Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting a carry mag?

Vetting a carry mag?

So I've installed the Mag Guts +2 spring kit on my 365XL for a carry mag as I like the idea of 14 rounds in the mag of that little gun.

Do you guys have a process or number for vetting a carry mag? Like 100 cycles of carry ammo and good to go or something like that? I'm curious what the gun nerd standards are for this.

I am interested to hear the replies here, but I get focused on ammo. One thing I do with a new type of mag/gun combo in order to trust it is load diverse feed profile stuff in the same mag about 3 cycles to see if some bullet form factor, nose, ogive, etc. is going to have a problem feeding that I may only observe as more sluggish feeding.

I have found that to be a thing, where I will get a warning of something that is going to hang on that particular feed ramp/feed angle/spring pressure/bullet nose/feed lips interaction happens. More than once it has told me "this magazine is not going to feed that stuff with this barrel ramp". I told me either by absolutely hanging, failure to go into battery, but more often just abnormally slower going into battery with a particular round.

I think you really have to worry that a mag that feeds round nose hardball readily for dozens of cycles and hundreds of rounds can start immediately having problems when it gets a different bullet profile or just different OAL. Since I run 147 or 124gr+P Gold dots or HST exclusively, a big mix of those is going to be a test to see if any have a problem of any sort. Mas many times in classes years ago emphasized 200 rounds of the exact ammo you intend to carry without a single problem as the test. I still do that, and never with a freshly cleaned gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    So I've installed the Mag Guts +2 spring kit on my 365XL for a carry mag as I like the idea of 14 rounds in the mag of that little gun.

Do you guys have a process or number for vetting a carry mag? Like 100 cycles of carry ammo and good to go or something like that? I'm curious what the gun nerd standards are for this.
    I shoot it in a practice session (USPSA crap) with some practice ammo ~200-500 rounds. Just trying to see if it has any internal "hang-ups" or snags. If it works there, I'll run 1 entire magazine of defensive ammo (sigh expensive) through it to make sure it feeds/works with the gun/magazine combo.

Then I load them up and pretty much forget about them...

(Edit: I should mention that this is for a Beretta 92... They feed pretty reliably, and I'm more worried about the extendo/spring/magazine interface... )

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I shoot it in a practice session (USPSA crap) with some practice ammo ~200-500 rounds. Just trying to see if it has any internal "hang-ups" or snags. If it works there, I'll run 1 entire magazine of defensive ammo (sigh expensive) through it to make sure it feeds/works with the gun/magazine combo.

Then I load them up and pretty much forget about them...

So...2-500 rounds through the same mag? Thats a huge pain in the ass for a 14 round magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I am interested to hear the replies here, but I get focused on ammo. One thing I do with a new type of mag/gun combo in order to trust it is load diverse feed profile stuff in the same mag about 3 cycles to see if some bullet form factor, nose, ogive, etc. is going to have a problem feeding that I may only observe as more sluggish feeding.

I have found that to be a thing, where I will get a warning of something that is going to hang on that particular feed ramp/feed angle/spring pressure/bullet nose/feed lips interaction happens. More than once it has told me "this magazine is not going to feed that stuff with this barrel ramp". I told me either by absolutely hanging, failure to go into battery, but more often just abnormally slower going into battery with a particular round.

I think you really have to worry that a mag that feeds round nose hardball readily for dozens of cycles and hundreds of rounds can start immediately having problems when it gets a different bullet profile or just different OAL. Since I run 147 or 124gr+P Gold dots or HST exclusively, a big mix of those is going to be a test to see if any have a problem of any sort. Mas many times in classes years ago emphasized 200 rounds of the exact ammo you intend to carry without a single problem as the test. I still do that, and never with a freshly cleaned gun.
    "Dutch-loading" a variety of ammo in the same mag is an interesting idea buddy.

So when Mas gives the 200 round number is that specific to a single magazine? Or just a gun/ammo carry standard?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The only 'new mag' issues I have ever had have showed up very quickly, like 3-5 mags worth of ammo. That said my sample size is *very* small, as I tend to only use OEM mags in OEM configuration for pistols. I don't know how you'd test the durability by analogue vs testing a batch to failure, so I'm useless there as well.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I tried the Mag Guts in a Shield (pre plus), and the combination wasn't reliable. I feel like Sig is pushing capacity in the 365 mags enough, that I would be uncomfortable trying to get more rounds in. I carry my 365 mags down one as it is to making seating the mag easier.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hi Craig,

I use the following recipe:

1 full mag of Speer Gold Dot 124-grain +P
    1 full mag of Winchester Ranger 147-grain
    1 full mag of Speer Gold Dot 147-grain
    1 full mag of Federal Syntech 150-grain
    1 full mag of Magtech 115-grain

Those five have a wide range of bullet profiles, muzzle velocities and recoil impulse. The first three are my usually carry load, based on what I got a decent price on recently. The last two are my usual training/class rounds.

I will sometimes add the Federal HST 147-grain rounds.

I hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing you next month.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I tried the Mag Guts in a Shield (pre plus), and the combination wasn't reliable. I feel like Sig is pushing capacity in the 365 mags enough, that I would be uncomfortable trying to get more rounds in. I carry my 365 mags down one as it is to making seating the mag easier.
    Yeah I'm leery of this kit too and that's why I want to do a good vetting. I've watched several YouTube gun nerd vids on this spring kit and they all seem to like it but they're nerds too so.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Hi Craig,

I use the following recipe:

1 full mag of Speer Gold Dot 124-grain +P
    1 full mag of Winchester Ranger 147-grain
    1 full mag of Speer Gold Dot 147-grain
    1 full mag of Federal Syntech 150-grain
    1 full mag of Magtech 115-grain

Those five have a wide range of bullet profiles, muzzle velocities and recoil impulse. The first three are my usually carry load, based on what I got a decent price on recently. The last two are my usual training/class rounds.

I will sometimes add the Federal HST 147-grain rounds.

I hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing you next month.

Thanks Bill!

User Tag List