Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military Combat Knife

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    If you were going to buy a knife for a guy in an infantry MOS, specifically a sheath knife, what would you buy?
    Not going to set a price limit or range.
    Gerber MarkII.

My Gerber multi-tool was one of the most useful things the Army ever issued me. My ASEK not so much. A good folding knife would probably be appreciated and actually get used. You can baton wood with a decent one, if you find yourself having to do such things.

If I could only have one it's a multi tool.

But me being me I want two of everything.

If it's gift get a nice one, I was partial to Randall's, but I never carried one. Folks loved to swipe those.

Should be short and light or it will get pitched into the locker.I got good use out of Ontario pilot survival knives. I could get one for $6 out of supply.

Most of us back then carried folding buck 110s in a belt pouch. Didn't end up stuck in you butt if you landed on it.

Helped a grunt who did a PLF on his KABAR one night, sure looked like that hurt, he had it nice and sharp.

Short stout blade, stainless, and a thick tip.

Gerber LMFII is a fair example.

Quote Originally Posted by 60pilot View Post
    My Gerber... My ASEK not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchen's mill View Post

I've wondered how the ASEK differs from the LMF 2, if they do.

ASEK https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/act...own-22-01627cb

LMF 2 https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/act...brown-22-01463

Site Supporter
    Most .mil guys are using knives for day to day chores, not sentry removal. Multitools win, by and large. If there is a chance of using a knife on a person I like TOPS for fixed blades and Spyderco for foldies...

pat

I had a K-Bar made by Camillus (?) on my web gear because they were issued, but I can't remember actually using it. It was in a USN Mk2 scabbard because we weren't allowed to have a knife in a leather sheath during parachute jumps. I used the Swiss Army Knife (Farmer/Pioneer equivalent) in my pocket several times a day.

Most guys in my company had about the same mix although some carried a Leatherman in a belt sheath. Our company SGM was a knife guy who had published articles in some of the knife mags. He had Doziers and Randalls and his left forearm was always bald from checking blade sharpness. He didn't care what you carried as long as you carried something and it was clean and sharp.

These days I'd go with a multi-tool in a belt sheath, a single-blade folder like the sadly out-of-production Benchmade 750 in my pocket, and a K-Bar on my gear.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I've wondered how the ASEK differs from the LMF 2, if they do.

ASEK https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/act...own-22-01627cb

LMF 2 https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/act...brown-22-01463
    They look the same. Maybe the sheaths are different?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchen's mill View Post
    If I could only have one it's a multi tool.

But…………

I agree, a good multi-tool is probably the best single knife sharp pointy object a modern soldier can own. Plus every time he opens an MRE with it, cuts some 550 cord with it, or uses the pliers to perform some maintenance on something he is not authorized to perform the maintenance on - he will think of the kind person who gave it to him.

I have very much liked my LMF2 as a general camp/outdoors knife even though I purchased mine after I had separated from the Army - I always though if I went back in that it would be what I carried on my belt.

Name:  42D86283-DAC2-4755-B7E6-5986827048FF.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  96.1 KB
    Last edited by Suvorov; 02-27-2022 at 12:33 PM.

I don't own one, but I've heard enough experienced Ranger/SF guys speak to their usefulness when paired with a HD folder and a multi-tool.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Thanks for all the answers so far.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List