Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric vehicles catch-all thread

Site Supporter
    One benefits of a microtech is a glass breaker is on the knife.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Pre underwater or post?
    How about each of the three scenarios, still above the water line, while submerging, and finally, submerged? I carry a Leatherman, would that work better?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Would 17 rounds of 9mm create a space large enough to egress through?
    I would think it should weaken the side glass enough that the water would push the glass out of the window?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How about each of the three scenarios, still above the water line, while submerging, and finally, submerged? I carry a Leatherman, would that work better?
    You are talking as a helicopter pilot who probably knows situational awareness. A leatherman ain’t getting you out of sinking or drowning in a box. Unless you realize the option’s available.

Having said that. Above the waterline I would have the inclination to not enter the water. Still above the waterline oh shit my box shouldn’t be here. While submerging I need to move in about three seconds and realize this vehicle I’m in is fucking sinking I fucked up. My primary through this is get out of the box if I realized get out it of it. Passengers on board and this and that.

For non-laminated side glass (nicer and I think some day all will have laminated) the tip of a knife to chip the edge will shatter tempered. Or carry a piece of spark plug insulator (the white ceramic part) and throw it at side glass and it will shatter. A spring loaded glass breaker is best though

A HVP like a 9mm will shatter non laminated also.

Since this is an EV thread when the battery shorts and blows it should launch the glass top of the Tesla for easier egress.

Site Supporter
    What would 6 rounds of .32 H&R do?

Here's a demonstration of the laminated glass issue that is probably present in most modern cars.

Also sounds like there is not a manual door release in the back seat? I like my 4runner...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    For non-laminated side glass (nicer and I think some day all will have laminated) the tip of a knife to chip the edge will shatter tempered.
    They are mandated in the US now, I forget exactly what year but it was somewhere around 2020-ish.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    They are mandated in the US now, I forget exactly what year but it was somewhere around 2020-ish.
    Do you know why?
    I can think of lots of reasons, just wondering. Theft resistance? Preventing glass from blowing in on a collision?
    Way back in a time long, long ago, I had a break-in where I am pretty sure ingress was as simple as a spring-loaded center punch (a radar detector was stolen from my Bronco II, if that puts an ancient timeline on it...).

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    for a while the Ram Tradesman 1500 could be had in total stripper mode, including crank windows and rubber floor in place of carpeting. last of the truly old school bare bones vehicles.
    My 2003 wasn't a tradesman but it had crank windows which I loved. It also had carpet, a console, and a multi- speaker (6?) CD stereo. Loved that truck but the 4.7 was gutless as far a towing anything heavy went.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

FWIW I looked into this for our vehicles recently. The 2018 F150 has laminated windshield and front side windows. The rear side windows (extended cab) are tempered. I didn't look at the rear window because we have a topper there. The 2024 Forester has laminated windshield and moonroof; all the side windows are tempered. Didn't check the rear.

This is from the manuals, plus the glass is labeled.

User Tag List