Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tale Of Multiple GP100 Grips Saga

A Tale Of Multiple GP100 Grips Saga

As as follow-on to my ongoing "GP100 In Local IDPA Match" thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....cal-IDPA-Match, I decided to post this grip discussion as a stand-alone thread, but I'll probably also attach it to the original thread for those who want the continuity in one thread.

Recap: Starting with the Ruger/Altamont Compact rubber grip with laminate inlays, moving to the Ruger full-size rubber grip with laminate inlays, then to VZ Twister and 320 G10 grips, and now....to Hogue's rubber Tamer grip, with a sorbethane cell foam/gel insert in the backstrap area.

The reason for the grip quest was simple: Seeking to find an effective, ergonomic, and non-painful grip when shooting the GP100 with full-house, 158 gr 1250 fps .357 magnum cartridges. My use and evaluations concentrated around IDPA matches, where there would be concentrated 100+ round-per-match use, which would serve as a good evaluative venue.

What I found encompassed several areas of shooting-there was a good learning curve for me. First of all, if I fired more than 50 rounds using my autopistol thumbs forward and thumbs adjacent grip, a painful blood blister would develop on the inner surface of my strong-hand thumb; essentially, the support hand kept it in forcible contact with the left side of the revolver grip, where torquing forces abraded the area. Switching to a lowered strong hand thumb with support hand thumb over strong hand thumbnail provided an effective, non abraiding grip on the revolver.

Second, while the ergonomics of the Ruger Compact and VZ G10 grips were excellent, even with the revised grip shooting full-house .357 was still painful, with recoil forces directed into the web of my strong hand, and painfully so. While I was never unable to shoot effectively, and never had to leave a match due to the pain/discomfort, shooting the GP100 simply wasn't a lot of fun.

I experimented with moleskin bandages and shooting gloves. Both mitigated against the pain somewhat, but since my primary purpose for competition shooting is to help and reeinforce my EDC and duty use, I saw a limited viability to the bandage/glove approach.

I'd briefly had theearlier Hogue rubber GP100 grip. I didn't much like it, especially compared to the Ruger Compact grip. The Hogue was angular, bulky and aesthetically ugly. It was much harder to carry conceiled, so after a brief trial period, I gifted it to a friend for use in his sister's GP100-by all reports she is satisfied with it.

I really appreciated the two VZ G10 grips. Their ergonomics are exceptional, and the raised surface ridges and grip incised cuts on the Twister I found to be exceptional. The problem? They are painful to shoot full-house 158 gr .357 magnum cartridges through...there simply is little to no recoil absorbtion provided by the hard, dense G10 material.

Now the reality is that I could be comfortable using either the Ruger Compact or VZ G10 grips defensively, as the reality is that most armed encounters are resolved with less than a cylinderful of cartridges, by FBI tracking results. Additionally, the discomfort is with .357 cartridges-I can fire .38 Special +P cartridges with no discomfort whatsoever.

But, I have dedicated my GP100 to .357 use, and my Security Six to .38 Special +P, so I felt I should orient the GP100 package so that I'd achieve competance in all of my venues-which meant that much as I liked (and still like and appreciate) the previous grips, my quest would continue.

Enter the Hogue Tamer. This is a grip that Hogue has specifically aimed for the larger Ruger Super Redhawk revolvers, and some tactical shotguns and some Smith & Wesson revolvers. The Tamer has a revised and slightly more compact profile than the original Hogue rubber grips for the GP100. After Letts Grips disappeared from the scene, Ruger began instuting the Hogue grips and the OEM Ruger grips for may of their revolvers, especially the GP100. While Ruger purists raised their noses at the bulkier, less concealible, less aesthetically appealing, they persisted for years as the OEM grip, until in the past year Ruger has begun to increasingly offer other grips as their OEM grips for revolvers.

The Tamer was probably introduced as a recoil-reducing grip for the larger-calibered Super Redhawks, what with their heavy and jarring recoil forces, but a happy coincidence is that the Super Redhawk and GP100 share the same essential frame grip contours. The Tamer provides a recoil absorbing Sorbethane foam/gel cell incorporated into the grip's internal backstrap area. Additionally, I much prefer the Tamer exterior profile to that of the original Hogue rubber GP100 grip; the backstrap angle is better, and there's less flaring and protrusion at the heel and butt of the grip, rendering it more concealable.

And-Here's the key thing-It flat-out works. I was able to fire an IDPA match with 1250 and 1000 fps .158 gr .357 cartridges in a 7 stage match with absolutely no discomfort whastsoever, both during and after the match. I'm going to continue to run the GP100 with these grips; mmuch as I really like the alternatives, particularly for their aesthetics and easier concealibility, the Hogue Tamers are operationally more comfortable and desirable. I prefer to have the same set-ups on my EDC/duty guns as IDPA-so while I could EDC/duty carry the Ruger Compact or VZ grips (particularly the VZ Twisters) the Hogue Tamers are simply a better all-around selection for me.

Some comparative images:

The GP100 with Ruger/Altamont Compact grips:

The GP100 with VZ Twister grips:

The GP100 with VZ 320 G10 grips:

The Ruger and VZ grips compared: From left to right, Ruger Fulls size, VZ Twister, Ruger Compact

The GP100 with Hogue Tamer grips:

And yeah, the purposful, business-like aesthetics of the Hogue Tamers are growing on me...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-28-2022 at 01:12 PM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

And yeah, the purposful, business-like aesthetics of the Hogue Tamers are growing on me...

Best, Jon
    "We never remember whether a pleasant woman wuz purty or not."

In the end, if it works for you, you're golden. The Hogues exceeded my personal hypothetical "box" dimensions, but I can be a finicky cat.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I'm glad you've found a grip that works for you. I've lucked out with VZ grips. Their k frame square butts work great for me for hundreds of full power loads.

Its either ahrends or VZs for me. I do really like VZ round butt grips too but not for high round count magnum sessions. They're fine for all day heavy .38s though.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    "We never remember whether a pleasant woman wuz purty or not."

In the end, if it works for you, you're golden. The Hogues exceeded my personal hypothetical "box" dimensions, but I can be a finicky cat.
    I'm actually carrying them as I write, in a Kramer IWB horsehide; they actually conceal nicely. Yesterday I used them in a Galco Switchback OWB, which cants the gun out a little more, so they were more protrusive, but as a duty gun that was irrelevant.

Best, Jon

Last edited by JonInWA; 02-28-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm glad you've found a grip that works for you. I've lucked out with VZ grips. Their k frame square butts work great for me for hundreds of full power loads.

Its either ahrends or VZs for me. I do really like VZ round butt grips too but not for high round count magnum sessions. They're fine for all day heavy .38s though.
    We came to identical conclusions regardijng the VZ's viability comfort-wise for protracted magnum shooting. My comfort threshold with the GP100 using 158 gr .357 with the VZ's is at about the 50 round mark...

Aesthetically, I much prefer the VZ's. Ergonomically, between the VZs and the Hogue Tamers it's a wash. Operationally, I gotta give it to the Tamers-especially if exceeding 50 rounds in a shooting venue/session.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Great job. I reached a similar conclusion before I went to Thunder Ranch Revolver shooting a Police Turn In Model 19. I went Pachmayr and never looked back. Shoot mostly .38 cal 158+P Nyclads with misc .357 thrown in over 3-4 days with no issues at all.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve gone thru a bit of the same thing with my GP100 .44. The factory pebble Hogues are about the best, but not optimal. I tried the compact Altamont/Letts, but they caused the gun to be a bit “whippy” since that big cylinder makes it a bit top heavy. I might try some full size Altamonts for comparison.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    I've noticed the large hogue grips that came with my gp100, while not the easiest to CCW are the easiest to shoot accurately at longer ranges with heavy loaded .357s.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I've noticed the large hogue grips that came with my gp100, while not the easiest to CCW are the easiest to shoot accurately at longer ranges with heavy loaded .357s.

I suspect that you'd find the Tamers to be a bit easier to CCW and equally accurate, and even more comfortable.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I suspect that you'd find the Tamers to be a bit easier to CCW and equally accurate, and even more comfortable.

Best, Jon
    Oh man, I didn't realize they were different grips haha.

Well off to get another set of Goodyears to add to the old "box o grips"

User Tag List