Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    During a winter energy crisis, Jimmy Carter told America to turn down their thermostats to 65 and put on a sweater and America hated him for it. Americans don't want to be told their behavior is unsustainable, they want someone to promise them a miracle that lets them keep doing the same things.
    This. Americans want everything greener, safer, more efficient, etc. As long as it is done by someone else and is not an inconvenience to them...
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The first oil change interval on our Sprinter van is 20,000 miles. Is that a bad idea?
    The answer I like to give people is...
    • early is better than late
    • First oil changes should be done EXTREMELY early; break-in oil and all the material that sheds early on will be in it, contaminating the oil.
    • Second and third changes should be short as well, but getting longer (possibly to manufacturer recommendations)
    • always change the filter as well.
    • get your oil analysed. Blackstone Labs is cheap ($35 for a gas engine). Learn what your engine is actually doing.
      I know I can safely run all my vehicles to at least 6k miles from testing, and they're claiming 7.5k. I'm not pushing it that far. 6k gives me a margin of detergents and additives.
      Plus if I'm "severe" with a vehicle, i'm not above doing an out of sequence oil change, just to be safe.
    • check your oil level regularly. look around and under your vehicle regularly. check your tire pressures, your washer fluid, your wipers.
      even if you don't fix things yourself, at least you get more familiar with the overall condition of your vehicle and you can tell your mechanic to look more closely at something, or have a better idea if you're getting scammed.
    • replace stuff when it breaks. don't wait.

there's more, but that gets most people started.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Hydrogen breeder reactors. Real.
    Please tell me more. I’m familiar with fission breeder reactors. I’m familiar with hydrogen used in fuel cells and ICE uses. I’ve never heard of a hydrogen breeder reactor.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Please tell me more. I’m familiar with fission breeder reactors. I’m familiar with hydrogen used in fuel cells and ICE uses. I’ve never heard of a hydrogen breeder reactor.
    https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/3...gen-production

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.13182/NT06-A3766
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 04-14-2024 at 05:20 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Long read ...

..but lots of info on the dark side of the hoax.
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/ev...y-expert-warns

User Tag List