Thread: First Spear "Walt" Chest Holster

First Spear "Walt" Chest Holster

I've been a big fan of "Tanker" holsters for a long time now, and have several leather versions made by El Paso Saddlery for my various revolvers. When I saw that First Spear makes a version called the "Walt" chest holster, I had to check it out. Bottom line: if you need a chest holster for a large semi-auto pistol, this will do the job. It even works with my H&K USP Expert and Elite 45's despite their deep trigger guards. I tried the holster with a 5" 1911 (my wife's Kimber Eclipse that I had engraved for our engagement); a Beretta 92X-D; a CZ-75, and H&K USP 45's in Expert and Elite barrel lengths. They all fit just fine with the muzzle of the Elite 45 protruding just a hair, but the front sight remained covered so there is no risk of hooking it during the draw stroke. I would expect most long-slide autos or those fitted with compensators should fit in this holster.

All in all, a pretty good option for a field holster if you're looking to pack a large auto. Only thing I would change is to remove the logo; unfortunately First Spear doesn't offer a version without it.

Muzzle of the H&K USP Elite just barely protrudes:

Beretta 92X fits nice and deep:

H&K USP's deeper trigger guard causes the gun to ride higher in the holster, exposing the rear sight. So far this has not been an issue.

Site Supporter
    I looked at those a while ago. The logo turned me off too. I went with this instead:

https://csmgear.com/throw-over-holster/

The mag pouch can also be used for a second light. My holster is usually used as a throw on for the midnight head call when getting out of the tent.

I think the Walt is more of a universal fit. The CSM is pretty specific. I have carried a 17/19/26 successfully in the Glock version. I don’t think other brands of a similar size would work.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I've been a big fan of "Tanker" holsters for a long time now, and have several leather versions made by El Paso Saddlery for my various revolvers. When I saw that First Spear makes a version called the "Walt" chest holster, I had to check it out. Bottom line: if you need a chest holster for a large semi-auto pistol, this will do the job. It even works with my H&K USP Expert and Elite 45's despite their deep trigger guards. I tried the holster with a 5" 1911 (my wife's Kimber Eclipse that I had engraved for our engagement); a Beretta 92X-D; a CZ-75, and H&K USP 45's in Expert and Elite barrel lengths. They all fit just fine with the muzzle of the Elite 45 protruding just a hair, but the front sight remained covered so there is no risk of hooking it during the draw stroke. I would expect most long-slide autos or those fitted with compensators should fit in this holster.

All in all, a pretty good option for a field holster if you're looking to pack a large auto. Only thing I would change is to remove the logo; unfortunately First Spear doesn't offer a version without it.
    Thanks for sharing the info/pics. Also eyed these and turned off by the logo. Never pulled the trigger but my thought was to cover it up with adhesive backed loop Velcro, and maybe to look for a small Velcro backed loop organizer that would take a mag and/or flashlight.

I use a VTAC https://www.vikingtactics.com/produc...igrig-auto.htm for a USP on snowmachine or canoe, large enough to fit over a parka or PFD.

I've had the VTAC holster and it works well, but I prefer the "Tanker" style of holster because it can be concealed more easily under a vest or jacket.

In the OP, I am glad not see a Glock, because I don’t believe this style of holster provides enough trigger guard protection and pistol retention to feel comfortable using it with a short trigger striker.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In the OP, I am glad not see a Glock, because I don’t believe this style of holster provides enough trigger guard protection and pistol retention to feel comfortable using it with a short trigger striker.
    I agree; the holster material is stiff, but nowhere near as rigid as Kydex or other polymers. Also, given where the muzzle is pointed when wearing the holster, I wouldn't use this holster with any striker fired gun, unless there is one out there that has a manual safety that locks the striker.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I have one for use while riding my TW200. I use it with my Glock 17, many miles with no problems.

Name:  IMG-7083.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  40.9 KB

User Tag List