Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is startling is how quickly EV vehicles have gone from the "it child" to dead on arrival. I still love driving an EV, but it is a specific use vehicle as opposed to primary. My friend who is GM of a Fors dealer in Montana says they are still selling Lightnings but the Mustang E's are slow. The GM at a Porsche dealer in the SW says Taycan sales have screeched a halt and there is little interest in the new EV Macan.
    Just like a Stanley.

ETA:
    also, sneetches.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    This just in. I didn't see it anywhere so thought I would share.
    https://www.nada.org/legislative/epa...o-far-too-fast
    So when is the fed going to lighten up on the mandates? I don't they can admit they made a mistake. It's like ethanol.
    https://youtu.be/F-yDKeya4SU
    Just like with the CAFE standards, people thought they could legislate dilithium crystals into existence.

News flash: You cannot change the laws of physics, captain.

Edit to add: the UK has already pushed back their EV mandate timeline, since it became obvious it couldn't happen .
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I use mine as my primary, but I very rarely go more than 200 miles round trip. When I do, I'll take a gas vehicle. I've yet to charge at a public charging station.

My original intent when I made my purchase was to charge at work for free and essentially drive for free. I decided on different opportunities, so that's no longer an option (but I'm driving much less so...)
    The county I worked for bought many EV's. You could probably drive anywhere in the county and back in fewer than 200 miles. The problem was maintenance. The county had a maintenance facility for all of their vehicles (900) except the EV's. Maintenance super said they couldn't work on those. That had to be an added expense.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

First, the Tesla, which has a pretty lame battery (cylindrical has stopped making sense), is adequate to task for most drivers. We don’t really need better batteries except to eliminate corner cases. It will require a midlife battery change, and that’s OK; and it will only last 10 years, and that’s also OK.

Mild hybrids are fine; they do a little and take a little, and that’s nice. They’re a good feature, but not part of the discussion really.

Plug in hybrids are good at neither thing. The advantage of EVs is that they’re very simple machines, but if you lay one on top of a perfectly functional ICV you have two vehicles doing the work of one.

We are discussing this as if we have options. We don’t; the government will eliminate ICEs, well before we have the industry or infrastructure to support it. They will continue to create demand that domestic supply can’t satisfy and ultimately we will be even more beholden to China. It’s really bad; it’s also inevitable, because we keep electing people who have an unsustainable approach to economics. This will cause the collapse of society; that aligns itself perfectly with statist goals — the state of emergency is the atmosphere totalitarianism breathes.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The county I worked for bought many EV's. You could probably drive anywhere in the county and back in fewer than 200 miles. The problem was maintenance. The county had a maintenance facility for all of their vehicles (900) except the EV's. Maintenance super said they couldn't work on those. That had to be an added expense.
    I’ll probably trade mine in after 6 years. I’ll probably take a trade-in hit being an EV, but if savings on oil and gas breaks me even, I’m OK with that. It’s a surprising fun car, and I do like not stopping for gas or scheduling oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Or vice versa, such as the Corvette ERay.
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    That's a very fair point! I'd go so far to say that it's almost that exception that proves the rule, as there are tangible advantages to the extra weight and weight-distro from having a full-length transmission and being primarily RWD, for such a car; but someone in New England doubtlessly intends for it to be their all-seasons daily driver in a big f u to the Subawoo crowd.

The E-Ray's cockpit looks fricking incredible; it's not a thing I generally dwell on, mostly driving utilitarian vehicles. But, what a lovely combination of digital and analog controls....<snip>

I was going to remark that I'd love to see them make a Porsche 911 hybrid as a more accessible successor to the 918 Spyder, so as to nudge the line a little further as far as software control of an electric motor, obviating a mechanical differential, for both maximum traction during a turn and AWD function at-speed... but it turns out that one's on the way for 2025.
    About 48 ERay Corvettes have been made so far, over the last 2.5 weeks, since regular production started. Once they finish QC and get them into the hands of customers (slow ramp up at the beginning), I think even more people will see what a cool car it is. I'm hoping to be a big part of that public education process through my website, and I do intend driving it in the New Hampshire snow... THIS winter!

I loved the interior in my C8 Stingray, and my 2024 ERay will have the same Wall Of Buttons, etc.

There's no mechanical link between the V-8 engine driving the huge rear wheels and the electric motor that turns the front wheels (and regens the quick-discharge/recharge battery). Integration of the two power plants is controlled entirely by software, and it's quite amazing what the engineers have accomplished in that regard. The ERay actually pulls you out of a high-speed turn by adding power to the front wheels, and you get torque vectoring by software control of the carbon ceramic brakes. Apparently, it feels seemless to the driver, but I'll let you know!
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

Quote Originally Posted by uechibear View Post
    About 48 ERay Corvettes have been made so far, over the last 2.5 weeks, since regular production started. Once they finish QC and get them into the hands of customers (slow ramp up at the beginning), I think even more people will see what a cool car it is. I'm hoping to be a big part of that public education process through my website, and I do intend driving it in the New Hampshire snow... THIS winter!

I loved the interior in my C8 Stingray, and my 2024 ERay will have the same Wall Of Buttons, etc.

There's no mechanical link between the V-8 engine driving the huge rear wheels and the electric motor that turns the front wheels (and regens the quick-discharge/recharge battery). Integration of the two power plants is controlled entirely by software, and it's quite amazing what the engineers have accomplished in that regard. The ERay actually pulls you out of a high-speed turn by adding power to the front wheels, and you get torque vectoring by software control of the carbon ceramic brakes. Apparently, it feels seemless to the driver, but I'll let you know!
    Bruv, you've been here *12.5 years*... now is your time!

This was an absolutely kingly response, if rather unexpected. I appreciate the gentle correction on the transmission, as I had not considered nor known that the engine was rear in location, though in retrospect that only makes sense.

Enjoy responsibly!
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Teslas in the dead of the Chicago winter. Or is that Chicago winter in a dead Tesla?
    https://youtube.com/shorts/aEPInmjiB..._cbvPPPN5dxV71
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I believe the E-ray is a hybrid not full electric

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I believe the E-ray is a hybrid not full electric
    Yes, mid engine 6.2L drives rear wheels, electric motor in the front. Battery takes up the space where a transmission would normally sit in a front engine RWD car. (Emphasize “normally”, since C6, C7s have the transmission in the rear.

ETA: Hybrid for the sake of performance, not efficiency.

User Tag List