Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Working in a Gun Store

Working in a Gun Store

An acquaintance is a manager at a local gun store. It’s a nicer gun store and not an older mom and pop style. They need more employees and working there seemed like it could be fun. I already have a full time job/career. A side hustle has been the norm for me since I graduated college. Selling guns and doing some RSO for the indoor range is part of the gig. I will get an in house RSO cert through it. I asked about also teaching CPL classes. They said they’d get me an NRA instructor cert so I could begin teaching.

A little background on myself. Been into guns since about 2009. Around 2014ish I became a training junkie for about two years. Took a ton of classes from MDFI, Steve Fisher, ECQC, Unthinkable, etc. I like to think I’m an ok shooter and I enjoy teaching. In fact my full time job is teaching golf lessons.

Am I crazy for wanting to do it? Any advise about working at a gun store or teaching CPL classes? I can work basically as many or as few hours as I want. I plan on doing a shift every other week so probably 16 hours a month. Discount on guns, ammo, accessories. Free range time. Right up the street from my full time gig so going in to shoot during lunch for free is a plus for me.

Its a trap!

Site Supporter
    All of those advantages are legitimate advantages. But having been on that side of the counter myself - save your genuine advice for those who are genuinely listening. You'll learn quickly on who genuinely wants to learn more and who doesn't. You won't even have to talk to them to know which is which.
    If a guy walks in and wants to talk your ear off about how the Taurus Judge Polymer is the world's finest home defense weapon, just nod your head and say 'yep' and maybe help him buy decent ammo and maybe a small pistol safe after he passes NICS.
    98%+ chance that any guy who pretends to be seeking your advice at a gun counter doesn't want actual advice, he wants affirmation and confirmation of whatever dumb ass gun he's already picked out for himself.
    Ensure folks are safe and lawful, and otherwise just happily provide the service of selling them whatever derpy gun they want. If they ask what you're carrying or what you prefer, be honest but do not debate what's better. They'll drag you down to their level of derp and beat you with experience. So skip the debates and the BS as much as possible.
    Instead, focus on being a model example of safe handling and courteous, prompt, and straightforward customer service.

There will be times to guide more sensible firearm selection, particularly with new gun owners and females and such. Absolutely bend over backwards to help and assist and accommodate. Think of those times as being an ambassador of sorts - you're representing every gun owner and every guy that works in a gun store to those customers. Take all the time you can in those cases. Recommend classes. Insist on good holsters and safe storage strategies. Some of them will get the jitters about buying their first gun. Again, be 100% accommodating and patient and understanding. Just give them your card and offer a simple intro class so they can at least learn more about safe gun handling and shooting before buying.

Others still will be gruff old SOB's with spare tire guts and loud, intolerably overconfident BS and swagger and bullshit stories. Two words there -verbal judo. Engage them in conversation about buying something but avoid debates or swapping stories about whatever. Guide the conversation back to the business 'Man, that sounds like a wild time - But is there anything in the case I can show you?' With a 'No' answer that offers easy disengagement to go help other customers, instead of listening to the same dude rambling on with dubious claims and even more dubious war stories or whatever.

If you do take this job, please be sure to share the soul-crushing and eye-rolling moments with us here
    Last edited by JRB; 02-26-2022 at 01:26 AM.

Site Supporter

Cool

@JRB is right on! Be prepared to just sign your paycheck back over to the store
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    @JRB is right on! Be prepared to just sign your paycheck back over to the store
    Lol I already did. Store credit is basically the same as a paycheck 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Others still will be gruff old SOB's with spare tire guts and loud, intolerably overconfident BS and swagger and bullshit stories. Two words there -verbal judo. Engage them in conversation about buying something but avoid debates or swapping stories about whatever. Guide the conversation back to the business 'Man, that sounds like a wild time - But is there anything in the case I can show you?' With a 'No' answer that offers easy disengagement to go help other customers, instead of listening to the same dude rambling on with dubious claims and even more dubious war stories or whatever.

If you do take this job, please be sure to share the soul-crushing and eye-rolling moments with us here
    Thanks for your reply. I get that part all the time at my primary job. People will talk my ear off when I’m in the middle
    Of a lesson. I’ll just say “Best place to start is with a swing evaluation. Want me to take a look at the schedule so we can get you booked?” 95% say no, they’ll think about it. Saves me 10 minutes of mindless rambling.

Site Supporter
    I worked part time at gun shops over the years. You will enjoy this if you get along with the person in charge. This guy should demonstrate integrity. If not, he will expect you to misrepresent in order to increase sales and profits. A downside might be burn out from hearing bullshit over and over. You will see girlfriends buying guns for those who can't legally buy firearms. You will see individuals who have no business with a weapon buying one. I refer to the disturbed, the senile, the obviously unstable, and the stupid. I sold a pistol grip Mossberg to a college kid who blew his brains out 30 minutes after the sale. I sold a Glock 19 to a woman whose 7 year old child killed his 4 year old sibling with it. Why am I reporting this sad commentary? So you can encourage customers to enroll in classes. So you can advise them to store guns properly. So you can redirect grandma from buying a Glock to choosing another handgun that might be a better match. Enjoy!

Whats the typical pay?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Whats the typical pay?
    Locally, 14.00/hour. I was offered a full time slot earlier this year but had a part time gig that offered at 28/h which worked out better so I declined.

I was on the work for toys plan at one of the largest local stores back in the 90s. I worked one weeknight and one weekend day every week. It was interesting, but I don’t think I’d do it again - too many morons.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List