Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Securing a stolen vehicle

In WA if the car is located, localish to the RO, and is "legally parked" the police will call the RO and ask if they want the vehicle impounded or left in place. Our Dispatchers would then remove the vehicle from the hot sheets. I have had cars removed and added to the hot sheets two or three times in a short period of time because the car thieves got to the car before the RO.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Great points--especially about getting pulled over. Seems like at least notify LE that you have secured the vehicle, and give them your description?

And here in Portland, LE is not coming to recover it.
    If it was reported stolen to the police and entered into the system (in Oregeon it's the LEDS/NCIC), it has to be removed from the system somehow. I don't care what state you are in, that requires the registered owner/reporting party's signature (NCIC rules).

Here is Portland's policy:
    https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/735543

If you find the car, call the police and chill with the car until they get there and it's removed (after you provide a description of yourself and that you're the owner). If the police are too much of a hot mess to come get it, call a tow company and have it towed to their yard (and call you insurance). Let them deal with the fiasco.

Don't go drive around a car that is reported stolen until the police remove it from the system.

Side note: Most dirtbags that steal cars don't want to keep them and don't want to fight you for them. They steal them, do some crimes, and then dump them and go steal another car. Any cop that goes and takes a stolen vehicle report that's worth his salt knows to check around the immediate area after he takes the report because he'll find a dumped stolen nearby. So the risk to the owner of the thief coming back is generally super low.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    In WA if the car is located, localish to the RO, and is "legally parked" the police will call the RO and ask if they want the vehicle impounded or left in place. Our Dispatchers would then remove the vehicle from the hot sheets. I have had cars removed and added to the hot sheets two or three times in a short period of time because the car thieves got to the car before the RO.
    That is literally one of the dumbest things I've heard in the past few days.

Whoever the moron admin person is that thought that would be a good idea needs a good smack on the back of his/her head.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    That is literally one of the dumbest things I've heard in the past few days.

Whoever the moron admin person is that thought that would be a good idea needs a good smack on the back of his/her head.
    I agree.

When we recovered a stolen vehicle dispatch would confirm it with the records of the ORI who would remove it from NCIC/ACIC as a stolen. We would try to call the owner to have it picked up. If they had a reasonable response time we’d wait with the car. If they were far away, couldn’t respond, or no answer we had it towed. Frankly having it towed was the easiest because it was a 10-20 minute wait for the tow truck. We did not leave it in place.

After I was told the car was removed from the system I liked to run it again to confirm it before releasing it. It’s infrequent but doing a high risk stop on a recovered cat that wasn’t taken out of the system is embarrassing.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    When we recovered a stolen vehicle dispatch would confirm it with the records of the ORI who would remove it from NCIC/ACIC as a stolen. We would try to call the owner to have it picked up. If they had a reasonable response time we’d wait with the car. If they were far away, couldn’t respond, or no answer we had it towed. Frankly having it towed was the easiest because it was a 10-20 minute wait for the tow truck. We did not leave it in place.

After I was told the car was removed from the system I liked to run it again to confirm it before releasing it. It’s infrequent but doing a high risk stop on a recovered cat that wasn’t taken out of the system is embarrassing.
    Same.

@Clusterfrack

So sorry that you and your friends have to go through this.

It sounds like a horror show.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Flamingo, good point. In both cases, the vehicles were located fairly quickly and were not contaminated.
    I’d guess that they could start shedding lice and whatever other bugs they were infested with as soon as they entered the vehicle. An inexpensive Tyvek coverall would be prudent. I’d avoid skin contact with any surface that has not been thoroughly disinfected. I’m by no means a germ freak but I’ve seen more than a few of these people up close and they can be nasty.

You’d need to handle any confrontation with the thieves carefully. Anyone you encounter is likely to be armed and unstable. There are firearms in the crime camp close to my home and I’d be surprised if anyone in that demographic wasn’t armed with at least some sort of improvised weapon. Add in some chemical courage and things could go sideways in a hurry. Limited use of force in defense of property is legal in this jurisdiction, but any escalation would need to be managed in such a way as to maintain your innocence at all times. At a minimum I’d have competent armed backup as well someone to document the recovery with video. Careful observation of the scene before approaching would be prudent.

I had loaned a car to a "family member". Hind sight is a wonderful thing. The car became misplaced with just a few clues as to where it was. I got a tip and found the car with 4 flat tires. I was confronted when I found the car and I just drove off and went to the Sheriff's Office. I had the car towed while a deputy stood by. I stayed away. The insurance company took care of repairs. I wouldn't go anywhere near the car. Besides the tires, it had minor crash damage from 4-wheeling and the battery was gone. I think it had been traded for drugs. Let the insurance company deal with it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    I’d guess that they could start shedding lice and whatever other bugs they were infested with as soon as they entered the vehicle. An inexpensive Tyvek coverall would be prudent. I’d avoid skin contact with any surface that has not been thoroughly disinfected. I’m by no means a germ freak but I’ve seen more than a few of these people up close and they can be nasty.
    Scabies is a very real, and contagious, possibility now that you mention it.

User Tag List