Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterville, NC

Winterville, NC

It turns out that I'll be heading to ECU sometime in the next few months for at least two years. This is pretty recent so we just started researching but my wife is already liking Winterville for the immediate-ish area. Anyone familiar and have recommendations? We'll probably stick to a suburb, that way my wife and toddler can have more interaction. Gun stuff is appreciated of course, I know that TRC is about two hours away and am looking forward to that.

No one is familiar with the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did my residency at Pitt (now vident or whatever) and worked for ECU for 10 years +, but I moved away 12 years ago.

During my time there, Winterville was the place for med students as well as residents/fellows (post graduate medical training). Housing was cheap enough that students and first year residents could afford to purchase, and that's saying something. They also tended to do well with selling once they graduated.

Many developments though were simple corn fields which were built on. No trees, no shade, high heat. So it pays to look around unless that's what you like.

Not much in the way of firearms stores when I was there. Typically would go to Raleigh, Fayetteville, or Jamestown. There was a nice gun club between Greenville and Farmville.

Wish I could say more but it's been a while and I'm sure it's grown.

Site Supporter
    Im about two hours south, in Wilmington. Hit me up if you ever get down there. I spend a lot of time in Raleigh as well, so I’ll definitely echo the recommendation for spending time there. Makes for great weekend trips. No intel on Winterville.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Im about two hours south, in Wilmington. Hit me up if you ever get down there. I spend a lot of time in Raleigh as well, so I’ll definitely echo the recommendation for spending time there. Makes for great weekend trips. No intel on Winterville.
    Do you do anything on the water? My extended family has always had boats and/or jet skis up in Maryland so aside from the given shooting stuff, that’s something I’m wondering about.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    No one is familiar with the area?

Have you visited there yet?

My hands on with the ECU area is very dated.... I lived in Raleigh area and dated a girl that was attending ECU, but this way way back in the late 80's. Was a basic small college town back then. Usual college stuff to do. Not really helpful to today's decision making.

Wife and daughter visited about 6 years ago while college hunting. Came away with a hard "No" due to safety concerns about crime on campus LINK. I don't think those stats carry over to non-university off campus areas, however. Daughter wound up in Wilmington and loved it there.

Wish I could offer something more insightful. Good luck with this...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I don’t think there is really a whole lot of anything in that part of NC, BUT you are not far from the Nuese and Pamlico rivers and some very good fishing, trout flounder and my favorite, Big Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Wife and daughter visited about 6 years ago while college hunting. Came away with a hard "No" due to safety concerns about crime on campus LINK. I don't think those stats carry over to non-university off campus areas, however. Daughter wound up in Wilmington and loved it there.

Not surprising, the main campus and dorms are right next to the Hood. Plus it's known as a drinking/party college.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Have you visited there yet?

My hands on with the ECU area is very dated.... I lived in Raleigh area and dated a girl that was attending ECU, but this way way back in the late 80's. Was a basic small college town back then. Usual college stuff to do. Not really helpful to today's decision making.

I actually just got back yesterday. Only spent the weekend there and it was all house hunting. I had mixed feelings about the area but it reminded me of where I went to school with some really nice areas in walking distance of some not nice areas. Ultimately we bumped up our house budget significantly because of that and are now under contract so we're locked in there, but it was the best area reasonably close from all of the driving I did.

I'm in the Jacksonville NC area north of Wilmington on the coast. Once you get all settled If you want shoot me a message and we can go shoot stuff..
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

User Tag List