Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I wonder if she was unaware of the emergency door release? I know a lot of people aren’t, even owners of the cars.

My wife got stuck in the Vette one day, as I have walked away and struck up a conversation. Since I had the key fob, the electronic door lock wouldn’t work.

wife was in cal (vandenberg AB) for business. co-worker had the option to rent a Polestar 2 for $50/day or a gas-hole for $200/day. Hotel was 60 miles from the base. Let's just say, they both got a demonstration of the reality of range anxiety and electric charging.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I wonder if she was unaware of the emergency door release? I know a lot of people aren’t, even owners of the cars.

My wife got stuck in the Vette one day, as I have walked away and struck up a conversation. Since I had the key fob, the electronic door lock wouldn’t work.
    The WSJ article that is linked in the NY Post article is very good. One of things it states is that it is very difficult (if not impossible) to open a door in a submerged car (probably until the water pressure is equalized in the car, right?).

Many drivers mistakenly think that they should try to open their door if their car becomes immersed in water, said Gordon Giesbrecht, a senior scholar at University of Manitoba who studies vehicle-submersion deaths. Due to the pressure of the water, it would be nearly impossible to open a submerged car door.

https://www.wsj.com/real-estate/ange...d=hp_lead_pos7

I do think that cars should have obvious door releases -- I'm not familiar with Teslas at all, but that should be something that doesn't take a manual to figure out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    The WSJ article that is linked in the NY Post article is very good. One of things it states is that it is very difficult (if not impossible) to open a door in a submerged car (probably until the water pressure is equalized in the car, right?).

Many drivers mistakenly think that they should try to open their door if their car becomes immersed in water, said Gordon Giesbrecht, a senior scholar at University of Manitoba who studies vehicle-submersion deaths. Due to the pressure of the water, it would be nearly impossible to open a submerged car door.

https://www.wsj.com/real-estate/ange...d=hp_lead_pos7

I do think that cars should have obvious door releases -- I'm not familiar with Teslas at all, but that should be something that doesn't take a manual to figure out.
    You are correct in that you are not going to able to open the door. Even with the pressure equalized you still have to push through the mass of the water in front of the door. Water is death when you are in a box. Best bet is to get a window open either through function or force and escape. It really doesn’t matter that it was an EV.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    You are correct in that you are not going to able to open the door. Even with the pressure equalized you still have to push through the mass of the water in front of the door. Water is death when you are in a box. Best bet is to get a window open either through function or force and escape. It really doesn’t matter that it was an EV.
    Something to be said for the old school window cranks. Is there any car that comes with that anymore? Maybe something cheap, or utilitarian like a jeep something or other?

Something to be said for the old school window cranks. Is there any car that comes with that anymore? Maybe something cheap, or utilitarian like a jeep something or other?
    for a while the Ram Tradesman 1500 could be had in total stripper mode, including crank windows and rubber floor in place of carpeting. last of the truly old school bare bones vehicles.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    I think my best bet is avoiding submerging a box. Accidents happen. And to many people depend on the safety features of side curtain air bags to make breaking the window in the seconds that you can hold a breath for your life. To understand open the window even if it’s hand cranked.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I think my best bet is avoiding submerging a box. Accidents happen. And to many people depend on the safety features of side curtain air bags to make breaking the window in the seconds that you can hold a breath for your life. To understand open the window even if it’s hand cranked.
    Would 17 rounds of 9mm create a space large enough to egress through?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Would 17 rounds of 9mm create a space large enough to egress through?
    Pre underwater or post?

User Tag List