Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Also, Norway has abundant hydroelectric power, making them one of the few places to use electrolytic hydrogen instead of steam reforming natural gas for things like ammonia manufacture. Also, production of heavy water is an electrolytic process. Which is why Germany invaded Norway.
    the irony that, at least for the last several decades, they are paying for all of this environmentalism with oil and gas exports is hilarious to me.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

There are some positive aspects to EV’s in certain instances. Remind me again why we want the god Electric companies to replace BiG Evil Oil??

Looks like no 2022 for me. Put my reservation in 7/19 fwiw

Name:  D8E40885-D553-466D-B6B9-94AFA7D9958E.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  43.2 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Ford Lighting development team's motto:

"Yo dawg, I heard you like charging ports, so I put some charging ports inside your charging ports with your charging ports".

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Car & Driver had a long-term Model 3 that just concluded their 40,000mi test. They will not give them loaners so they have to purchase.

We ordered a long-term Tesla Model 3 for one primary reason: to be able to report on using Tesla's Full Self-Driving software over time. Well, the joke's on us, because after we spent $6000 on that option (the price is now double that) in 2019, our car came and went without ever getting it. Paying for an option we didn't receive is definitely a first, one of many when it came to the Model 3. Had we instead invested that money in Tesla stock, we could've cashed out with as much as $150,000.

In spring 2021, I bought a used 2018 Nissan leaf with 11,000 miles on it. Since then, I've put about 5,000 miles on it and am very happy with it as a city commuter car. Our other car is a BMW X1 that drinks premium fuel, and the leaf is literally 10x cheaper to operate even before looking at maintenance (the leaf is about $0.03/mile vs $0.18/mile for the BMW). The lack of a gas tank in the leaf also gives it quite a bit more rear cargo room which makes getting strollers and kid stuff in and out of it much easier. It has a smaller battery pack so max range is only 150 miles, but considering my daily commute is about 10 miles round trip, it fits my needs perfectly. It surprised me on the first test drive with its low speed acceleration as well; having full torque at 0rpm is super sweet. It handles freeway driving decently, and my model is equipped with the radar cruise and lane following which work well.

I have a coworker who purchased a Tesla model Y and likes it, but did have initial quality control problems with it (paint defect and interior paneling rattling) that took a bit to get corrected. I interned for a company that supplied stamped and welded parts for the model X, S, and 3 lines, and after working with engineers at Tesla and visiting, I would not purchase a vehicle from them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Car & Driver had a long-term Model 3 that just concluded their 40,000mi test. They will not give them loaners so they have to purchase.

We ordered a long-term Tesla Model 3 for one primary reason: to be able to report on using Tesla's Full Self-Driving software over time. Well, the joke's on us, because after we spent $6000 on that option (the price is now double that) in 2019, our car came and went without ever getting it. Paying for an option we didn't receive is definitely a first, one of many when it came to the Model 3. Had we instead invested that money in Tesla stock, we could've cashed out with as much as $150,000.
    I read this and chuckled:
    On one bitterly cold night when the mercury dipped down to 5 below zero, the Model 3 consumed 5 percent of its battery capacity just sitting overnight trying not to freeze.
    The poor car was shivering.

Chris

I’m seriously revisiting the electric vehicle the last couple days. Need to consider a new daily driver. The thought of not only visiting the gas station, no oil changes, or hoses or belts or radiator fluid, etc. many don’t have transmissions to worry about.

My plan is to hopefully never visit a public charging station. Any trip more that 200 miles round trip would be done by a gas powered car.

I am starting to think there could be missed opportunity here, how many people have a third car that is sporty, but doesn't go on road trips and doesn't need to be practical. Thinking a Miata that could sit in the garage with the top down, plugged in and waiting, that could go ~150mi and 0-60 in ~3.5 or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    And where do they say the hydrogen is to come from?
    Self generated maybe. The retired cop who was killed in the recent grocery store mass shooting. I saw a video where he was performing a series of test for the patent examiners. Ive also seen a video of a small generator running a similar type setup. I dont have any details to share or places to go look I would think a search should provide some info.
    I believe the generator video may have been an advertisement for a kit or maybe instructions.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List