Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching Kids

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If you can get them to a range for a pure fun trip, that may change their impression. Bring .22 rifles and pistols, keep the shooting simple, and make it primarily about being safe and having fun. Once they experience the fun, then incorporate some skill development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steel or other reactive targets such as clays are a plus. More fun than punching paper.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Steel or other reactive targets such as clays are a plus. More fun than punching paper.
    I've noticed that kids want to run downrange and see the holes in the paper target.

Site Supporter
    I introduced my 7 and 9 year old children to shooting, and they both continue to enjoy it, much to the dismay of my stockpile of .22LR. Based on my experiences, I would recommend the following:

- Start with a red dot optic instead of irons. I know this may go against some “this is the way I learned it” old school training dogmas, but red dots just make it easier to learn sooner how to shoot. And easier and sooner are the key to fun. And fun is the key to a kid wanting to do more of it. Once the kid enjoys shooting enough to want a bit more of a challenge, or want to shoot a cool “antique” weapon like a revolver, then it’s easier to get them trained on irons, because they have already developed a basic sense of how to line up the weapon with the target so that finding the sights requires only slight adjustments.

- If you can swing it, get a silencer. Most little kids don’t like loud and blasty (at least at first). Conversely, there are few things more pleasant than shooting suppressed .22LR.

- If possible, shoot outdoors. So much more pleasant, especially if there might be other shooters around with loud and blasty guns.

- Start by shooting at reactive targets, like a plate rack. So much more fun than paper. Eventually, if the kid shows continued interest, you can introduce them to the concept of grouping and what not, but again, in the beginning, you want quick and easy fun.

- Make sure the weapon can fit the kid, within reason. That is one of the reasons I started my kids on the M&P 15-22. There just wasn’t anything else out there that fit a small child as easily as that, which would then also be able to grow with them - it’s relatively inexpensive, super light weight, is easy to mount optics and suppressor, and has easy to reach controls. Plus some day, transitioning to a grown up AR will be a snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    My Dad got me hooked real young, not just by letting me burn up .22 by the brick, but by making that time more special and fun for me with other liberties.

Dad would let me get a soda of my choice on our way out to the range, even though my Mom didn't want us kids drinking soda. After I demonstrated flawless safety and decent skill with a 1911 of his, he permitted me to say certain non-f-bomb words on those range trips so long as it was done appropriately and in context, and my Mom nor my Teachers ever heard me saying them. It felt really nice to be able to talk with my Dad about some kid being an asshole to me in class.
    "Everyone should know how to swear well, but they shouldn't swear often" or something to that effect - that was easier to live up to before I joined the Army, but I digress.

I also made it my personal mission to burn up an entire 550round brick of .22LR every trip. That old 10/22 has a ridiculous round count I can't even begin to guess at. Despite my Dad's legendary frugality, he didn't seem to mind spending the $8-10 a brick to make that happen. I appreciate that a lot more now than I did at the time.

Spinning steel targets, old toys, and old nerf balls in particular were great plinking targets. Empty cans were also a favorite, especially once I learned how to shoot just under the can and send it spinning into the air.
    Safety first, then fun reactive targets, then skillset.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I introduced my 7 and 9 year old children to shooting, and they both continue to enjoy it, much to the dismay of my stockpile of .22LR. Based on my experiences, I would recommend the following:

- Start with a red dot optic instead of irons. I know this may go against some “this is the way I learned it” old school training dogmas, but red dots just make it easier to learn sooner how to shoot. And easier and sooner are the key to fun. And fun is the key to a kid wanting to do more of it. Once the kid enjoys shooting enough to want a bit more of a challenge, or want to shoot a cool “antique” weapon like a revolver, then it’s easier to get them trained on irons, because they have already developed a basic sense of how to line up the weapon with the target so that finding the sights requires only slight adjustments.

- If you can swing it, get a silencer. Most little kids don’t like loud and blasty (at least at first). Conversely, there are few things more pleasant than shooting suppressed .22LR.

- If possible, shoot outdoors. So much more pleasant, especially if there might be other shooters around with loud and blasty guns.

- Start by shooting at reactive targets, like a plate rack. So much more fun than paper. Eventually, if the kid shows continued interest, you can introduce them to the concept of grouping and what not, but again, in the beginning, you want quick and easy fun.

- Make sure the weapon can fit the kid, within reason. That is one of the reasons I started my kids on the M&P 15-22. There just wasn’t anything else out there that fit a small child as easily as that, which would then also be able to grow with them - it’s relatively inexpensive, super light weight, is easy to mount optics and suppressor, and has easy to reach controls. Plus some day, transitioning to a grown up AR will be a snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Re: red dot vs irons

I second the suggestion to start with a red dot and teach irons later.

It’s worth noting that LE agencies and the US Army, have found that when teaching adults who’ve never sit before,
    Starting with the red dot and then teaching irons as a follow on skill set results in shooters who are more competent with both siding systems and gain that competency faster.

If you think about it when learning your fundamentals/shot process the red dot essentially illuminates sight picture/sight alignment, Allowing the shooter to focus on other basics such as grip/position trigger management breathing etc.
    Once they have those basics down they they have more mental “bandwidth” available to grasp sight picture and sight alignment

Site Supporter
    Many good suggestions above.

Regarding sound suppressors, my noise-sensitive daughter has not found a .22 to be objectionable when shooting outdoors with ear protection. Her big issue is other shooters, and we have no control over what they shoot. She uses electronic earmuffs with disposable foam plugs underneath, so her ear protection is as good as it gets.

Site Supporter
    My (now retired) best friend is a graduate of a very pistol centric FLETC training program/job. He started his boy out with the 4 rules using a toy gun. This went on to red guns at an early age. The boy earned the privilege of applying what he learned to a live gun in the presence of dad. The gun(s) were always secured but the curiosity factor that can lead to trouble was reduced by making the gun available anytime for examination. The rule was he had to ask dad get the gun and be supervised by dad. They did the Eddie Eagle program too. When the boy expressed an interest in shooting it began with airsoft, progressed to BB guns, and now includes a 10/22. The boy is 9 now and this process began 3-4 years ago.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List