Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I believe the Ram has a gas generator in the bed or will (Ford will copy)
    This would make a lot of sense, IMO. I could drive an electric truck about 340 days a year. A range extender onboard for those other 25 days would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Ford Powerboost (hybrid) not meant to be towed with too often. A boat or light trailer a few times a year is fine (according to a local fleet friend)
    Not sure why, it is the same powertrain as my 3.5EB, not detuned in any way, plus the added torque of the pancake motor added into the equation. Mine has only 420fp and the PB has 570fb, and my experience has been rather positive, starting with our old Carver. Bringing this thing back up over Jellico from Norris Lake made me a fanboi:
    Name:  20150509_095330.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  65.7 KB

We have since downsized, this one is pretty easy:
    Name:  20220625_114816.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  50.2 KB

I have not ever been towing a heavy racecar trailer every weekend or anything, but this has been the best tow vehicle I have ever had. Trying to switch to a van, but the Powerboost would be very tempting if it were available. Having the electric torque from a stop would be appealing.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-06-2023 at 11:24 AM.

BYD's new EV goes 0-60 in 2 seconds and not only can it crab walk, it can also jump:
    Name:  BYD-YangWang-U9-Jump.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  35.5 KB

https://electrek.co/2023/04/10/byd-y...jump-supercar/

(jump is at ~1:15)

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    BYD's new EV goes 0-60 in 2 seconds and not only can it crab walk, it can also jump
    Name:  BYD-YangWang-U9-Jump.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  35.5 KB

https://electrek.co/2023/04/10/byd-y...jump-supercar/

(jump is at ~1:15)
    Well, aside from the whole zero to 60 thing, I knew guys in the 80s who had Malibus that would do much of this.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This article points out a lot of things that seemed obvious to me but somehow none of the EV champions ever considered. Especially the larger car thing - everybody claims they want cleaner cars but they will only buy SUVs, which are the least efficient passenger cars imaginable.

Why isn't more emphasis being put on renewable and less polluting fuels for combustion engines? I don't know anything about the science involved, but it seems like a much more feasible solution.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Ok article but makes the same mistakes and assumptions that many similar ones make.
    It compares a small European country, where trips are typically shorter and which has a decent public transportation infrastructure to the entire US where we are much more diverse in our driving habits and have very little public transportation infrastructure outside large cities.

It also insinuates US drivers should have 2 vehicles; an EV for short trips and a hybrid or ICE for longer trips. That's assuming people have the income and space for specific purpose vehicles. Most have to make do with a single vehicle for all needs, so they're going to get the larger one with greater range. An EV for "in town" use just isn't budget-friendly for most.

The bottom line is range and charging infrastructure must improve for widespread EV adoption to take place. In places like NoVA, we're nearly there, but if you get out to more rural parts of this state, the situation changes.

Aging Wheels on Youtube has some good videos about EV technology and charging challenges during roadtrips. One of my takeaways is that even though charging stations are becoming more commonplace, the quality of those stations varies wildly and you may not be able to get a full charge in a reasonable amount of time, making long distance trips tedious.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    Why isn't more emphasis being put on renewable and less polluting fuels for combustion engines? I don't know anything about the science involved, but it seems like a much more feasible solution.
    Too many people in positions of power are in on the money and influence grift.
    Too many idiot, power-hungry pundits are in on the money and social score grift.

I've been a Hydrogen fan since college (mid 80's)... I still think fuel cells are the future and agree with the above quote. Instead of subsidizing EV's (picking winners), the government should be funding foundational research in Hydrogen production (breeder reactors and co-gen), geothermal and improving solar conversion efficiencies and production methods (all of the above approach).

You have to be an absolute Ostrich not to see that even in Texas, where "green" sources account for only 22% of electricity generation, the highest percentage in the US, the electrons that power your EV come primarily from fossil fuels. Every legislator and pundit that rages about how "clean" EV's are deserves a dick punch from the Wizard of Oz.

Don't get me started on accounting for the energy required to mine for Lithium and Rare Earth elements (a market controlled by China currently) or the pollution and energy required for smelting and recycling Lead, or having to wait around for 45 minutes while your EV charges on a road trip.

<facepalm>
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    This article points out a lot of things that seemed obvious to me but somehow none of the EV champions ever considered. Especially the larger car thing - everybody claims they want cleaner cars but they will only buy SUVs, which are the least efficient passenger cars imaginable.
    I think in general people tend to have very strong feelings about what other people should do. Classic example is a good friend who has been telling me "You should get a Tesla" over a time period in which he has leased or purchased about five ICE cars, including most recently when an EV would have been a realistically available alternative. And people always villainize SUVs, but mini vans have not been small for a long time, and a current Odyssey weighs more than a Pilot, and they are both probably only 1k lighter than an F-150.

The article made many good points, but I liked this one:

Name:  junk.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  47.8 KB

IMO, EVs have a lot of good opportunities, but rip-up-and-replace is just not realistic. And they should be simple and cheap and available for people that need basic transportation, but then those people do not live in single family dwellings with (at least) 200 amp service.

Meanwhile I would like to have a $30k Miata that would accelerate like a C8 that I would probably never drive farther than 200mi a day anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Ok article but makes the same mistakes and assumptions that many similar ones make.
    It compares a small European country, where trips are typically shorter and which has a decent public transportation infrastructure to the entire US where we are much more diverse in our driving habits and have very little public transportation infrastructure outside large cities.
    I meant to mention that. Norway has less than half as many people as Ohio, so 20% of the drivers plugging in is probably manageable. I work for a company based in Stockholm, and the big boss has a Tesla, and their electric rates have gone up. I heard he was spending ~$1,500mo USD for his overall electric bill (not sure he heats with it).

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Too many idiot, power-hungry pundits are in on the money and social score grift.

You have to be an absolute Ostrich not to see that even in Texas, where "green" sources account for only 22% of electricity generation, the highest percentage in the US, the electrons that power your EV come primarily from fossil fuels. Every legislator and pundit that rages about how "clean" EV's are deserves a dick punch from the Wizard of Oz.
    But when you trade your tailpipe for a smokestack you get to brag about it at parties...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think in general people tend to have very strong feelings about what other people should do. <snip>

Meanwhile I would like to have a $30k Miata that would accelerate like a C8 that I would probably never drive farther than 200mi a day anyway.
    Many Corvette enthusiasts on the Corvette forums are VERY strongly opposed to the ERay even though it's a "Performance Hybrid" that you can't even plug in. It's engineered for very fast acceleration (quicker than the Z06, which is basically a street-legal race car) — not designed to save gas, and they still don't like it because of the "EV stigma" and the fact that it's technically a hybrid.

A "$30k Miata that would accelerate like a C8" would be awesome, but what you're getting with a C8 is a $70k Corvette that's quicker than most European exotics that cost 3+ times more.
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

User Tag List