Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’m seriously revisiting the electric vehicle the last couple days. Need to consider a new daily driver. The thought of not only visiting the gas station, no oil changes, or hoses or belts or radiator fluid, etc. many don’t have transmissions to worry about.

My plan is to hopefully never visit a public charging station. Any trip more that 200 miles round trip would be done by a gas powered car.
    Winner, winner Chicken Dinner.

We'll have an F150 for the foreseeable future, but it's a matter of "when" and not "if" we replace the 2015 Ford Edge Transportation Appliance with either a PHEV or EV, for all the reasons you listed above.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

That’s where I’m at. Probably the best gas powered car for launching / stop lighting right now is a 911 Turbo S. A Tesla plaid will pull it at half the cost. (But twice the ugly )

I had a garage built last year, and it is wired for a charging unit.

As a car guy, I have more than one car, so an EV would make sense, as I’d still have a gas car for any long range trips.

I also hate going to the gas station, just cause it’s usually not good timing when I need to fill up.

So I’m open to givin’ up one of “mah vee eight”, even though it’s kind of cool having a 6.2 trifecta.
    So, I’ve been living with a Tesla Model 3 performance for over a month now…. And I fricking LOVE it. I never thought I’d like it as much as I do. I also managed to justify keeping my previous daily driver, a C6 Corvette, as I am now doing Autocross, and it’s a good car for it.

The Model 3 for me is just easy. Every day I get in and the “tank is full”. The one foot driving feature is cool, and will make the brakes last a super long time. The tech is great, once you get used to it. Adaptive cruise control works great, better than the engine powered cars I ve drove that have that feature.

My number one pet peeve, though, no Apple car play. I mean, seriously? There is a method of doing voice text messaging, so that helps alleviate one issue, and the navigation system is great, and you don’t pay for updates. Also, for $99 a year, you get the premium connectivity, which comes with a music app that I’m liking far more than SiriusXM.

I know I’m still in the honeymoon period, but for someone in the right scenario, ie ability to charge at home / backup ICE car, I highly recommend.

My number one pet peeve, though, no Apple car play. I mean, seriously?
    Wait, whut?

That just seems bizarre.

I installed an aftermarket head unit in our campervan that has wireless CarPlay and I can’t imagine buying a new vehicle without it now.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Wait, whut?

That just seems bizarre.

I installed an aftermarket head unit in our campervan that has wireless CarPlay and I can’t imagine buying a new vehicle without it now.
    Yeah, it’s a not unnoticeable drawback. Even my C6 has Apple car play, albeit an aftermarket unit.

I have heard rumors, although not sure how reliable, that they are considering adding Apple CarPlay. If they do, you would be able to download it and not have to take your car to a service center.

I did see on YouTube there is a workaround for it, but I don’t wanna go there at this time.

2025 Porsche Boxster EV Prototype and Macan EV spied during winter testing

https://apple.news/AwIsHVpbTRmeThR4bBBn9tQ

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/hear-el...muscular-sound
    How dumb is this? Give it up, E cars are silent, that is just the way it is. They may as well make rocket engine sounds because they would have no more correlation w/ an EV than a big V8 does. IMHO the entire E car thing is a bad joke propagated by people who can't see beyond their nose. When the leading state in pushing EVs has to tell people not to charge their EVs because they don't have enough electricity it should be da-n obvious that moving beyond about a 1% of all cars being EVs isn't going to work out real well.

The new Ram that is coming has caught my attention with having a range extender. This will not be a hybrid where the ICE drives the wheels but an on board generator. Im not sure if it will provide direct power to the drive motors or just back to the battery(ies). The range extender addresses the biggest worry and complaint on EVs. There is no real data and limited info on the Ram EV for now.
    Maybe by the time my eco diesel wears out, they will have the bugs worked out of this.

Ram 1500 EV Will Offer a Range Extender Gas Engine, CEO Confirms (caranddriver.com)

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/auto/hear-el...muscular-sound
    How dumb is this? Give it up, E cars are silent, that is just the way it is.
    EV's aren't the only ones guilty of this. There are at least a few manufacturers pumping additional sound through the sound system in their ICE sports cars to make them sound cooler. Keep them natural, and appreciate them for what they are. (Can be applied to things other than car noises as well )

The current Ram has a 5.7 liter range extender.....

User Tag List