Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest cases of Norma 124 9mm are insanely clean

Site Supporter
    I fished a handful of brass out of the snow yesterday,
    as mentioned above quite clean, as was the gun.

Thank you for the reminder. I ordered some from them at the end of the year. I swore I was going to just keep ordering on a regular schedule so that once prices fluctuated I would be good. I just went and they are out of stock but Im sure Ill get an email soon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I have shot about 10K rounds of Norma “range and training” 124 9mm ball in the past 10 months- it is generally very good, reasonably priced, and reasonably clean with an average amount of carbon in the cases and in the pistol after an average USPSA or SCSA match.

However, I’ve never seen anything quite like this- the last two cases of Norma 124 “Range and Training” I’ve shot have been producing practically zero residue in my pistols, and the cases literally look like they came out of a tumbler. 2” groups off the bench at 25 yards, no change to zero from previous lots, and practically no flash. Just super-clean.

I would love to know what powder is doing this, or what they changed- I’ve never found any other ammo with this characteristic.

The powder would be a batch or lot that Norma bought in a large quantity--maybe a ton. After purchase they ran pressure tests to determine a charge giving desired velocity. When this lot has been used, the cycle starts over. The next batch may require a different charge weight to deliver specified velocity. This batch might be a different brand with a burning rate faster or slower than the first lot.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The powder would be a batch or lot that Norma bought in a large quantity--maybe a ton. After purchase they ran pressure tests to determine a charge giving desired velocity. When this lot has been used, the cycle starts over. The next batch may require a different charge weight to deliver specified velocity. This batch might be a different brand with a burning rate faster or slower than the first lot.
    Ammo manufacturers buy powder by the railcar load, not the ton.

Those of you shooting this Norma, does it say on the box or case where the ammo came from? RUAG sources from all over Europe and brands it whatever they see fit. I have a suspicion where it came from, which could also be verified by a magnet sticking to the bullet.

The bullets in all the Norma ammunition I have shot in the past two years has been totally nonmagnetic. Approaching 12k rounds, mostly in matches and classes.

Super clean and consistent. Hope it stays that way, after the purchase of the company by Beretta last month.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    Norma, does it say on the box or case where the ammo came from?
    last batch 124gr 9mm = Hungary, non magnetic

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    last batch 124gr 9mm = Hungary, non magnetic
    Thanks fatdog…….that isn’t the answer I expected. I thought it would be from Thun, Switzerland as it is the crown jewel in the RUAG empire. These Norma rounds used to be branded Geco. The 115’s were all from Hungary, as well as some of the 124’s, with the remaining 124’s from Switzerland. True Norma production is from Sweden, of course, and the German stuff is RWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Super clean and consistent. Hope it stays that way, after the purchase of the company by Beretta last month.
    I am sure Beretta will make some changes as they always like to make the top brand in a company aspirational. Sako for example, is just about unaffordable. But on the flipside, Tikka is affordable and much more available after the Beretta purchase. I can’t really complain about the purchase of Steiner and Burris Optics. Although there is a certain irony that Burris, a formerly American company, makes their stuff in Philippines, and German Steiner makes their stuff in USA.

Where we getting this and what are we paying for it? I'm about to need some more 9mm.

User Tag List