Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Securing a stolen vehicle

Securing a stolen vehicle

This scenario has played out twice with friends here in the Portland area, so I assume it's a fairly common occurrence these days.

Vehicle was stolen, and later located by LE, who called the owner with the location of the vehicle. In each case they were told that there would not be any officers present at the vehicle, and to be careful not to confront the car thieves. In one case, the mom of the the owner had a screaming face-off with a car thief. In the other case (last night), the owner arrived well-armed, and did not encounter any resistance (however, he was concerned because his unarmed wife drove him to the location).

Here is my question: how would you approach this problem?

My current plan is to retrieve the stolen vehicle with at least one well-armed friend, wearing my plate carrier, armed with a PDW. If there appear to be multiple perpetrators present at the location, drive on and notify LE.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

To be honest, it would depend on how long it was stolen. The cars that I have recovered that have been stolen for more than a few days I wouldn't want back. They were filled with dirty needles, dirty clothes and almost always other stolen property. I don't want to have to deal with a literal HAZMAT clean up. I have replacement coverage on my vehicles just for that reason.

@Flamingo, good point. In both cases, the vehicles were located fairly quickly and were not contaminated.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This scenario has played out twice with friends here in the Portland area, so I assume it's a fairly common occurrence these days.

Vehicle was stolen, and later located by LE, who called the owner with the location of the vehicle. In each case they were told that there would not be any officers present at the vehicle, and to be careful not to confront the car thieves. In one case, the mom of the the owner had a screaming face-off with a car thief. In the other case (last night), the owner arrived well-armed, and did not encounter any resistance (however, he was concerned because his unarmed wife drove him to the location).

My current plan is to retrieve the stolen vehicle with at least one well-armed friend, wearing my plate carrier, armed with a PDW. If there appear to be multiple perpetrators present at the location, drive on and notify LE.
    I would go prepared as you described assuming your plate carrier is low vis.

You are assuming the stolen vehicle is drivable ? If stripped of wheels etc or ignition damaged you may be waiting around for a flatbed tow truck. I’d rather pay a couple hundred for a row then attempt repairs on scene. Gloves, and some garbage bags would be a good addition for the reasons Flamingo mentioned.

I would consider asking your insurance agent what their procedure is. It would be presumed that you notified your insurance company immediately upon discovering it was stolen, after notifying police. Perhaps it may be better to let the insurance company handle the recovery.

I would just be cautious rolling anywhere rocking a visible PC. Maybe toss a big sweatshirt over it.

I think arriving 2+ deep is definitely a good idea. One thing to keep in mind is that vehicle theft, at least in our general AO, is no longer a serious crime and that if you get into an altercation it will be looked at through that optic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I would consider asking your insurance agent what their procedure is. It would be presumed that you notified your insurance company immediately upon discovering it was stolen, after notifying police. Perhaps it may be better to let the insurance company handle the recovery.
    That's prudent advice, and now that you mentioned it, I'll suggest it as well.

But, I'm heading out immediately and securing my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Leave it.

Wait for the cops to get there to "recover it" and remove is from SVS (stolen vehicle system). You want to go stand/park next to it (if it is a public place) that's fine so long as you let the dispatcher know and provide a clear description of yourself.

It's property. You get into an armed confrontation over it and have a liberal DA YOU will be the one getting prosecuted.

In California (and most places in the country I think) you get stopped in a vehicle entered as stolen a high-risk car stop will be initiated and you will get yanked out at gunpoint. If you have guns and are wearing a plate carrier it's going to be perceived as much more "high-risk" by the amped-up cops conducting the stop. That is a good way to get yourself shot.

Let insurance deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Leave it.

Wait for the cops to get there to "recover it" and remove is from SVS (stolen vehicle system). You want to go stand/park next to it (if it is a public place) that's fine so long as you let the dispatcher know and provide a clear description of yourself.

It's property. You get into an armed confrontation over it and have a liberal DA YOU will be the one getting prosecuted.

In California (and most places in the country I think) you get stopped in a vehicle entered as stolen a high-risk car stop will be initiated and you will get yanked out at gunpoint. If you have guns and are wearing a plate carrier it's going to be perceived as much more "high-risk" by the amped-up cops conducting the stop.
    Great points--especially about getting pulled over. Seems like at least notify LE that you have secured the vehicle, and give them your description?

And here in Portland, LE is not coming to recover it.

...also, I'm not sure from your post if the cops located the car, removed it from SVS, and left it parked there or not.

If they did that, they should not have. In most jurisdictions, including mine, you can't just leave a car you remove from SVS. Either the owner picks it up or it gets towed.

If for some reason that disaster that is the Portland Police Bureau is leaving stolen cars in place that they removed from SVS that is a recipe for a mess.

I would ask the cops to tow the car and let insurance deal with any tow/storage fees after I pick it up.

User Tag List