Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few years ago, the Taycan, Porsche's EV, was their most popular model. No longer and the dealers screamed bloody under about making the Macan EV only, leading to continuing ICE Macans.
    can't vouch for the source, but these are purported to be the 2021 and 2022 numbers
    https://www.best-selling-cars.com/br...ales-by-model/

In reading this, I think maybe what I had read was that Porche SUVs (Cayenne and Macan combined) outsold all other models.

Taycan may be "popular" but looks like it's severely trounced by either SUV model in true sales.

So I can understand dealers not wanting to mess with that!

Name:  Screenshot 2024-01-15 141242.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  49.5 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

One of my jiu jitsu friends works for a company doing Li-Ion battery recycling. I was asking him about safety procedures for fire. He informed me the biggest danger isn't the high heat - it is that the batteries produce various fluoride gases when combusted - including highly toxic HF and HFA as a byproduct.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-09784-z

Hydrofluoric gas and acid are two of the worst things for humans and actually any vertebrates. I'll be honest, that this is not widely acknowledged by the EPA, NHTSA, or insurance companies is absolutely shocking to me. This is a dirty little secret of EVs.

I am far and away more concerned about first responders and citizens being exposed to HF and HFA from EV crashes than I am the fire intensity.

Site Supporter
    To be fair, being exposed to highly toxic stuff is what we do for a living. Also, SOP for any vehicle fire is attack from upwind and uphill if at all possible, so in most cases time inside the smoke is minimal.

The bigger problem, from my retired point of view, is how resource intensive they are. I'd be interested in how many person and fire truck hours they spent managing the cars in that video posted upthread, I'm guessing it was a lot more than the actual house fire. If the HF is going to degrade PPE to the point you'll be trashing stuff after every EV fire, all the worse. We're having the same supply chain issues as everyone else, and beyond the money if you're waiting 6 months for replacements that becomes a problem quickly. A local agency just ordered a ladder truck. Delivery in 4 YEARS! 5 or 10 years ago that would have been 12-18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    One of my jiu jitsu friends works for a company doing Li-Ion battery recycling. I was asking him about safety procedures for fire. He informed me the biggest danger isn't the high heat - it is that the batteries produce various fluoride gases when combusted - including highly toxic HF and HFA as a byproduct.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-09784-z

Hydrofluoric gas and acid are two of the worst things for humans and actually any vertebrates. I'll be honest, that this is not widely acknowledged by the EPA, NHTSA, or insurance companies is absolutely shocking to me. This is a dirty little secret of EVs.

I am far and away more concerned about first responders and citizens being exposed to HF and HFA from EV crashes than I am the fire intensity.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    can't vouch for the source, but these are purported to be the 2021 and 2022 numbers
    https://www.best-selling-cars.com/br...ales-by-model/

In reading this, I think maybe what I had read was that Porche SUVs (Cayenne and Macan combined) outsold all other models.

Taycan may be "popular" but looks like it's severely trounced by either SUV model in true sales.

So I can understand dealers not wanting to mess with that!

Name:  Screenshot 2024-01-15 141242.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  49.5 KB
    Thanks for those numbers. Where I was confused, was between Porsche Experience Center deliveries vs sales. A year ago they started only doing Taycan and specialty deliveries at the CA PEC.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP;1544461 A local agency just ordered a ladder truck. Delivery in [B
    4 YEARS![/B] 5 or 10 years ago that would have been 12-18 months.
    I met with a power transmission company a while back and they reported 36 to 50 month lead times for things like transformers and other critical infrastructure... We're clearly in the wrong businesses....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Best line in the whole article

“ EV doubters like Toyota bet on hybrids, and now look prescient”
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Best line in the whole article

“ EV doubters like Toyota bet on hybrids, and now look prescient”

No surprise.

When I first started looking at this stuff, and reading some less optimistic sites, it became pretty obvious that the logistics just aren't going to work out. If anyone pushing this had thought it through, they would have incentivized building the infrastructure before paying people to buy the cars. We're talking a lot of those transformers that @RoyGBiv was talking about upthread.

It doesn't help that the Venn diagram of people with a good lifestyle fit ( city dwellers making short trips) and a good logistical fit (dedicated, offstreet, in cold climates garaged parking) doesn't overlap very much.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Hybrids had their wandering period, where there was an explosion of different options and explorations; and as the timeline extends, most everything has consolidated back to two predominant options. More tellingly, each of those options are well into their simplifying and streamlining phases of product development; and rather than add more, they remove something else.

Mild hybrids have for the most part fallen by the wayside; leaving only the concept of using RWD electric motors to make otherwise FWD vehicles situationally AWD, whether for traction or for increased HP.

Traction motors powered by traction batteries have obviated the need for a separate starter motor, and so-configured hybrids are reportedly more robust in cold weather, given the combination of greater volume of stored energy, greater electrical output, and the resultant higher capability motor to turn over the ICE.

Kawasaki's Ninja 7 is in customer hands and bringing Toyota HSD-type functions in an incredibly small footprint, with a smaller increase in weight or volume than would have been expected even 5 years ago.

Hino M-class hybrids have been galumphing about for over a decade now, to the point where the primary indicator of being the hybrid variant is fuel efficiency and a little more pep departing a stop. (I suspect that body of data is why Toyota configured the i-FORCE Max as they did for the new Tacomas and Tundras.)

I don't think pure-electric systems are ever going to get past certain bottlenecks, and it's maddening that there doesn't appear to be an equivalent to Goddard's rocket equation in play for EV design, relative to the weight penalty of batteries. The Hummer EV are fascinatingly strange folks to read around the internet, with the combination of piety and largesse acting as a driver for different opinions.

I do think that prudent companies may reexplore the PHEV concept, that I suspect has also plateaued. Fix the batteries either for efficiency in net design or at what provides for the nominal commute, and then have an integral range-extender type micro-ICE with micro-tank to get you through the roadtrip - said ICE being solely for high-efficiency electrical generation. Sort of a Tesla with two ARC Micro Generators sound-insulated to either side of the trunk, if you will.

There's some very cool stuff to do with electric vehicles and so forth, and I think their development will pay massive dividends to the general automotive world; but the Nissan LEAF gen1 and the Mitsubishi i-MiEV are pretty stark examples of how relevant the proportionate depreciation of the net asset due to single-component wear-life drastically changes the overall cost-dynamic.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

What is startling is how quickly EV vehicles have gone from the "it child" to dead on arrival. I still love driving an EV, but it is a specific use vehicle as opposed to primary. My friend who is GM of a Fors dealer in Montana says they are still selling Lightnings but the Mustang E's are slow. The GM at a Porsche dealer in the SW says Taycan sales have screeched a halt and there is little interest in the new EV Macan.

User Tag List