Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best 7.62x39 for Home Defense to limit Over-Penetration?

Regarding the 8M3 "Effect" JHP

Many, many, many moons ago I did a photographic comparison of the the various 8M3 bullets on the market on Arfcom, another fella did the same on M4C. I used bullets from the "Sapsan" birdy box, the original blue and white Ulyanovsk box, the first batch of Wolf Military Classic (lacquer case), and the newer Wolf offerings with the poly case coating. I cant find the pics anymore because of Arfcom's crash a few years ago, but I remember that the Sapsan, blue and white box, and original WMC had 4 Vs cut on the inside of the jacket. These were the only Russian JHPs with the cuts.

Of note, there is question as to if the 124gr JHPs coming in as Wolf Military Classic and Tulammo are 8M3.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Regarding the 8M3 "Effect" JHP

Many, many, many moons ago I did a photographic comparison of the the various 8M3 bullets on the market on Arfcom, another fella did the same on M4C. I used bullets from the "Sapsan" birdy box, the original blue and white Ulyanovsk box, the first batch of Wolf Military Classic (lacquer case), and the newer Wolf offerings with the poly case coating. I cant find the pics anymore because of Arfcom's crash a few years ago, but I remember that the Sapsan, blue and white box, and original WMC had 4 Vs cut on the inside of the jacket. These were the only Russian JHPs with the cuts.

Of note, there is question as to if the 124gr JHPs coming in as Wolf Military Classic and Tulammo are 8M3.
    Wolf is just a reseller. It's a trademark of Sports Supplies International out of California. They just repackage someone else's ammo. Most of the time Wolf was just Tula but a while ago they had some legal issues so current Wolf is ????

Wolf Gold was PPU except for M193, which is Taiwan. Wolf 22lr is out of Germany

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Wolf is just a reseller. It's a trademark of Sports Supplies International out of California. They just repackage someone else's ammo. Most of the time Wolf was just Tula but a while ago they had some legal issues so current Wolf is ????

Wolf Gold was PPU except for M193, which is Taiwan. Wolf 22lr is out of Germany

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    In the past ~15 years of regularly buying misc cases of Tula, Wolf, and Wolf Military Classic as range blasting ammo, it seemed that TCW was only selling it as Tula, and Wolf was usually Ulyanovsk or Vympel made stuff. I can't recall seeing any flavor of Wolf 7.62x39 that was made by TCW any time in the past 6-8 years at least.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    In the past ~15 years of regularly buying misc cases of Tula, Wolf, and Wolf Military Classic as range blasting ammo, it seemed that TCW was only selling it as Tula, and Wolf was usually Ulyanovsk or Vympel made stuff. I can't recall seeing any flavor of Wolf 7.62x39 that was made by TCW any time in the past 6-8 years at least.
    Last two cases of Wolf I have purchased seem to be Tula based on their circular headstamp markings. It’s the 122gr stuff.

I recently purchased 1000 rounds (2 cases) of the “good stuff” - Barnaul.

I’m going to miss that stuff.

I too am interested in hearing the definitive answer to the OPs question.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Last two cases of Wolf I have purchased seem to be Tula based on their circular headstamp markings. It’s the 122gr stuff.

I recently purchased 1000 rounds (2 cases) of the “good stuff” - Barnaul.

I’m going to miss that stuff.

I too am interested in hearing the definitive answer to the OPs question.
    Looking at my pile, it seems the last Wolf x39 I bought was in 2019 so my anecdotal experience isn't current.

I'd be interested to know if your TCW made Wolf has noticeably more muzzle flash, like the other Tulammo branded stuff I bought so much of in years past.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Looking at my pile, it seems the last Wolf x39 I bought was in 2019 so my anecdotal experience isn't current.

I'd be interested to know if your TCW made Wolf has noticeably more muzzle flash, like the other Tulammo branded stuff I bought so much of in years past.
    It’s pretty flashy but I don’t have the frame of reference you do. Seems quite a bit more flashy than the Brown Bear/Barnaul I had prior. Back when I got my first case of the stuff, I recall there being a few different Wolf options. By the time I ordered the second 1000 rounds I was happy to be able to buy it.

Anyhow - this is what 2020 vintage looks like just to be sure it’s Tula.

Name:  6E65B5CF-6275-4A5A-9ED2-8CCB5EDD63B8.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  37.7 KB

I have. Sold a bunch on Gunbroker in the past year and had to picture the case head as people were raging that they "bought Wolf but got Tula". EDIT TO ADD: This was 8M3 with Tulammo headstamps in Wolf packaging.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    "Virtually any of the 122-125gr imported steel case ammo with a soft point or hollow point will serve fine in this role. They will expand violently and the jacket usually separates from the core in multiple fragments. Penetration will be substantially less overall than SS109 5.56x45 or virtually all military 5.56 loads for that matter."

This has not been our experience.
    I've seen in your previous testing that the old 8m3 seems to be the only steel case import ammo that has any kind of reliably desirable performance. Given the situation described in the OP, what would you recommend, Doctor? Thank you for all that you do.

Also, sorry all for a late reply. Real life got insanely busy.

Really curious as to @DocGKR 's input on ammo selection in a situation where a 7.62x39 firearm is the only option for home defense. I understand the easy answer is probably to get an expanding-load 5.56, but just assume that's not an option right now.

Well the Hornady 123 gr SST, Winchester 123 gr JSP, and Federal 123 gr Fusion all work well.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List