Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Venom problems!!!

Vortex Venom problems!!!

I’ve always had good luck with Vortex product, so I purchased a VENOM to mount on my shotgun. When I went to zero it with slugs at 25 yards, the POI elevation knob was maxed out in the UP position but it still hit 4-5 inches low.

I then put the VENOM on my Ruger 22/45 and got it zero’d but again, the POI elevation knob was maxed out in the UP position. The gun is zero’d but the fact that it’s maxed out is bothering me. Did I get a faulty unit? What’s Vortex’s warranty policy/customer service like?

I had the same problem. I called customer service. They offered to send a shim to fit under the mount or to send it in. I asked to send it in and I got another unit. Guess what? I have the same problem. My guess is the shim solution came about because they get a lot of returns for this problem.

Just contacted them and they gave me the same response. The shim is made by UM Tactical. The fact that a separate company makes this product specifically designed for this optic tells me something… do that many people have this problem???

I’m curious though, why doesn’t Vortex offer this shim for free to fix THEIR problem? I ordered one for about $14.00

I gave up on Vortex mini red dots some time ago when I was on the third replacement for that and similar issues. I have a replacement one sitting around here somewhere that I never even took out of the box.

I originally got it to mount on my Beretta 1301. Once that didn’t work out, I figure I’d try it on my 22/45 since that already had a FastFire 3 on a dedicated mount and they shared the same footprint. The optic is nice… big window, nice controls, bright dot… but the fact that a $200+ optic needs a shim is bothersome.

After checking out and ordering the shim on UM Tactical sight, I read the multiple customer reviews of the product. I guess it’s made for optics that share the FastFire footprint. The funny thing is that all the reviews were customers using it for the use with the Vortex Venom and Viper

I wanted a cheap red dot for a rimfire. Thats the only reason I bought this one. A friend had several and he had no problems.

Just an update… received and installed the shim and it fixed the problem! I actually order on off of Amazon from a company called ADE. Once the shim was installed, I was able to backed off the Maxed out dial almost 2 full rotations to get it back to zero on my 22/45. 2 rotations=50 clicks=50 MOA!

I just bought a 6 moa Venom to put on a Nelson rimfire conversion. It did not need a shim to sight in. I put a 3 moa model on a Smith and Wesson 41 and that one needed a shim. Anyway both are zeroed with some adjustment still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    I’ve always had good luck with Vortex product, so I purchased a VENOM to mount on my shotgun. When I went to zero it with slugs at 25 yards, the POI elevation knob was maxed out in the UP position but it still hit 4-5 inches low.

I then put the VENOM on my Ruger 22/45 and got it zero’d but again, the POI elevation knob was maxed out in the UP position. The gun is zero’d but the fact that it’s maxed out is bothering me. Did I get a faulty unit? What’s Vortex’s warranty policy/customer service like?
    Excellent customer service, but the unit itself is junk. I encountered units that weren't functional right out of the box, a unit that went completely dead after six live (9mm) rounds through a P10F & in general they're sub par in every way. I went through several in 2019 before throwing my hands up to the sky and ordering several Holosun units for my training/class guns.

User Tag List