Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest cases of Norma 124 9mm are insanely clean

Latest cases of Norma 124 9mm are insanely clean

I have shot about 10K rounds of Norma “range and training” 124 9mm ball in the past 10 months- it is generally very good, reasonably priced, and reasonably clean with an average amount of carbon in the cases and in the pistol after an average USPSA or SCSA match.

However, I’ve never seen anything quite like this- the last two cases of Norma 124 “Range and Training” I’ve shot have been producing practically zero residue in my pistols, and the cases literally look like they came out of a tumbler. 2” groups off the bench at 25 yards, no change to zero from previous lots, and practically no flash. Just super-clean.

I would love to know what powder is doing this, or what they changed- I’ve never found any other ammo with this characteristic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Faster burning powder or unleaded primer would leave cleaner cases.

For all the Internet Wisdom on Secret Sauce Factory Load Powder, one thing seldom mentioned is that powder choice changes depending on what is available or what is bid cheaper.

I might do something weird like pull a bullet and replace the powder with something on hand. Then use their powder with a primer on hand.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I've been really impressed with this ammo as well. I hadn't paid close attention to the clean burning part but it's tight shooting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I broke into a case a couple of weeks ago,
    it seems to be a little softer shooting than
    the S&B I'd finished up but that could just
    be my perception.
    As mentioned above, I found it to be very
    clean, accurate and consistent as well.

I bought 500 rounds of .38 special Norma, and it was mostly clean. The first couple of boxes weren’t, but the rest has been. I have another 500 rounds on the way. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Faster burning powder or unleaded primer would leave cleaner cases.

For all the Internet Wisdom on Secret Sauce Factory Load Powder, one thing seldom mentioned is that powder choice changes depending on what is available or what is bid cheaper.

I might do something weird like pull a bullet and replace the powder with something on hand. Then use their powder with a primer on hand.
    I agree that the primer is part of the resulting cleanliness. Your test is exactly what I would do… if I had small pistol primers.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I bought 500 rounds of .38 special Norma, and it was mostly clean. The first couple of boxes weren’t, but the rest has been. I have another 500 rounds on the way. 👍
    I have been coming across some Norma cases loading 9mm and they look like they are new cases.
    Though one of the reasons I have scrutinized them is they have a small flash hole, too small for common pins to sneak through. I subsequently have seen reference to de-capping pins that are specifically sized to fith Norma flash holes.

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    I broke into a case a couple of weeks ago,
    it seems to be a little softer shooting than
    the S&B I'd finished up but that could just
    be my perception.
    As mentioned above, I found it to be very
    clean, accurate and consistent as well.
    The Norma stuff (9mm 124-grain FMJs) does have noticeably lower recoil than what I'd expect of European manufacture ammo loaded to CIP specs.

Just the same, it is extremely consistent practice ammo and the spent cases are unbelievably clean.

For the small amount that I tested, muzzle velocity from a stock Glock 17 barrel (4.49'') averaged 1,095 fps.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Norma shooting.com

On 2/25 I ordered some 7mm Rem Mag ammo. Today 02/26 I received a UPS tracking number. First time I’ve ordered from them. I’m liking how quickly things are going!

I don't shoot anything in 9 any more other than Norma.

Cheapest stuff on the net, clean and accurate.

User Tag List