Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to bring Support Hand to Gun?

Adding one more from Master Scott. "Chop" support hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JO5nQs7F4c

I still like Gomez's (RIP) explanation. Took me a bit to grok everything going on, but it's all there. If you're clearing a cover garment, you still bring your support hand up to approximately the same place. If you're drawing from appendix, still same basic movement.

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm fairly adamant about the support hand establishing a "parking spot" flat on the chest and only collecting the pistol in two handed shooting when the pistol is in the bottom edge of the cone of vision.

This gets unforgiving when people run shorter barreled pistols and the support hand collects out of tasking and not from a traditional "ready" position.

I think the actual angle is debatable but I tend to lead with my inside index finger middle joint of the support hand and establish that pocket into the outer hump of the second joint of my strong hand index finger.
    I've been struggling with getting a consistent engagement with my support hand. I've got a good "picture" of how I want this to happen and my press out from a compressed ready is decent for an old guy. I've got a pretty compact draw with the goal of getting the gun in my visual field as early as possible. I happened to watch a 3 minute "Pat Mac" video on the draw an a light went off I'm ashamed to say. What I've been doing is lowering my support hand (from surrender) to about the location of desired engagement. It has proven to be 50/50 in terms of getting the best support hand grip. After watching the video I immediately switched to planting the support hand flat on my upper chest and saw immediate results; support hand engagement improved and the press out became more consistent. This makes perfect sense since starting engagement from a consistent support hand position makes for consistent timing where I start both hands forward as soon as the gun is up and rotated.

The Paul Gomez (RIP indeed) video that @Guerrero posted and this one really brought it home for me...especially from 2:25 on; that was me from '98 to '08 when I switched to AIWB. Being forced back to IWB, I realized what I was doing just didn't feel right, but I didn't know how to fix it until a P-F'er posted both vids in an older a thread I started.

I'm a big fan of Ron Avery's version of the Draw stroke...He was a beast.

I've been making a huge effort to marry my grip sooner and it's helped with the dot being settled earlier. I try to trace the beltline when working from the duty rig

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMjipAuFIU

Quote Originally Posted by Donny B View Post
    I'm a big fan of Ron Avery's version of the Draw stroke...He was a beast.
    Ron had a knack for teaching.

User Tag List