Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Kids

Teaching Kids

I'm wanting to teach my kids (8, 11 and 13) how to handle and shoot firearms.

They're not particularly interested in shooting (I've asked) so I'm not going to force it on them, but I do want them to know how to safely handle firearms and, if they have to, how to shoot one.

Any advice?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Thank you.

Does Eddie Eagle promote firearm ownership or use?

No! The program neither offers nor asks for any value judgment concerning firearms. Like safety lessons about swimming pools, electrical outlets and matchbooks, Eddie Eagle’s sole purpose is to give children crucial information about what to do if they ever come across a gun. With firearms found in about half of all American households, it’s a message that makes sense. Eddie is never pictured holding or even touching a gun.
    I do want my kids knowing how to handle firearms though, not just run away and inform if they see a gun.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    If you can get them to a range for a pure fun trip, that may change their impression. Bring .22 rifles and pistols, keep the shooting simple, and make it primarily about being safe and having fun. Once they experience the fun, then incorporate some skill development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post

They're not particularly interested in shooting (I've asked) so I'm not going to force it on them, but I do want them to know how to safely handle firearms and, if they have to, how to shoot one.

Any advice?
    Project Appleseed: https://appleseedinfo.org/

Took both my daughters. They were 12 and 13, IIRC.

Looks like they are pretty active in Idaho: https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?...ID&state=Idaho
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I’m in a similar situation - we want to expose my partner’s three kids (10, 10 and 6) to guns and shooting fairly soon. Her late husband bought each of them 10/22s that they’ve never even seen since they were too young when he died. I want to do it in a way that inspires them to get interested if they wish, but at least learn basic safety if they aren’t. But, they’re Texas kids - they seem to have it in their DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Project Appleseed: https://appleseedinfo.org/

Took both my daughters. They were 12 and 13, IIRC.

Looks like they are pretty active in Idaho: https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?...ID&state=Idaho
    This is what I was thinking.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My message to my Offspring (and the wife) was, "We have firearms in the house. Other people have firearms in their houses. You have to know how to handle them safely, just like you need to know how to use the stove, kitchen knives, and other useful, but potentially harmful, things around the house."

Turns out one likes shooting, the other not so much, but they both had at least the Four Rules.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Kids like reactive targets. One gun club holds a kids day once a year with several pistol bays set up with different types of reactive targets. Outdated soda or pop depending on where you live. Old plastic toys, toy soldiers, Necco wafers, water filled ballons, and the best is the tannerite hidden in old stuffed toys. They have a table with rests and sandbags at each bay. Safety officers and kids take turns. They have a safety meeting before the kids go to the bays. 22s and air rifles only.

Site Supporter
    I have two girls, now 18 and 13.

Thing 1 was kind of interested in shooting recreationally for a few years. Nothing hardcore, just plinking at the range with my Ruger 22/45. She tried a few others, but only really liked the Ruger. I drilled into her the 4 rules, but it wasn't until we started going to the local indoor range (Elite) that requires new visitors to watch a safety video that it really gelled for her. From then on, she was little Miss Safety. She even chastised me for not putting my gun on safe when I set it down...with the bolt back...and the mag out.

Thing 2 has no interest at all. She understands the 4 rules, but doesn't want to shoot a gun. Once, when at my folks', Thing 1 and I were shooting my S&W K22 with Colibri rounds. Thing 2 decided she wanted to try, so I helped her through a few cylinders. She had fun, but that was enough. No further interest after that.

At this point I'm confident both are safe around firearms and more or less inoculated against doing stupid things with them. If that's as far as it goes, I feel it is good enough.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post

Any advice?
    Depending on the budget, an Airsoft blow back and some balloons / cans can link “arcade” like fun with also gun handling skills (same administrative handling with loading and racking and showing clear).

I did it with my 10 year old nephew and it was a huge success and he took the safety part seriously.

User Tag List