Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Latest cases of Norma 124 9mm are insanely clean

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    At the time they used stepped brass, and produced some inconsistent loads.

Not my pic, but this was the issue.

Attachment 87706
    I was worried about the stepped cases, but haven't found any noticeable difference loading Titegroup and 125 Bluebullets to 133pf. Longer 147s are a no-go, at the OAL I need to use. As well the stepped cases defeat my RCBS powder check die. I don't like them, but do not sort them out.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Vending Machine Operator
    I was pretty happy with the Norma Safeguard standard pressure .38 I got for my 1960s Model 36 (extremely clean powder and very shiny clean brass though I’m doubtful the hollow point would function well, looks very old school) so I ordered 500 rounds of the .45 Auto 230-grain Range and Training for my incoming Smith & Wesson E-Series. I’ll report back how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have been coming across some Norma cases loading 9mm and they look like they are new cases.
    Though one of the reasons I have scrutinized them is they have a small flash hole, too small for common pins to sneak through. I subsequently have seen reference to de-capping pins that are specifically sized to fith Norma flash holes.
    I wish I had come across this thread earlier. I was recently given some used brass by a friend, and found a bunch of these in it. Fortunately, I noticed the smallest flash pole and weeded them out. I did pick a few just to try, and they did go through my press OK. I’m still weeding them out though.

As for stepped brass, I used to load them on my 650 OK, but they are a no go on the 1050.

I just picked up a couple thousand more of the Norma 124, loose, in plastic ammo cans, for a delivered price just under 0.30.

The ammo was advertised as GECO, but is headstamped Norma, and is indistinguishable in all ways from the cardboard-boxed Norma Range + Training 124, the price of which jumped in April to over 0.35/round after the purchase of the RUAG company (Norma, RWS, Rottweil and Geco) by Beretta in mid-March, after being around 0.28-0.30 delivered, over most of the previous few months.

Even at .035, it’s pretty good ammo.

I’m not too concerned about the flash hole, as I only reload .45 ACP.

I shot about 1200 rounds of the 124 grain at a class last week. It functioned perfectly. We also used empty cases to set up malfunctions and, having forgotten about this thread, I was surprised to see how clean the cases were. It was also surprisingly accurate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I shot about 1200 rounds of the 124 grain at a class last week. It functioned perfectly. We also used empty cases to set up malfunctions and, having forgotten about this thread, I was surprised to see how clean the cases were. It was also surprisingly accurate.
    I've gone through a couple of case's, been really pleased...
    and ordered another case Tuesday, while its available.

It is still good ammo, but the price jump from ~13 to ~19 a box since their acquisition by Beretta means there are other competitively priced choices compared to earlier in the year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    It is still good ammo, but the price jump from ~13 to ~19 a box since their acquisition by Beretta means there are other competitively priced choices compared to earlier in the year.
    I noticed the other day that prices had increased. I didnt know about the acquisition. That would explain it. I appreciate their fast shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I noticed the other day that prices had increased. I didnt know about the acquisition. That would explain it. I appreciate their fast shipping.
    Obviously that’s not the only explanation- however, it was a significant increase. Blazer brass can be had at under .30/round delivered right now, and while not as clean, it also always goes bang in my experience. Works fine for training or matches.

The best thing about the clean lots of Norma (not all are as clean as some) is being able to run a 6-stage USPSA match without once having to clean off one’s SRO window…

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post

Obviously that’s not the only explanation- however, it was a significant increase. Blazer brass can be had at under .30/round delivered right now, and while not as clean, it also always goes bang in my experience. Works fine for training or matches.
    Not to mention Blazer Brass is a decent case for reloading.

User Tag List