm just asking, is it worth running this drill over and over in a single session? Or is it best to run the drill occasionally, maybe once or twice per session?

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    Heh, I wasn't very clear, was I?

I guess I'm just asking, is it worth running this drill over and over in a single session? Or is it best to run the drill occasionally, maybe once or twice per session?
    Well, since it's supposed to be a "test" I'd limit it, personally.

You can hit up other drills which focus on trigger control and then go back and take the test.

Well, since it's supposed to be a "test" I'd limit it, personally.

You can hit up other drills which focus on trigger control and then go back and take the test.
    Got it, thanks!

3/4" dots at 3-5 yards, 12 dots per target, 3-5 shots per dot is my trigger control drill.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List