Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OWB “Duty/retention” Holster for p365XL w Romeo Zero

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Clark Jackson

So you want me to believe that you have an informed opinion because “trust me I have an informed opinion?”

I’ll probably listen to the agency armorers instead.

I’ve found your opinions on shooting skills and drills questionable and incompletely vetted so without any context I’m going to lump your equipment opinions into a similar boat.

Regarding “lazy” P365XL shooters, it wouldn’t be difficult for a competent shooter to make Turbo pin runs with one.

So what does that say if you can’t hit those performance benchmarks despite 100k rounds and taking GW class three times with a superior Glock?
    Listen to whomever you choose, that's the beauty of the forum. It's not about making you do anything. I'm just providing information. I did not call P365XL shooters lazy; stop dog whistling to the SIG owners/shooters. I may have missed it, but I do not remember how being an armorer tied into the discussion here. Turbo Pins are irrelevant to the discussion as are the merits of SIG vs Glock. Straw men.

You have misread, misunderstood, or otherwise bastardized my entire discussion here.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 02-26-2022 at 04:09 PM.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    Listen to whomever you choose, that's the beauty of the forum. It's not about making you do anything. I'm just providing information. I did not call P365XL shooters lazy; stop dog whistling to the SIG owners/shooters. You have misread, misunderstood, or otherwise bastardized my entire discussion here.
    You didn’t provide information though.

You provided an opinion.

I wanted to give your opinion weight.

But without context your opinion isn’t necessarily educated.

I haven’t found your opinions on firearms training to be educated nor informational.

I have threads upon threads talking about how I do not shoot a P365 the best. There’s probably a 15% performance reduction of that gun compared to some of my others.

But the flip side is that a Glock 19 is also 15% worse performance wise than an Edc X9…

So why don’t you sell your car and buy something better performing than a stock Glock?

If people are lazy in their training, what does that say about someone who can’t pass Turbo standards despite multiple attempts and 10s of thousands of rounds of training?

Maybe you should sell a kidney and buy an Alien so you can be even better prepared!

Basically everything you’re accusing others of doing (protecting their ego to justify their own choices) is what you’re doing.

1. Someone asked a question about holsters IN THE HOLSTER SUBFORUM.
    2. P365XL are approved at multiple large agencies.
    3. Everyone agrees that they shoot worse than the best handguns out there.
    4. Nobody thinks a Glock is the best handgun out there.
    5. Clark comes in tilting at windmills.
    6. Clark wants to be taken seriously but can’t give any reason why he should be taken seriously.
    Last edited by JCN; 02-26-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Clark,

I appreciate the thoughtful and considered reply.

I would offer in the background that historically being a vocal critic of Sig's past conduct in Gov solicitations and small parts support to existing contracts, I would not generally be considered biased in Sig's favor. Having participated in an agency-level recall of Sig service weapons, it's a lot of fun and lost time.

In further background, there are many agencies wherein whom might be classified overt or uniformed situationally, but not always and perhaps not even generally. One might wake-up, knock out some casework in plainclothes and wearing OWB gear, adjust their profile for an interview by going IWB, and then drive out into the afternoon for a pre-planned or more spontaneous enforcement action wherein they wear explicitly marked overt equipment over their plainclothes attire. A minority of those may even change into a specified uniform and matching overt equipment for specialty roles in the enforcement action; or may be running an overt-equivalent ensemble carried concealed for a low-vis mission set. Afterwards, most everyone doffs their overt equipment, dons OWB or IWB concealment gear, and heads on to the next task or home. If one's government provided vehicle has locking storage, then one could use the overt pistol for overt things and leave the discrete pistol locked up; but there's justifications, expenses, and logistics involved with such a setup. Especially with older vehicles at the end of their effective lifespans, many may find themselves cable locking a bagged rifle to an installed shackle point, vice any enclosing storage; that mostly precludes extra pistols being stowed there. There are policy and liability concerns at hand. Thus, whatever pistol such a person walks out the door with, is the pistol that they are most likely to use in any of the described rolls, to include the overt ones. It is for this such pattern of life that I asked after your specific definition, since until your introduction of it into the conversation, I did not see it represented here.

Ref: TLR-7 remarks, which mirror the underlying logic that I'm presenting: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1326036

(As far as the subject of admin arrests, I suppose we'll have to leave that one tongue-in-cheek. It's a sore subject this last 13 months...)

As far as the hand-wave remark, at a previous workplace I spent several years optimizing firearms training for those at the radical ends of physical demographics; this was very often an uphill experience against the well-intentioned but staid opinions of some of my peers. Our authorized weapons list at the time was not ideal, and very few were truly served better by our smaller offering, though it was an easy if unsupported attempt at a solution for other instructors to issue them out rather than work with a shooter. (Hilariously, my own experience wearing a size 4 USGI Nomex flyer's glove and size 2 of other USGI gloves was that I was capable of greater precision and shorter splits with the single-stack, but that I was capable of faster and more consistently successful manipulations (to include reloads) with the double-stack; and with the double-stack I remained.) I thus imagine that there's a lot uncovered past the point of "good enough" or "acceptable," and it is not so easily simplified to either conclusion upon any significant scrutiny.

FWIW, I've mulled over the exact same RFI as Gadfly has, and to no particular satisfaction. The optics aren't mandatory, but they are coming; there's certainly plenty of them floating about in the field already and for some time. For many, it's a potential lifeline to make it to mandatory retirement without the additional stress from qualifications with diminishing eyesight and without accruing potential liability on the march to 57 (or 60, for those chosen few...). I think it's a question that quite a many have been asking themselves, in isolation.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

You didn’t provide information though.

You provided an opinion.

I wanted to give your opinion weight.

But without context your opinion isn’t necessarily educated.

I haven’t found your opinions on firearms training to be educated nor informational.
    I disagree. I provided information and thoroughly explained that information. Opinions are information. You may not find value in the provided information (or opinions or however you choose to label it). And that is okay. I provided so much information another user felt compelled to post a pithy ad hominem attack where I was accused of writing a novel.

If the resume is what is holding you back from seeing the value of what I have shared there is not much more to say. You have made it clear I have nothing to offer you and I am more than satisfied with that outcome. Your continued push to place yourself above me (and others) based on my training journal, your accomplishments as a competitive shooter, or your ability to purchase and carry whatever firearms you choose provide me with valuable insights.

I have threads upon threads talking about how I do not shoot a P365 the best. There’s probably a 15% performance reduction of that gun compared to some of my others.

But the flip side is that a Glock 19 is also 15% worse performance wise than an Edc X9…
    Thank you for your contributions to a body of empirical data concerning your measurable performance across these three platforms.

So why don’t you sell your car and buy something better performing than a stock Glock?
    My gear selection is limited based on personal and professional responsibilities. Your assumptions of my economic status reveal a bias which distorts your perception of others and most assuredly influences how you read and interpret their posts.

If people are lazy in their training, what does that say about someone who can’t pass Turbo standards despite multiple attempts and 10s of thousands of rounds of training?

Maybe you should sell a kidney and buy an Alien so you can be even better prepared!
    Another bastardization of the discussion in this thread topped with ad hominem attacks about my proficiency with firearms and economic status (again, twice in one post) in what I can only assess as an attempt to cow me into deferring to you on any topic on which we disagree. Another example of why it is so difficult to enjoy P-F today.

I never accused anyone of being lazy in training. I did use the ubiquitous "people" to identify the very real presence of lazy equipment decisions made by those within the armed professions.

And what does it say about someone who cannot pass (is it a pass/fail thing?) Turbo standards despite multiple attempts (did I attempt to earn a Turbo pin multiple times?) and 10s of thousands of rounds of training (some journeys are longer than others)? This is another example of why it is difficult to write insightful, honest training posts on P-F.

My training journals and discussion about Gabe's courses should have made it clear the attainment of a turbo pin was never the end-state, but that is an nuanced discussion. Based on both the tone and content of your posts, it is abundantly clear you are no interested in participating in that type of a discussion with me and I could not be more relieved.

When we attempt to understand why anyone does something solely through siloed experience and/or personal bias we condemn ourselves to reach false conclusions.

Basically everything you’re accusing others of doing (protecting their ego to justify their own choices) is what you’re doing.

1. Someone asked a question about holsters IN THE HOLSTER SUBFORUM.
    2. P365XL are approved at multiple large agencies.
    3. Everyone agrees that they shoot worse than the best handguns out there.
    4. Nobody thinks a Glock is the best handgun out there.
    5. Clark comes in tilting at windmills.
    6. Clark wants to be taken seriously but can’t give any reason why he should be taken seriously.
    I'm sorry you feel this way, but you are incorrect.

I never accused anyone of anything. In this thread I specifically addressed carrying a larger SIG over a smaller SIG. The Glock argument is beyond irrelevant here. The bastardization of what I have written continues.

I think Don Quixote is fantastic.

I could care less if you take me seriously, truly.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Clark,

I appreciate the thoughtful and considered reply.

I would offer in the background that historically being a vocal critic of Sig's past conduct in Gov solicitations and small parts support to existing contracts, I would not generally be considered biased in Sig's favor. Having participated in an agency-level recall of Sig service weapons, it's a lot of fun and lost time.

In further background, there are many agencies wherein whom might be classified overt or uniformed situationally, but not always and perhaps not even generally. One might wake-up, knock out some casework in plainclothes and wearing OWB gear, adjust their profile for an interview by going IWB, and then drive out into the afternoon for a pre-planned or more spontaneous enforcement action wherein they wear explicitly marked overt equipment over their plainclothes attire. A minority of those may even change into a specified uniform and matching overt equipment for specialty roles in the enforcement action; or may be running an overt-equivalent ensemble carried concealed for a low-vis mission set. Afterwards, most everyone doffs their overt equipment, dons OWB or IWB concealment gear, and heads on to the next task or home. If one's government provided vehicle has locking storage, then one could use the overt pistol for overt things and leave the discrete pistol locked up; but there's justifications, expenses, and logistics involved with such a setup. Especially with older vehicles at the end of their effective lifespans, many may find themselves cable locking a bagged rifle to an installed shackle point, vice any enclosing storage; that mostly precludes extra pistols being stowed there. There are policy and liability concerns at hand. Thus, whatever pistol such a person walks out the door with, is the pistol that they are most likely to use in any of the described rolls, to include the overt ones. It is for this such pattern of life that I asked after your specific definition, since until your introduction of it into the conversation, I did not see it represented here.

Ref: TLR-7 remarks, which mirror the underlying logic that I'm presenting: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1326036

(As far as the subject of admin arrests, I suppose we'll have to leave that one tongue-in-cheek. It's a sore subject this last 13 months...)

As far as the hand-wave remark, at a previous workplace I spent several years optimizing firearms training for those at the radical ends of physical demographics; this was very often an uphill experience against the well-intentioned but staid opinions of some of my peers. Our authorized weapons list at the time was not ideal, and very few were truly served better by our smaller offering, though it was an easy if unsupported attempt at a solution for other instructors to issue them out rather than work with a shooter. (Hilariously, my own experience wearing a size 4 USGI Nomex flyer's glove and size 2 of other USGI gloves was that I was capable of greater precision and shorter splits with the single-stack, but that I was capable of faster and more consistently successful manipulations (to include reloads) with the double-stack; and with the double-stack I remained.) I thus imagine that there's a lot uncovered past the point of "good enough" or "acceptable," and it is not so easily simplified to either conclusion upon any significant scrutiny.

FWIW, I've mulled over the exact same RFI as Gadfly has, and to no particular satisfaction. The optics aren't mandatory, but they are coming; there's certainly plenty of them floating about in the field already and for some time. For many, it's a potential lifeline to make it to mandatory retirement without the additional stress from qualifications with diminishing eyesight and without accruing potential liability on the march to 57 (or 60, for those chosen few...). I think it's a question that quite a many have been asking themselves, in isolation.
    Jules, thank you. This post was an absolute pleasure to read and a breath of fresh air. I wish all of P-F could emulate this type of post.

Seriously, thank you for taking the time to write and post it. Most informative and enjoyable.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything from the thread. I would be more than happy to do so.

I’m very thankful to the actual experts here (@runcible, @Gadfly @Le Français et al) who have the patience of saints. That’s not my forte. Sorry for diluting the thread.
    Last edited by JCN; 02-26-2022 at 07:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    @Clark Jackson, @JCN

This is going to be blunt, though it’s not meant to be brutal: I don’t think either of you has the social skills to make your conversation in this thread anything but an unproductive mess.

ETA: Let me add that for what it’s worth (not much), I think you have both brought up some good points, and probably are closer to agreeing than what threatens to become a nasty forum argument would suggest.
    Last edited by Le Français; 02-26-2022 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    @Clark Jackson, @JCN

This is going to be blunt, though it’s not meant to be brutal: I don’t think either of you has the social skills to make your conversation in this thread anything but an unproductive mess.
    Agreed. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    https://www.daraholsters.com/Level-II/

I've used two of these over the course of about a year...currently carrying a PDP on duty in one. Shows fitment for 365XL, and they're optic cut.

No issues...good stuff.
    I couldn’t find a key for the asterisk that is in the P365XL listing - does anyone else see it?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I couldn’t find a key for the asterisk that is in the P365XL listing - does anyone else see it?
    Nothing I can see?

The asterisk is on everything in the list below; not sure what's common there:

Glock 40 MOS, HK USP 9/40 full size, Sig 229 Legion E2, Sig P365XL, Walther PPS M2 and PPS M2 RMSc.

User Tag List