Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I was always curious how charging was going to work in places line NYC where apartments are the main housing. Or any apartment complex for that matter. NYC is mostly underground parking or parking garages but here its mostly outside parking spots. Is each parking spot going to get a charger? Are people going to start unplugging their neighbors to plug their own in (longer cord)?

And another thing, apartments here are typically low income and while most people are live and let live and go about their lives, there is a subset of criminals and hooligans. Vandalizing the chargers seems like would be an obvious issue.
    In the midwest, I'd figure copper scrap prices will directly correlate with missing charging cables and boxes.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    In the midwest, I'd figure copper scrap prices will directly correlate with missing charging cables and boxes.
    It’s the new deflated tire without a spare or Jack. Just call someone. It will either be stolen and show up at a pawn shop. Or various things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    They always show glamours pictures of elegantly dressed people hooking up their chargers in the outdoor driveways of specular homes, presumably in gated communities...

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    As mentioned up thread (I am in EV nirvana land) Insurance companys are beginning to tell building owners no ev's do to fire concerns and not being easy to put out when the batteries think its July 4th

I also think many battery fires arn't covered much in the EV loving media
    I think the opposite is true. We've had 120 years of fires from ICE vehicles and generally don't think twice about them. Did you know over 3,000 ICE Hyundai & Kias have spontaneously caught fire over the last ~decade (even when parked)? In the last year, tanker truck fires have destroyed bridges in Vermont, Connecticut, & Philadelphia.

The issue with battery fires is that we're using the equivalent of buckey brigades to fight them. We learned to do better than throw water on gas fires and we'll learn better ways to fight battery fires.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I think the opposite is true. We've had 120 years of fires from ICE vehicles and generally don't think twice about them. Did you know over 3,000 ICE Hyundai & Kias have spontaneously caught fire over the last ~decade (even when parked)? In the last year, tanker truck fires have destroyed bridges in Vermont, Connecticut, & Philadelphia.

The issue with battery fires is that we're using the equivalent of buckey brigades to fight them. We learned to do better than throw water on gas fires and we'll learn better ways to fight battery fires.
    I would say it’s an issue with available materials that can and will kaboom when they want. There’s a reason fire safety standards are. But your not going to get the . Gov (especially a municipality)to adapt to demand of what they need to do to adequately fight these potentially dangerous and noxious emissions. That dangers all involved and even the tow truck driver that just takes the a car to a yard. It’s the new NIMBY.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Lots of EVs around here, but I've yet to see an EV fire. Seen a few ICE fires though; last one was in December. Was memorable as it was a squad car.

Name:  police-car-on-fire-on-reston-parkway-v0-2e6t5o4ox75c1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  29.9 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Lots of EVs around here, but I've yet to see an EV fire. Seen a few ICE fires though; last one was in December. Was memorable as it was a squad car.

Name:  police-car-on-fire-on-reston-parkway-v0-2e6t5o4ox75c1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  29.9 KB
    Looking at the pile of dry leaves the car is parked on, it’s obvious this was due to faulty fuel injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Looking at the pile of dry leaves the car is parked on, it’s obvious this was due to faulty fuel injectors.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    LOL. I recently revisited that series and remember that. AJ was about to get it on with a young, pre NCIS Emily Wickersham.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List