Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OWB “Duty/retention” Holster for p365XL w Romeo Zero

OWB “Duty/retention” Holster for p365XL w Romeo Zero

As the thread title says… My agency is now appoving the 365x and XL with Romeo Zero RDS. There are tons of IWB holsters on the market. But we have some agents who want to carry the 365 wRDS as their only duty gun, so they would need an exposed OWB holster with some form of retention. Desatis makes a leather thumb break, and Galco makes the FLETCH holster. But I was wondering is anyone makes a SLS/ALS type of holster for 365 with RDS?

Could not find anything from G Code, Bianchi, Safarilant, Blackhawk, CompTac…

Any suggestions?
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

https://blackhawk.com/t-series-l2c/

This is the only one I’m aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    https://blackhawk.com/t-series-l2c/

This is the only one I’m aware of.
    While I am not a Blackhawk fan, this beats the hell out of a SERPA. And since we don’t allow trigger finger holster retention, it meets our needs. It also helps that it is low priced, as most cops are cheap SOBs.

Thanks!

Any other options are still appreciated.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    While I am not a Blackhawk fan, this beats the hell out of a SERPA. And since we don’t allow trigger finger holster retention, it meets our needs. It also helps that it is low priced, as most cops are cheap SOBs.

Thanks!

I didn’t have extensive use of mine - it was mostly for hiking - but I found mine to be well made and fairly intuitive. My only hesitation about the retention system is that I’m already used to ALS, and it’s just different enough to matter.

Site Supporter

Thanks!

Uhh when did we stop allowing trigger finger holster retention?

I’m a SERPA hater so I’m not complaining- PM me if it’s in writing …

As the thread title says… My agency is now appoving the 365x and XL with Romeo Zero RDS. There are tons of IWB holsters on the market. But we have some agents who want to carry the 365 wRDS as their only duty gun, so they would need an exposed OWB holster with some form of retention. Desatis makes a leather thumb break, and Galco makes the FLETCH holster. But I was wondering is anyone makes a SLS/ALS type of holster for 365 with RDS?

Could not find anything from G Code, Bianchi, Safarilant, Blackhawk, CompTac…

Any suggestions?
    The popularity of the SIG P320 and P365 series of pistols is currently very high as evidenced by a cursory check of sales/availability along with the passionate P-F responses to any criticisms of said platforms.

Weapon popularity usually brings with it many indicators of support equipment suitability. The free market, I believe, provides mostly accurate assessments of equipment performance which subsequently informs purchasing decisions. I find this especially true when the topic shifts from the trivial to the consequential.

For the P365 series of pistols, the free market shows us there are almost no options for reliable retention holsters for the mission profile of an overt armed professional. This lack of free market support highlights the obvious: the carry method is not appropriate for the P365 series of pistols regardless of how much technology is on it or how large a magazine is stuffed into it.

IMHO, the mindset which accepts any micro pistol (or variant) as appropriate for overt armed professional use is irresponsible and indicates the level of ignorance/arrogance concerning the realities of armed combat. As with many armed professional organizations, I expect there are those who demonstrate a willful indifference to reality for the sake of personal comfort (aka laziness).

In my experience, the ignorant, arrogant, and/or lazy are those least-likely to re-enter the kill zone. Hard. Pass.

Recommendations:
    1) Attempt to professionally educate those who may believe the P365/XL are appropriate for an overt armed professional mission; these people may simply not know any better and just need an experienced voice of reason.

2) Avoid those in your organization whose ignorance, arrogance, and/or laziness allow them to ignore the realities of their chosen profession.

3) Encourage your agency to provide officers a robust and suitable weapon platform, associated equipment, and training commensurate to their duties and responsibilities.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Site Supporter
    https://www.daraholsters.com/Level-II/

I've used two of these over the course of about a year...currently carrying a PDP on duty in one. Shows fitment for 365XL, and they're optic cut.

No issues...good stuff.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    IMHO, the mindset which accepts any micro pistol (or variant) as appropriate for overt armed professional use is irresponsible and indicates the level of ignorance/arrogance concerning the realities of armed combat. As with many armed professional organizations, I expect there are those who demonstrate a willful indifference to reality for the sake of personal comfort (aka laziness).

In my experience, the ignorant, arrogant, and/or lazy are those least-likely to re-enter the kill zone. Hard. Pass.

Recommendations:
    1) Attempt to professionally educate those who may believe the P365/XL are appropriate for an overt armed professional mission; these people may simply not know any better and just need an experienced voice of reason.

2) Avoid those in your organization whose ignorance, arrogance, and/or laziness allow them to ignore the realities of their chosen profession.

3) Encourage your agency to provide officers a robust and suitable weapon platform, associated equipment, and training commensurate to their duties and responsibilities.
    For people who spend the vast majority of their work time carrying concealed in plainclothes, I think there is an argument for dedicating completely to one compact pistol, and using it even when carrying overtly. I've used small Glocks for this, especially since they can be fed by larger capacity magazines. Many people have noticed that their performance with a G26 is on par with larger models, for example. Consider also that Gadfly's agency provides long guns, which are often carried as primary weapons when wearing guns and armor overtly.

What I really don't get, and what you may be referencing, is carrying a tiny gun like a G43 or J-frame as a duty gun.
    Last edited by Le Français; 02-25-2022 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Uhh when did we stop allowing trigger finger holster retention?

I’m a SERPA hater so I’m not complaining- PM me if it’s in writing …
    It’s just our local AOR. Not nationwide.

Our SAC let the FIs put the squash on trigger finger holsters in our AOR. We convinced him via the FLETC study, and the timing of issuing new guns, which would require most folks to purchase new holsters anyway. There was a little resistance, but not much. A couple ASACs being the biggest whiners. It falls under the catch all “unsafe activities at the range”, which is a policy, even if there is no specific serpa prohibition in policy.

Our current holster issue that just came up is folks stuffing their 365s into full size holster during qual. As in not wanting to swap holsters from qualing with full size glocks or p320s. We have been pushing this for a while, and finally have management support to say if you don’t wear a holster specifically made for the gun, you can’t qual with that gun.

With the upcoming swap to RDS guns, lots of folks about to have to buy new holsters yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post

Recommendations:

You humble opinion is just that. And is not taking into account my female co workers who are 5’2” and have small hands. I have a few who want to just run the 365xl as a primary. And by policy they can. My goal is to find them something with retention that they can safely use.

And your assertion that the 365 series is somehow lacking? We have hundreds is not thousands in use in our agency. They run. You can ring IDPA size steel at 100yrds all day long with one. I can say I have seen only one crap out on us. Is it small? Yes. Can I run a larger gun a little better? Yes. But I am 5’10. I will be running a Glock or 320 in the duty rig… and grab a rifle. For the smaller statures agents, if they can run a smaller gun more comfortably, then let them. 12+1 is not a huge load out, but it is still respectable.

Not everyone in the agency is a door kicker.

User Tag List