Thread: WV passes Keep, Bear and Drive With Arms Act

WV passes Keep, Bear and Drive With Arms Act

For many many years WV game laws (Chapter 20) have precluded carrying an uncased long gun after dark or any loaded long gun in a vehicle. Apparently the state House and Senate have overwhelmingly passed the “Keep, Bear and Drive with Arms Act” and the governor will probably sign it into law.

I must admit I’m somewhat amused.

"Bear"?

What am I missing?

Intentionaling reinforcing stereotypes?

Cheap Shot:

Several eastern states had similar laws that were supposedly designed to prevent nighttime poaching of game. For years in Pennsylvania, if I remember correctly, if you "spotlighted" deer, it was illegal to have a firearm in your vehicle. A work around was enacted for those possessing a concealed carry license. A similar version of that type of law was (and may still be in effect) in Virginia. The late Pat Rogers was based in Virginia and told me he could not carry a loaded rifle in his vehicle because of the state game laws, even with a concealed weapons permit or retired law enforcement credentials. Hence Pat's solution was a BCM AR style "pistol". Hopefully that clarifies things a bit.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

I’ve found all of these anti-poaching laws to be ridiculous BS designed to harass and intimidate gun owners. Why not make poaching itself illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I’ve found all of these anti-poaching laws to be ridiculous BS designed to harass and intimidate gun owners. Why not make poaching itself illegal?
    Poaching is illegal. But unless someone is caught in the act, poaching is kinda tough to prove. Easier to charge someone with riding around with a loaded long gun in the vehicle. Same “logic” applies to a lot of gun laws - including permitless carry. Currently, Sheriffs in Alabama are railing against proposed legislation allowing permitless carry in vehicles under the theory that permitless carry will somehow make traffic stops more dangerous for LE. This, as if someone who is willing to murder an officer would give a shit/somehow be deterred from possessing a firearm so they can avoid committing the misdemeanor violation of carrying a pistol without a permit.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Cheap Shot:

Several eastern states had similar laws that were supposedly designed to prevent nighttime poaching of game. For years in Pennsylvania, if I remember correctly, if you "spotlighted" deer, it was illegal to have a firearm in your vehicle. A work around was enacted for those possessing a concealed carry license. A similar version of that type of law was (and may still be in effect) in Virginia. The late Pat Rogers was based in Virginia and told me he could not carry a loaded rifle in his vehicle because of the state game laws, even with a concealed weapons permit or retired law enforcement credentials. Hence Pat's solution was a BCM AR style "pistol". Hopefully that clarifies things a bit.

Bruce
    From what I understand, the inclusion of suppressors into the NFA was mainly because the Conservation officer groups wanted to limit their use for poaching. At one time the various states game wardens were a fairly powerful group politically. FWIW here in WV the DNR police are the second largest agency in the state.

I’m curious about the reason this law was pushed thru. I’m sure it’s somewhere between an “eF you!” to potential political protests (which we didn’t have much of) and a relief for farmers/ranchers plagued with coyotes (which we do have).

I’m thinking it might be a good time to start a business selling LE style gun locks to the unwashed masses. Also, amusingly it recently became legal to operate side x side UTVs on our state roadways. I await seeing one with a beltfed pseudo machinegun on a pintle mount.

User Tag List