Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Military Combat Knife

Military Combat Knife

If you were going to buy a knife for a guy in an infantry MOS, specifically a sheath knife, what would you buy?
    Not going to set a price limit or range.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I absolutely love the AMTAC Northman though I sometimes wish it was a drop point, (I do love the fixed HEST) but mostly I just love it the way it is. Lots of thought when into it and it shows. It can fit in a pocket with the supplied sheath or go IWB with a different one in any clock position and give a decent draw. It can be carried attached to a drop leg, battle belt, or plate carrier. It can be used as a field knife to dress a deer or preform basic tasks an infantry soldier may need a knife for. It is easy to sharpen and maintain. Con is the tip is more brittle than I'd like more so if you get one that is DE near the tip, not good for prying but over all it checks almost every box from field to defensive use. I find its versatility to easily outweigh any cons though it is expensive. I say this being a former infantry guy serving in light, airborne and mechanized units from reconnaissance to line work. It is an over all excellent package that could be used on an off duty.
    Last edited by Mike C; 02-27-2022 at 01:23 AM.

Already thinking of the same thing for my grandson. Don't know anything about knives, except after elevenish years of infantrying, I really never needed a pointy stabby knife. Although cutting and stabbing, as well as prying and pounding, should be within the knives wheelhouse.

This is an Austrailian company, but they are available from U.S. sources.

https://www.halfbreedblades.com.au/s...infantry-knife

https://www.halfbreedblades.com.au/s...survival-knife

https://www.halfbreedblades.com.au/s...eod-dive-knife

https://www.halfbreedblades.com.au/s...infantry-knife

You can get them here:

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...&brand=996&s=1
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

@Dan Lehr one pound is another mag of 5.56 just saying.

What would he use a sheath knife for?

Most that I know would like a good multi-tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    What would he use a sheath knife for?

Most that I know would like a good multi-tool.
    This is what I was thinking. Shy of SERE concerns, a multitool and small prybar would get most troops further than a fixed blade. For a hard use folder, I really like the Benchmade Griptillian.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

An M9 bayonet.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

ZT350 for a folder

for a fixed blade . . . something like an ESEE Izula or 3" model.

I've spent roughly $1500 on fixed blade knives for two Soldiers. One Infantry one Field Artillery. Mostly the ESEE catalog up to the Junglas!

The above short list is about the only sort of stuff every put to use - at work - including deployments. LOL

Distinct from multi-tools which are wildly popular and used a lot.
    Last edited by JHC; 02-27-2022 at 08:27 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My company was issued gerber multitools prior to deployment. They were an incredibly hot commodity, and people who set theirs down for a moment regretted it every time.

I was a machine gunner in an MP company. So, some stuff is certainly different for an 11 series guy, but a lot is probably the same. Carried in a horizontal belt pouch on my non dominate side, I used it damn near 10 times a day. Pounding on stuck pins in a cradle mount, cleaning gear, opening a locked MRAPs door using the emergency latch behind the armor... it's on my range bag now. Handy forever.

If it has to be a fixed knife, go light weight. I carried a pocket knife and never really used it.

If I was gifting, I'd get a traditional Kbar with branch of service stamped in it, and a nice leather sheath. More of a commemorative thing. Or an older M7, just for the nostogia. The M7 could be carried and used, but I wouldn't bother.

Edit: Our Gerbers were run of the mill ones. One guy had a personally bought gerber with a front sight post tool. Everybody wanted one. That may be less important today then it was in '10-'11 when we shot so much with irons. Moat of us used a round of 5.56 on our front post. I had a little tool and lost it from my helmet band. Guy with the gerber was all our envy.
    Last edited by Cory; 02-27-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    My company was issued gerber multitools prior to deployment. They were an incredibly hot commodity, and people who set theirs down for a moment regretted it every time.

If it has to be a fixed knife, go light weight. I carried a pocket knife and never really used it.
    QFT, Everyone needs a multitool. But you also need a fixed blade. There is no replacement for either.

User Tag List