Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Short video on European EV "passports" from MGUY Australia.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CEuikQr_vI&t=3s

Another video discussing properties of an EV ignition
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnKm9-S0_UY

He's not an EV fan but I don't sense a heavy bias. (and his videos are short).

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Short video on European EV "passports" from MGUY Australia.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CEuikQr_vI&t=3s

Another video discussing properties of an EV ignition
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnKm9-S0_UY

He's not an EV fan but I don't sense a heavy bias. (and his videos are short).
    That's spooky stuff.
    I've been considering switching from lead acid to lithium for the batteries in our pop-up camper. The batteries live inside the camper due to space and layout constraints (not great but acceptable risk), and the vehicle sees a lot of rough road exploration time.
    The information on battery characteristics that has been presented in this thread has pretty much convinced me that lithium would be a bad move. There's just too little time between "hey, something's wrong" and catastrophe in such a small space.
    The odds aren't terrible but are sub-optimal. The stakes are what worry me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    That's spooky stuff.
    I've been considering switching from lead acid to lithium for the batteries in our pop-up camper. The batteries live inside the camper due to space and layout constraints (not great but acceptable risk), and the vehicle sees a lot of rough road exploration time.
    The information on battery characteristics that has been presented in this thread has pretty much convinced me that lithium would be a bad move. There's just too little time between "hey, something's wrong" and catastrophe in such a small space.
    The odds aren't terrible but are sub-optimal. The stakes are what worry me.
    LiFePo4 lithium iron phosphate batteries are crazy safe, safer than the lithium ion battery in your phone in your pocket. They've temperature limitations but that is easily addressed.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    LiFePo4 littium iron phosphate batteries are crazy safe, safer than the lithium ion in your phone in your pocket. They've temperature limitations but that is easily addressed.
    Thanks. I'll need to read up on the details.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    EV fleets are not saving anyone money over ICE in smaller vehicles and I doubt semis are going to be the breakthrough.
    It depends on your input costs. If you charge at home (or at your business), a Tesla model 3 costs only slightly more to operate than a Toyota Prius (which is consistently one of the lowest cost of ownership vehicles). If you charge at commercial charging stations, the Model 3 costs considerably more.

Throw in incentives & tax credits and the model 3 may end up costing slightly less.

Looking at the Modesto electric prices for residential EV vs industrial rate, it is clear that Pepsi's Modesto location enjoys incredibly cheap electricity (particularly if charging overnight).

Industrial electric rates:
    Name:  Screenshot_20240202-123145.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  40.1 KB

Residential electric rates for EV owner:
    Name:  Screenshot_20240202-123228.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  35.3 KB

Compare this to the Modesto commercial EV charging stations and you can see why it is so important to charge at home or your business:
    Name:  Screenshot_20240202-125932.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  44.9 KB

I can see how Pepsi is able to claim a fuel cost savings when I compare $0.06/kwh to Modesto diesel prices, which are among the highest in the nation: $4.60 at the pump (which is more likely around $4.00 when using a fleet card to purchase).

The sneaky difference is that California & the feds are pocketing about $1.60/gallon in diesel taxes and various fees - ~$0.70 of which is used to pay for roads. Ultimately EVs should be paying their fair share of road taxes, but they're not. When they inevitably do, they'll probably cost more to operate even for industrial companies in California...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    It depends on your input costs. If you charge at home (or at your business), a Tesla model 3 costs only slightly more to operate than a Toyota Prius (which is consistently one of the lowest cost of ownership vehicles). If you charge at commercial charging stations, the Model 3 costs considerably more.
    I said fleets. I get some individuals may save money on an EV vs an ICE if the stars align. No fleet is. And they've tried. If businesses save any money, it'll be tax credit games and not actually operating costs.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post

I can see how Pepsi is able to claim a fuel cost savings when I compare $0.06/kwh to Modesto diesel prices, which are among the highest in the nation: $4.60 at the pump (which is more likely around $4.00 when using a fleet card to purchase).

That's always the pitch. Then that savings is chewed up and spit out by cost of infrastructure, depreciation, crashes costing more, initial purchase price, increased down time, etc.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 02-02-2024 at 06:00 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    LiFePo4 lithium iron phosphate batteries are crazy safe, safer than the lithium ion battery in your phone in your pocket. They've temperature limitations but that is easily addressed.
    LFP batteries still have the thermal runaway issue, so "crazy safe" is not a term I use with those batteries. LFP cells do not pass UL 9540A fire testing by themselves; they need a good module design to pass the test. The cells that do pass without need for that good module design I would call "crazy safe".

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Toyota Did Not Go Green With Electric Vehicles, Now They Are Going Green in Earnings

Unlike the CEOs of Ford and GM, Toyota Chairman Akio Toyoda may be a visionary. Speaking to employees recently, Toyoda said that he believes that EVs will never make up more than a third of the car market. He also pointed out that around 1 billion people worldwide still live without electricity, making the appeal of EVs limited. Toyoda went on to say that “Customers — not regulations or politics — should make that decision.” What a concept. Toyota seems to have figured out that it literally doesn't pay to play follow the leader.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List