Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Toyota (and likely other brands) is telling dealers to prepare for large amounts of EV trade ins over the next several years based on current trends. In other words take them in with consideration to the upcoming glut (ie. don't pay to much)

Lots of used T3's on lots in my area

Although Teslas still sell well new (status among certain demographic groups?). Not so much other EV's

Honda has been building a large battery producing plant in Fayette Co, OH along I-71 for at least a year now. It was touted as bringing a lot of jobs to this area, but now I'm wondering as the demand seems to be falling.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Honda has been building a large battery producing plant in Fayette Co, OH along I-71 for at least a year now. It was touted as bringing a lot of jobs to this area, but now I'm wondering as the demand seems to be falling.
    Depends on what kind of batteries and how flexible the lines are.... I don't see the demand for battery storage of solar and wind power diminishing in the near future. Quite the opposite. Make power during the day/wind, store in batteries for when the sun isn't shining or the wind isn't blowing.

I also don't see the demand for hybrids falling off any cliffs. So... batteries should be a growth industry, but maybe not the plug-in EV type.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Likely for hybrid

Toyota has hybrid-ed almost entire fleet no doubt Honda will also

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Likely for hybrid

Toyota has hybrid-ed almost entire fleet no doubt Honda will also

Ive been watching this discussion, hybrid seems more practical and efficient overall. Dont most train engines operate basically as hybrids?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive been watching this discussion, hybrid seems more practical and efficient overall. Dont most train engines operate basically as hybrids?
    Most are diesel-electric, meaning the diesel engine drives a generator that powers electric motors for propulsion.

You might be thinking of electro diesel that can run on either electric or diesel, which are fairly limited but exist.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elec...sel_locomotive

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Technically they are electric with diesel generators

In a car the electric motor on a hybrid is a supplement not primary drive

Actually, I understand how they function, just not how the terms of hybrid apply in relation to cars.

Thanks for the clarifying comments.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

In minor clarification, two of the primary sorts of hybrids out there are series and parallel.

Priuses and similar options are parallel hybrids, both HSDs and non-HSDs; wherein both the ICE and the electric motors can drive the vehicle.

Series hybrids, which may include such trains as were previously discussed, as well as pure-electric vehicles with an ICE range extender attached, only drive through the efforts of the electric motors, while charging off of their ICE output.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List