Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Back in about 2022 a new manufacturer launched a line of EV snowmobiles. I will reiterate that I do not want to be a hater, but that just seemed goofy to me. Maybe using them around resorts or something might be feasible, but snowmobiles are probably the least efficient vehicle possible, and they are only used when it is cold. Maybe boats are possibly less efficient, and this company made PWC also.

But snowmobiles are typically used recreationally, and frequently do lots of miles in a single day. I could see having a car that you just drove around town, but when you go snowmobiling for the weekend there are lots of miles involved. And typically operating from hotels in more remote areas, where chargers would be uncommon.

Anyway, the warm winter didn't help them any.
    I've used a Taiga PWC. It's total garbage and an asinine idea. It blows my mind they got as far as they did.

Take all of the problems of road going EVs and multiply by 100 when you get into a marine environment.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Take all of the problems of road going EVs and multiply by 100 when you get into a marine environment.
    And I think marine is probably more applicable than snow, when batteries struggle with cold.
    Maybe something that goes slow, like a trawler style boat with a big roof with alotta room for solar.

While I am aware that EV vehicles have gone from being thought of as something cool to basically crap over the course of the last year, after sixteen months with an EV car, and ten months with an EV truck, my wife and I have been extremely satisfied with our experience. It probably has something to do with our ability to charge at home and use an ICE powered vehicle for longer trips.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While I am aware that EV vehicles have gone from being thought of as something cool to basically crap over the course of the last year, after sixteen months with an EV car, and ten months with an EV truck, my wife and I have been extremely satisfied with our experience. It probably has something to do with our ability to charge at home and use an ICE powered vehicle for longer trips.
    Just like a F550 or a Miata it is a niche vehicle not a general use or the only one I own rig.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think that's at least partly that they're not the new shiny anymore, and could almost be called mainstream. It was less than 4 years ago when I saw my first Tesla SUV, I didn't even know what it was, just saw it with the gullwing doors open. Driving around C-bus yesterday? I saw 2. It's not that they're bad, it's just that the Venn Diagram of good fit use wise, and good fit logistics wise, doesn't overlap very much. Dedicated, off street parking with home charging seems to make for the best user experience, which eliminates most apartment dwellers. And being an extra vehicle means probably middle class or better.

I think hybrids are probably the sweet spot.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Strongly agree for most people. Even better develop hydrogen powered IC hybrids.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The EPA’s agenda is to eliminate all ICE engines period. They ruined diesels some years ago with exhaust/particulate filters and in a few years the same garbage will be on gas engines. (Think $5-7k increase in price and replacement cost at around 100k mileage)

Hydrogen is a great idea but windmills will win if we keep electing people whom hate America.

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I agree. I just don't get the point of getting rid of ICE engines. They are so dang clean now. I retired 12 yrs ago from 20 years of working as a Lexus dealer tech. AT least 10 years before that we had quit worrying about running cars in the shop w/o the exhaust hoses. Manager kept telling us we had to use them but they even stopped that 1/2 way though the 10 years. I don't know much about the invisible gases diesels emit but getting rid of that black soot crap sure as a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I agree. I just don't get the point of getting rid of ICE engines.
    Control! You get a shiny useless object to look the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Control! You get a shiny useless object to look the other way.
    Ya know, the more time this lib crap goes on the more I see there may be something to some conspiracy theories. If everyone has an EV. We sure can't drive as far and we need to be assured that if we try, we can find a charger. The things are crap in the winter so the northern 1/3 of the country is super limited for 4-5 months every year. They promise chargers everywhere but 2 weeks ago we found out that so far $7B (or near that) has been spent and 50 (or less) chargers have actually been installed. Put all these EVs onto the grid which we can't improve or make larger w/ RELIABLE generation and what happens? The brownouts we hear about in Cali are usually in the summer. The answer they say is charge overnight when Ac is used less. How about overnight in the winter when heat is used more? How about all winter long when we need power the most in storms and the windmills ice up and the solar cells get taken out by hail. Everyone will have a home charger? Great where will the power come from to run them? We got a new Sheets nearby recently. They have 8 Tesla chargers. That's fine when EVs are a small part of the population. What if they become 30%? It takes maybe 1.5 hours to fully charge an EV vs 10 minutes to fill a gas tank. So every 1.5 hrs we can fill up 8 EVs. They have way more than 8 gas pumps but let's just compare if they only had 8 pumps. That is 9 cars each 1.5 hrs per pump times 8 pumps = 72 gas cars filled up every 1.5 hours. Now what happens when, of those gas 72 cars, 24 of them become EVs? Control! I think you are onto something 4RNR.

User Tag List